Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Engagement Party Rss

Hi everyone,

So I got engaged a couple of weeks ago and Im trying to decided what to do for the food side of the party. We are having it at home and trying to keep costs to a minimum.

My first thought was do heaps of food with lasgnes chicken pieces snags and kebabs on the barbie also salads rolls and nibblies on the tables.

Another idea was have a hamburger ho down. Homemade patties with every conceivable ingredient and make your own burger according to your own tastes.

Or have a gourmet sausage fest with different types of sausages with rolls & salads.

Or just have a hot nibblies menu eg mini quiches, pies, sausage rolls, dim sims mini pizza slices etc.

Part of me is saying keep it simple & you can enjoy your night not having to spend most of it cooking and tidying up but part of me says go all out and have a feast. We have the help if we need it. We are supplying minimal alcohol and I feel we should provide a feast due to this fact.

Thoughts and ideas would be great.

Cheers

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

love the hamburger idea!!!!
Congratulations!

All of the ideas sound good but I would go with first or last. Hamburgers could be very messy for guests and I'm not a huge fan of sausages, gourmet or otherwise.

Are you opposed to alcohol? I think at an engagement party it would be expected for the host to provide at least basics, such as beer, wine & champagne. I'm not sure where you live, but this can be done quite cheaply at Dan Murphy's. Or if you can't afford it, perhaps you could ask close friends or family members to bring some in lieu of a gift. My brother bought the wine for ours and my parents the beer.
Not at all opposed to alcohol. We will be supplying some beer & wine but we dont want people coming because of the free booze. Majority will bring their own anyway. Its only a small party of 50 and 10 of those are kids.

Im thinkn lots of nibblies hot & cold. With a basic barbie.

Hi

Sounds great, easy to deal with.

Guests should be coming to celebrate with you, not for the freebies, I agree.

Most bring their own drinks anyway.

Our wedding reception is at a pub in a private room. We're having an open tab for the bar as only a small wedding, a few kids & nearly half the 29 guests don't drink. We are having cocktail food platters.

Just wanted to keep things informal & we don't have a huge budget either.

Enjoy your party. Congrats on your engagement & wish you both all the best for your future.
We went to an engagement party that put on roast meat rolls with gravy and salad (coleslaw always goes well on these rolls!!) It was a pig and lamb on the spit but I assume you could roast the meat traditionally - especially if only for 50. Must admit that it didn't sound too appealing when I heard it was what we were going to be eating but it is definitely up there with the best feed we've ever had at a party... Was a very nice surprise!
When my sister had her engagement party she asked in instead of gifts if everybody could bring a plate of something and then she assigned hot and cold foods dessert or savoury.

They still had to get more food but they got plates of sushi, bbq chickens from woolies and found a whole saler who did hots foods like spring rolls and stuff and just bought that in bulk and cooked that up as well.

We had members of the family organized with what they had to do and they were more than happy to help.
Thanks for the ideas. We looked at a spit. Hire is $110 and then have to buy the meat on top. Then we thought pizza oven $180. Everything is so expensive these days. Going for a simple barbie. smile

Not at all opposed to alcohol. We will be supplying some beer & wine but we dont want people coming because of the free booze. Majority will bring their own anyway. Its only a small party of 50 and 10 of those are kids.

Im thinkn lots of nibblies hot & cold. With a basic barbie.

People aren't going to come because of free booze! Lol. Beer & wine is all you need anyway. If you do want guests to bring their own as well, I would just make sure you specify BYO as I would never take alcohol to an engagement party without being advised to do so - but I would always take a gift - similar to wedding gift but smaller budget.

We had our engagement party at my parents' and just had all sorts of hot and cold nibblies, and it worked a treat. We also often do a barbie for parties and you can't go wrong! Have a great party!! smile
Sign in to follow this topic