Huggies Forum

Chocolate cake Rss

Hi lovelies, Im just after a good basic, versatile chocky cake recipe.
The recipes Ive got make either a dry, bitter or bland cake sad and Im getting the shIts with it! LOL!!
All I want is one that turns out scrumptiously moist, chocolaty, and is good to use for kids birthday cakes,lunchboxes and stuff like that.

Many thanks in advance chickies smile

hey there,
this is the BEST choccie cake recipe ever and you will never make any other i guarantee!

2 CUPS WATER
3 CUPS CASTER SUGAR
250G BUTTER, CHOPPED
1/3 CUP COCOA POWDER
1 TEASPOON BICARB SODA
3 CUPS SELF RAISING FLOUR
4 EGGS LIGHTLY BEATEN

for the Frosting-
90G BUTTER
1/3 CUP WATER
1/2 CUP CASTER SUGAR
1 1/2 CUPS ICING SUGAR
1/3 CUP COCOA POWDER

grease deep 27cm by 33cm baking dish and line with baking paper

combine water, sugar, butter, cocoa and soda in large pan; stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. boil then immediately simmer, uncovered, for 5mins. Transfer the mixture to large bowl; cool. Add sifted flour and eggs, beat with electric mixer until smooth; pour mixture into prepared dish.
Bake in moderate oven 50min. stand cake for 10min and then turn onto wire rack to cool. spread with fudge frosting.

FUDGE FROSTING

combine butter, water and caster sugar in small pan; stir over heat without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. sift icing sugar and cocoa into medium bowl; stir in hot butter mix in batchwa. cover; refrigerate one hour or until thickened. beat until spreadable.

ENJOY!!!!!!

Thankyou so much!! Mwwaah!!! LOL!!
I really appreciate you taking the time to type that out for moi smile

I was beginning to despair that I wouldnt find a good recipe- I thought I found a good one on Monday and made it and it rose all unevenly and tasted bland again...so DH and I kind of pulled the guts of it out, warmed it up and scoffed it with icecream, LOL!!

Im off to make this one now, woop! Im excited, decent chocky cake finally!!!

Thanks again smile

btw, your little man is absolutely beautiful!

I just had to come back to let you know I made this cake earlier and it is brilliant!! It rose perfectly and evenly,is deliciously moist and scrumdiddilyumptious!
It makes a nice big cake (I HATE those little flat crappy excuses of cake...if Im going to scoff some chocky cake I want a slab of it, LOL).
Just a warning for anyone else thats going to try this recipe....when it says to put the butter, choc etc in a large saucepan use a very large saucepan, because it expands like you wouldnt believe!
So easy, so tasty and EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks so much again smile

this is a really good one, never fails and easy.

Beat 2 eggs wtih 1 cup sugar
Add 300mls thickened cream and beat.
Add 2 cups SR flour and a pinch of salt and about 2 table spoons of cocoa, more or less to get the colour the colour of chocolate yogo!!
Thats is bake in a large slab tin, i used like a slice baking tin and make it kind of flatish. It rises a fair bit.
Bake for around 40 mins on 170.

you can turn it into 2 smaller cakes, it freezes well.
for an occassion, you can ice it and fill with whipped cream.
Tagging for later!
hey SarahHip, i forgot to mention that! I love this cake and have been making it for years it is def a family favourite and always turns out sooooooooo YUMMY! glad you liked it!

OMG! YUM! there goes the diet tongue
Just marking smile
just wanted to say thanks for posting that recipe, was great grin, made it for my daughters 1st birthday and eveyone loved it smile
was super nervous coz ive never baked a cake before lol but worked out great grin
I have a great choccie cake that always turns out moist when I bake it. My DD is allergic to eggs, milk and nuts though, so it is essentially a vegan cake.

1 1/2 CUPS SELF RAISING FLOUR
1 CUP CASTER SUGAR
1/4 CUP COCOA POWDER
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
1/3 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
1 TEASPOON WHITE VINEGAR
1 CUP WATER

PREHEAT OVEN TO 150 DEGREES. GREASE A ROUND OR LOG PAN.
SIFT ALL DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER. ADD WET INGREDIENTS AND MIX ON HIGH FOR A COUPLE MINUTES UNTIL SMOOTH.
BAKE AT 150 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 35-40 MINUTES. USE SKEWER TO TEST.
RECIPE CAN BE DOUBLED TO MAKE 1 SLAB TIN FOR BIRTHDAY CAKES.
MAKES ABOUT 12 CUPCAKES.
FOR A VANILLA CAKE, OMIT COCOA AND ADD A LITTLE EXTRA VANILLA.
CAN BE MADE INTO MINI MUFFINS - BAKE FOR 10 MINS AT 150 DEGREES.

Enjoy!

YUUUUMMMM.... bookmarking for later smile

Sign in to follow this topic