Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 19 mths and very light sleeper

19 mths and very light sleeper Rss

Hi

I have a 19mth old boy that has always been a very good sleeper and is in his own bed and sleeps from 7pm to 7am. The only problem is that he is such a light sleeper and always has been.

I check on him around 10:30 before I go to bed and have to be so so quiet or I will wake him up when I go in to tuck him in properly.

I am 20wks pregnant and the babys room is just across the hall and Im trying to figure out how I can get my DS to sleep a little heavier so that hopefully I dont have a newborn and a toddler up in the middle of the night.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
my dd1 is a very light sleeper and I too worried that when dd2 arrived we were going to have our hands full with both girls waking through the night.

However, after a few nights of dd2 waking up and crying and then dd1 waking up asking "wassthat?" she realised it was dd2 crying and she just accepted that and went back to sleep.

Now if dd2 wakes through the night we rarely hear from dd1 as she knows what that noise is. She's still a very light sleeper but it doesnt seem to bother her when she hears noises she understands or recognises.

Hey,

My DS is a light sleeper too - to the point that if a light is switched on (with all doors closed) he'll hear the switch!! It's beyond ridiculous! He's 19months too & although he has gotten better with age, we still use lullaby music (used to be white noise) & occasionally use a fan also.........the fan doesn't have to oscillate, but just be on & be a background noise. I've found that both of these work really well.

I agree that background noise can be a life saver, it seems to tune them out smile My little man is quite good, usually sleeps through but doesn't sleep as soundly when there's a full moon (but then neither do I). Don't think there's much I can do about that though!

www.nutrimetics.com.au/sineadfraser

I agree that background noise can be a life saver, it seems to tune them out smile My little man is quite good, usually sleeps through but doesn't sleep as soundly when there's a full moon (but then neither do I). Don't think there's much I can do about that though!

I still have a yucky 18 month old that wakes 4 to 5 times a night...I also use whiet noise cd still as this blocks out any noise during the day and have a pedal stool fan at night as she sleeps in our loungeroom so I am not walking down the other end of the house at night! My boys were really good sleeps but she is a shocker am hoping by the age of 2 things will change...wishful thinking on my part!

If there is no any bedtime routine for your baby, it is recommended to make one and stick to it. Also, make sure that you do it every day on the same time and in the same sequence.

Maintain a consistency so that the sleep process is time bound and follows a particular flow.
My 2nd child used to wake 8-10 times a night fr when jaundice finished (around 10-12 wks) until 18 mths! But he did have good long day sleeps. I tried everything (except formula) as I was committed to breastfeeding and his weight gains were great, he was on 70th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight. I learnt to accept it and accept that's how he is. 3 things I like rule out though are
- are they thirsty for water?
-do they need a worm treatment, as if they have worms this will wake them at night.
-are they warm enough, I like to err on the side of them being nice and toasty, not just lukewarm.
My first child slept 12 hours every night 7-7 from about 8 wks, but day sleeps were 20 mins on the dot, then she was awake no matter what and she was breast and formula fed.
Both baby no 3 & 4 slept like the baby books say they should which consoled me that I wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just the individual baby's sleep rhythm /personality which settled down eventually thankfully. Hang in there you are doing the hard yards, and it should get better.
Hope this helps.
Sign in to follow this topic