Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddler Accessories & Equipment
  5. when do you change from baby carseat

when do you change from baby carseat Rss

My 20mth old girl is 14kg and i still have her in the baby carseat I originally bought her. Problem is that her head is well above the top of the seat. I thought this was dangerous and when their head was above the top of the seat you had to swap them to a booster/child seat?? I read the specifications, and it says that babyseats are up to 18kg, and the booster seat is from 14kg for ages 4-7. Is she too young for a booster with a harness? i've actually had her in my nieces booster with harness and she looks like the right size for it, but not sure whether it is against the law or not??

What do you ladies think I should do? Keep the babyseat even though her head is well above the top of it or buy a booster with a harness?

Thanks for your help smile

We have purchased a booster seat with buiklt in harness for our 21month old DS. Although he falls into the weight catergrey for his previous car seat he is too tall. If your DD's eyes are level with the back of her carseat she to has outgrown the carseat and if in a crash she will not be correctly protected.

Have a look around at car seats there are alot out there. We went with the Safety 1st Air protect Booster seat as the head rest is adjustable and has one on the highest backs currently available on the market.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/dh24m7.png

You have to take height and weight into consideration. Her head shouldnt be above the seat.

I'd move her into a carseat that goes to 24kg like a SnS Maxi Rider as she is under 4 she can't go to a booster without a harness (NSW). These have a built in harness till 18kg (but rated to 20kg and then you use a harness attachment. If the carseat has AHR (the wings around the top of the seat for head protection) her head should be centred on this.

Hope that helps.

PS the creps report list should help:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/children/crep.pdf

My 20mth old girl is 14kg and i still have her in the baby carseat I originally bought her. Problem is that her head is well above the top of the seat. I thought this was dangerous and when their head was above the top of the seat you had to swap them to a booster/child seat?? I read the specifications, and it says that babyseats are up to 18kg, and the booster seat is from 14kg for ages 4-7. Is she too young for a booster with a harness? i've actually had her in my nieces booster with harness and she looks like the right size for it, but not sure whether it is against the law or not??

What do you ladies think I should do? Keep the babyseat even though her head is well above the top of it or buy a booster with a harness?

Thanks for your help smile

are her eyes above the back of the seat? if theya re then you need another seat with a higher back, if you buy a booster with a harness try to get one with some side protection and make sure she fits well in it with the belts positioned correctley on her (the lowest slot may be too high on her)

I put my baby in a harnessed booster at 2 and was fine, had good side protection so she didnt flop over when sleeping either, you can even get some that recline a little bit now too
yep, her eyes are well above the back of the baby seat. there is a Hi-Pod baby seat on special at Target at the moment, but it says it needs a specific type of harness, so not sure if im gonna get that one. but as i dont have a car of my own and my mum only comes over once a week or so (ive been putting her in her cousins booster seat if we go out) ive got a bit of time to get one. Thanks smile

My DD was 11kgs and 2yrs 3months when i transfered to a maxi rider smile
I feel you NEED to purchase a convertible booster ASAP. If her head is well over the seat, she has NO side impact protection in an accident, so if you were t-boned, her head would not have the side of the carseat to stop it from being thrown sideways. I have just upgraded DDs seat in DPs car because her eyes/ears were level with the top of the plastic shell of the seat.

The convertible booster caters for 8-18kg in inbuilt the harness in toddler mode, then 18-26kg using the adult seatbelt (or with Protecta harness) in booster mode.

There are quite a few on the market these days, and you can now buy them off the shelf in big w and target, as well as all the leading baby stores.

We have two, DS is using the Safe n Sound Maxi Rider in booster mode with a protecta harness in my car, and DD is using a Cargo Marathon (Big W brand but made by the same people as Safe n Sound - Britax) in toddler mode in DPs car.

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

Just to help clarify, the law states that your baby needs to be using a carseat with an inbuilt harness till they are 4 or reach 18kgs. An add on harness is only able to be used when they are 4 years old or have reached 18kgs. You need to buy a convertible booster seat and use the inbuilt harness. Look for a tall backed seat since you want it to last til they are 7 years old (law). Is the Hipod Senator the one you are looking at? That looks like a good seat for you to get. The Barcelona and Boston are for older children and not suitable for a 20 month old. Please don't use a booster seat with add on harness as besides being illegal they aren't safe for her age.
Sign in to follow this topic