Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. What age did your child drop their day sleep?

What age did your child drop their day sleep? Rss

Just wondering what age your child dropped their day sleep, and if it helped them sleep at night?

Currently DD goes to bed at 7pm and wakes anywhere from 1am, and once she wakes she is up and down until 5am when we get up. She sleeps about 2 hours in the day. She's almost 2 1/2 years old.

We've always had trouble with her sleep, but I am so exhausted from being woken up so early all the time. I'd be happy if she'd sleep until 5!

Any helpful advice is appreciated. smile
What time does she have her day sleep? Do you put her down because she is tired or because you want her to have a sleep?
Hi. DD1 (3) is in the process of dropping hers now. She will nap with DH or I on the weekend, but during the week, she's fine without it. I wouldn't say it has changed how she sleeps at night (cheeky bugger sleeps with us anyways!), but she falls asleep a lot quicker. She sleeps about 8-630, but she slept the same amount of time at night regardless of the days activities and if she'd had a sleep. I sure miss those day sleeps as she was having a couple of hours at the same time as DD2!

As PP said, what time does she have her sleep - maybe it's too late in the day? Or you could try not letting her sleep so long in the day. That's what I had to do for a while. Although I didn't physically wake my DD up as it would make her cranky. I would just make enough noise around the house that would wake her up.
I'm putting her down to sleep because I want her to have a sleep, but also because she's up at 5am, she's so tired by the afternoon she needs one too.

I lay down beside her bed with her at about 12.30, and usually by about 1 she's asleep. She fights it for the first 20 minutes though.

I've tried waking her up after 1 hour, but she screams for a good half an hour and then collapses back to sleep. So I've just let her sleep until she wakes up on her own. I've also tried making noise around the house to wake her up but once she's asleep in the day she's out to it.

I'd say if I drop her day sleep, she'd be really cranky by mid-afternoon and probably crash out by 5 or 6.

PS thanks for the replies!

I'm putting her down to sleep because I want her to have a sleep, but also because she's up at 5am, she's so tired by the afternoon she needs one too.

I lay down beside her bed with her at about 12.30, and usually by about 1 she's asleep. She fights it for the first 20 minutes though.

I've tried waking her up after 1 hour, but she screams for a good half an hour and then collapses back to sleep. So I've just let her sleep until she wakes up on her own. I've also tried making noise around the house to wake her up but once she's asleep in the day she's out to it.

I'd say if I drop her day sleep, she'd be really cranky by mid-afternoon and probably crash out by 5 or 6.

PS thanks for the replies!

I think all you can do is try her without one and see if it makes a difference. it may also be just a bad habit she has created.
My first was a few months shy of turning 3 when she dropped her day sleep - made no difference to her night sleeping, she only slept 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours max during the day 12.30pm to 2ish and into bed at 7pm sleeping through till around 7am.

My second is now 2 years 4 months and has a day sleep 12.30 till 2 as well and also into bed 7pm and sleeps through till around 7am, sometimes 6.30am, sometimes 7.30am.

She's had about 5 times in the past month where she wont go to sleep in the day, she seems really worse for wear not having the sleep but the more often she does it the more I'm thinking she's going to drop the sleep in the next couple of months.

I think your little on has gotten into a bad routine and with the early wake up and being awake during the night she's needing the day sleep because of that but that in turn is keeping her up at night. Could also be that when she wakes at night she needs to be told firmly that its still night time and time for sleep, and possibly controlled crying. What do you do when she's "up and down"... is she getting out of bed? Coming into yours? Is she in a bed or cot?

If you have been putting the foot down and she still awake every night through the night and up early then perhaps you should try dropping the day sleep and for the first week put her to bed of a night at 6.30pm... then move it to 7pm as she adjusts and give it another week. Sometimes it takes a month or two of having a day sleep a few days a week then the other days not before they adjust to not needing it and sleeping overnight.
DD is 2 yrs 3 months and is now having a few days here and there without a sleep. And yes she sleeps much better when she doesnt have a day sleep. She is out to it by 7pm and sleeps right through til 7am or later.
The days she has a day sleep i dont let her sleep any later than 2pm. Usually 45 mins to an hour is all i give her otherwsie i cant get her to sleep until 8/830pm and then she is up quite early. I think 2 hours is a long day sleep for a 2.5 yr old also.
DD also hates being woken and cries and carries on but i have found that she settles quite quickly if i put Dora on for her. This usally gives her 20 mins to slowly wake up and once finished she is fine. I suggest cutting down her day sleep big time or even trialling dropping the day sleep. Definately not every day but maybe a few days a week. Let us know how you go.
Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Ebony&Ivory- When she's "up and down" she comes into my room. I put her back in her bed and tell her it's not time to wake up yet and tell her to go back to sleep until Daddy's music comes on (alarm clock radio). If I'm lucky, she'll lay in her bed for half an hour, and then it repeats until DH's alarm comes on.

DD is in a bed in her own room. We leave the door open as she freaks out with it closed and I have tried leaving it closed before with no success either.

We recently started threatening to close it if she doesn't get back in her bed, and have done it a few mornings at 3am when she won't go back to sleep.

She just yells and cries, and doesn't give up. By 4.30 I'm angry and so tired. All she wants is for me to get up with her and I refuse. I believe I'm pretty firm with her but she's a very stubborn little girl. I always snap before she does.

I tried dropping the day sleep one day this week, and DD fell asleep watching a DVD with me at about 2.30. She was so exhausted, there was no way I could keep her awake. I only let her sleep for 1.5 hours, and even then she woke up really cranky. The next day she was at daycare and she usually sleeps 1.5 - 2 hours there.

I wish I could work out why she was waking so early.

Anyway, any more suggestions are welcome smile

Ebony&Ivory- When she's "up and down" she comes into my room. I put her back in her bed and tell her it's not time to wake up yet and tell her to go back to sleep until Daddy's music comes on (alarm clock radio). If I'm lucky, she'll lay in her bed for half an hour, and then it repeats until DH's alarm comes on.

DD is in a bed in her own room. We leave the door open as she freaks out with it closed and I have tried leaving it closed before with no success either.

We recently started threatening to close it if she doesn't get back in her bed, and have done it a few mornings at 3am when she won't go back to sleep.

She just yells and cries, and doesn't give up. By 4.30 I'm angry and so tired. All she wants is for me to get up with her and I refuse. I believe I'm pretty firm with her but she's a very stubborn little girl. I always snap before she does.

I tried dropping the day sleep one day this week, and DD fell asleep watching a DVD with me at about 2.30. She was so exhausted, there was no way I could keep her awake. I only let her sleep for 1.5 hours, and even then she woke up really cranky. The next day she was at daycare and she usually sleeps 1.5 - 2 hours there.

OMG how exhausting. My 2 year old is still in a cot and sleeps with door shut as well, I can see me having these sorts of problems once she moves to a bed - she's fiesty as and can see her waking and banging on the door. When her sister moved to a bed she only came out throughout the night for about a week, after that she got used to a bed and stayed in it. Is it possible your DD is still adjusting to the big bed or has it been long enough now - just thinking out loud.

I've heard of people having sucess with putting a baby gate at the door, so that way door is open but they cannot get out - but at 2 1/2 maybe they could climb over it, my DD would give it a crack I reckon, but its worth a shot.

It sounds like something is keeping her restless at night so maybe something is up with her diet - preservatives and colours can cause frequent night waking. I'm looking into this at the moment because my eldest has issues with this.

Have a look here http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Fact282.htm

Also have a look at the list of additives to avoid

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/information/additives.htm

I have also heard of people using medication to re-adjust their childs sleeping pattern, ie use it for 3 nights so that your child gets a good nights sleep and sometimes that is enough to get them back into a good pattern. Some people find this controversial but perhaps its something to ask your Dr about. There are a couple of things I know of, 1 is Phenergan and 2 is Brauers Calm.

Its so hard when they dont sleep, I hope some of this helps and you can find a solution that works for you.

Hi, this sounds exactly like my ds. He is 29months now and he dropped his day sleep about 2 months ago completely after the month prior of me and him fighting over him having it. We have a two story house and all bedrooms are upstairs. He would just get up and come out of his room all the time and not stay there. Problems started when we moved him from the cot to his bed. We ended up putting a baby gate on the door and it is still there. It is also my security knowing where he is at all times when we have two stories. We tried absolutely everything. Tried taking him back without anyconversation but that just turned into a game for him. Tried leaving him there to cry but he would just cry and cry until i eventually came up. Would then put him back to bed and leave again and he would start crying again. I would attempt for 1 and 1/2 hrs each day to get him to stay in his bed and have a sleep. After we put the gate on he would sit at the gate and just stare at things around his room. I didn't want him to give up his sleep cause i thought he was too young and he definitely still seemd to need one.

So i decided to try him without one. It took a good couple of weeks for him to adjust but is definitely better now. If i take him out in the car through the day he will still crash straight away but at home definitely no day sleep anymore. By cutting out the day sleep he now gos to bed at night and actually stays in it without ne having to go back in to him. So is working well now. He gos to bed at 7pm and wakes sometimes 6am but usually 7am. I have a rule that when daddy is not home he can come in with me after 5am (as daddy is a shift worker) but he has to lay down and go to sleep or i take him back to his own room. All seems to work well now.

Hope some of this may help....

OMG how exhausting. My 2 year old is still in a cot and sleeps with door shut as well, I can see me having these sorts of problems once she moves to a bed - she's fiesty as and can see her waking and banging on the door. When her sister moved to a bed she only came out throughout the night for about a week, after that she got used to a bed and stayed in it. Is it possible your DD is still adjusting to the big bed or has it been long enough now - just thinking out loud.

I've heard of people having sucess with putting a baby gate at the door, so that way door is open but they cannot get out - but at 2 1/2 maybe they could climb over it, my DD would give it a crack I reckon, but its worth a shot.

It sounds like something is keeping her restless at night so maybe something is up with her diet - preservatives and colours can cause frequent night waking. I'm looking into this at the moment because my eldest has issues with this.

Have a look here http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Fact282.htm

Also have a look at the list of additives to avoid

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/information/additives.htm

I have also heard of people using medication to re-adjust their childs sleeping pattern, ie use it for 3 nights so that your child gets a good nights sleep and sometimes that is enough to get them back into a good pattern. Some people find this controversial but perhaps its something to ask your Dr about. There are a couple of things I know of, 1 is Phenergan and 2 is Brauers Calm.

Its so hard when they dont sleep, I hope some of this helps and you can find a solution that works for you.

She's been in a bed for about a year now, she seems to really like it. I like the idea of a gate at her door but she'd just climb it and hurt herself. I've tried both Phenergan and Brauers Calm, both don't seem very effective and even sometimes the Phenergan makes her hyperactive.

I will definitely have a look at those links. I've also heard additives etc can play a big part in night waking.

Thanks again!
Sign in to follow this topic