for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Ideas for Fussy 3 Year Old

Ideas for Fussy 3 Year Old Lock Rss

I know there are a lot of meal plan threads on here but I’m trying to find ideas for my fussy 3 year old. I don’t pander to him at dinner time. I put the food out and he either eats it or doesn’t and there’s nothing else, it’s his choice. I try to make kid friendly food but even then he still usually chooses to go without and goes to bed with no dinner sad. I know he is good and hungry too as usually he hasn’t eaten much since lunchtime (again his choice as I do offer afternoon tea). And he’s usually telling me he’s hungry and tries to rummage in the cupboard for something to eat.

These are the dinners he will actually eat but I can’t be making them all the time:

Meatballs with pasta sauce and rice (I sneak veg into the meatballs and the sauce)
Zucchini Bake
Quiche
Root Veg Soup with Toast Soldiers
Homemade Sausages and Mash (we have a sausage maker)
Cheesy Veg Muffins
Eggs on Toast
Spaghetti and Cheese Toasted Sandwich

He will not eat pasta like lasagne or pasta bake (with chicken or mince). I did homemade chicken nuggets but he didn’t like them either but they were a bit dry so maybe that's why. Doesn't like Shepherd’s Pie. Or Fried Rice.

So what are your guaranteed success dinners that you know your kiddies will eat?

What is it about 3 year olds!!! Mine is fussy atm too. and we do pretty well the same as you, doesn't get sweets if he doesn't eat his mains either and what's offered is all there is.

Mine will eat pasta though so that's a big help. He also likes risotto (which I make in the rice cooker) and anything in little parcels, like pasties ( I make homemade ones with lots of veg) and I often make homemade chips which he loves as well.

I make chicken nuggets with chicken thighs and they are a hit too, I find breast dries out too much.

A favourite website of mine is www.vegiesmugglers.com.au SHe has lots of good ideas and I have a couple of her recipe books as well. She also has a recipe for homemade tinned spaghetti which has hidden veg in it and tastes quite yummy

Also here is a link to a pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/MumMusingMayhem/toddle...

It's one I've started following and I'm yet to try some recipes but looks inspiring for some new ideas

My 3 yr old will eat

Mac & cheese
Homemade burgers.
Pasta bake with sausages.
Chicken Wraps
Schnitzel and peas
Homemade pizza with ham and cheese.
Sausages
Chicken/Steak Salad

Stir fry she will eat the meat, some rice, likes noodles but often leaves the vege. But if I serve raw carrots and capsicum she will eat that.
Roast she will eat the chicken and not much else.

She doesn't like potato served in any way and leaves that on her plate.
Some times she will eat spag bol and lasagna but not always.

With a lot of the salad meals I give the kids their salad half an hour before we sit down. So burgers is often just eating the chicken and bread separate. Same with the wraps she does try to eat the wrap properly but by the end she is eating it separate.

Tonight we are having steak, salad and bread rolls and she likes all of that.

If he likes eggs will he like ham/bacon and egg pies?
doublewammy wrote:
I make chicken nuggets with chicken thighs and they are a hit too, I find breast dries out too much.

That may have been my mistake as I did use chicken breast. I may have to retry them using thigh.

doublewammy wrote:
A favourite website of mine is www.vegiesmugglers.com.au SHe has lots of good ideas and I have a couple of her recipe books as well. She also has a recipe for homemade tinned spaghetti which has hidden veg in it and tastes quite yummy

Also here is a link to a pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/MumMusingMayhem/toddle...

Thanks I'll check those out.

MamaMum wrote:
If he likes eggs will he like ham/bacon and egg pies?

Hey I never thought of that! He probably would. I loved it as a kid. He does like quiche but I make it without pastry as I am gluten free so I guess that makes it more of a frittata? I'll have to look around and see if such a thing as gluten free pastry exists as I don't think bacon and egg pie would be much chop without it!

Mumof2hunnys wrote:
Hey, you could try crumbed chicken my dd loves it - it's just cornflakes crushed , some paprika, some garlic salt and some lemon pepper. You dip a chicken fillet into plain flour, then egg and milk mixture, then the cornflake mixture with the spices. Then spray with oil and bake in oven for about 30mins

The whole family loves it here. Have you tried mince chow mein my girls love that as well.

Oh that sounds nice may I have your recipe so I can get the quantities right? Also I never sprayed my chicken nuggets with oil but I oven baked them so that may be why they were dry too.

I doubt he'd eat the mince chow mein but I might give it a try even just for me.

what about some non kid foods. My kids have always found standard kid foods pretty dull. They like stuff like mexican and asian food. A mild curry with rice and naan always goes down well. stuff like cold rolls / spring rolls / sushi with dipping sauces etc
OC1246 wrote:
what about some non kid foods. My kids have always found standard kid foods pretty dull. They like stuff like mexican and asian food. A mild curry with rice and naan always goes down well. stuff like cold rolls / spring rolls / sushi with dipping sauces etc

I tried a mild homemade butter chicken tonight - no dice. I even left the chilli out. Can't understand him as it was flippin delicious I tell you. I used thigh meat and it was so tender.

Have also tried Mexican to no avail - nachoes, mexican chicken bake, soft tortilla wraps all rejected every time.

He might like spring rolls - will give it a try thanks for the suggestion smile He does like BBQ sauce.

Hope and Hysteria wrote:
To me it looks like your kid eats quite a variety of foods. DS1 only eats about 3 things, so I would be rapt!
But here's some other kid-friendly suggestions (that DS@ likes) the whole family can have too:

Lentil soup (a change from root veg soup)
minestrone
Couscous or Quinoa pilaff
grilled or pan-fried fish
omelette/frittata made with cooked leftover pasta in it
pancakes
mashes potatoes with grated cheese mixed into it

Thanks! Some good ideas there. I might try fish again. He used to like it but went off it for a while. Might be time to give it another crack. I'll google some frittata recipes too.

Quinoa pilaff - sounds good. I tried gluten free couscous the other day and it was horrid! Made from corn. He took one mouthful then spat it out in disgust and so did I to be fair LOL.

it looks like a lot of food when I write his list but it's only 8 different meals and the last 3 don't really count as proper dinners smile

Mumof2hunnys wrote:
No worries
Ingredients
1cup plain flour
1 egg
2-3tsp milk
1tsp paprika
1tsp lemon pepper
1tsp garlic salt or garlic powder
1cup crushed cornflakes sometimes I use 2 cups depending on breast size
2 skinless chicken breasts sliced
Cooking spray
Basically do what I said above you can cut them into fingers like nuggets or serve as a whole breast.
You can change amounts etc depending on how you like it.

Thank you ")

Kazzzav wrote:
You can buy the packet of gluten free pastry, think I used it once, you can also use rice as a base, I have done this when making pies before rather than using pastry.

My twins will eat pretty much anything - some favourites here are spinach and ricotta canneloni - I make the pasta, scrambled egg full of vegies, burritos, homemade crumbed chicken parcels with ham and cheese inside, apricot chicken, tuna bake, slow cooked beef.

Oh thanks so gluten free pastry does exist! I must investigate.... smile

It is very important for the parents to know what exactly they need to feed their kids. They should have a perfect food guide to keep their kids healthy. I suggest to follow the food guide pyramid by USDA(Now it is MyPlate), which tells you the right food plan for your kids. Read here to know about the healthy food guide pyramid in detail. http://www.momjunction.com/articles/healthy-foo...
Sign in to follow this topic