Huggies Forum

Do you call your MIL mum? Rss

Hello,

Just wondering how many people call their parents in law mum and dad? My partner and I are engaged and My Fiances mum has started to refer to herself as mum when shes talking to me. I feel a bit uncomfortable with this and I cant imagine ever calling her mum. Mum is a special word to me and I feel like it's unfair on my mum to be calling someone else mum?
What do you think?

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

i dont call them mum and dad i do think it would be a bit strange
Thats absolutely right!!! Mum is a special word and not one you throw around. I have been married for 6 years and i love his Mum and she is nice and helpful and i appreciate her BUT i do not and never will call her Mum. Its your choice if you do or dont, but dont feel pressured. smile
Im a bit like you on this one. I never called my MIL mum but my ex called my mum mum but only because he wanted to

Hello,

Just wondering how many people call their parents in law mum and dad? My partner and I are engaged and My Fiances mum has started to refer to herself as mum when shes talking to me. I feel a bit uncomfortable with this and I cant imagine ever calling her mum. Mum is a special word to me and I feel like it's unfair on my mum to be calling someone else mum?
What do you think?

NO, but I call my best friends mum MUM, but that's because when we were 13 and I met her for the first time my friend introduced her as mum. lol

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Never have and 13 years on probably never will. DPs parents are nice enough but it even feels odd if i have to write it out on a card card! Like I have to really think about writing mum and dad and not M & J!!! But DP calls my mum 'mum' and has done pretty much since he met her (all my firends growing up called her mum too!) I feel a little bad when he calls her mum in front of the outlaws because they kind of look at me expectantly but i just can't do it.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

I agree although I do love and get on with my mil really well I would never call her mum, but since little one was born I now just refer to her as nanny! Which she loves! My mum still now calls my grandparents / her in laws nan and grandad, suppose it's just easier! X
I call my MIL 'Mama B' but when we found out we were pregnant I've called her 'Grandma B'.
I call her by her first name but my mum calls her MIL and FIL mum and dad. doesn't bother me that she does it but I wouldn't feel comfy.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

I have a different name for my MIL sometimes it starts with a b.....
Well i am the odd one out. I call my inlaws mum and dad smile

Mum is a very special word to me too. But in all honesty, they are my second parents. They didnt raise me but they treat me like a daughter and i know they will always be there for me.
I don't think there is anything wrong with calling my MIL mum, i just don't really think suits her lol I would much rather call her by her first name. And when DD gets older, call her "Nanny Di".
I have only just starting calling my step mum mum after 11 years. That is just due to getting used to calling her by her first name. My step mum has pretty much raised me and she thinks it's a real honor that her step children now call her mum, or mumma, which is actually what i say smile

Sign in to follow this topic