I have a 2 yr old boy and a 3 mth old girl. I am too scared to introduce peanuts to him because my sister has a very slight reaction to them (she is fine if it is on the food, she can just push them aside but can't eat them). I would prefer to know now if he is going to be allergic to them because he may come into contact with them and what if he has a reaction. He has been aorund peanuts, like peanut oil and peanut butter at grandmas but has never eaten them before.
My MCHN says to smear some peanut butter on his arm and see what happens but I am too scared even to do that. I am scared that he may have a severe reaction and that I won't be prepared. I know that anaphylactic(?) is rare but what if..........
From what I have said, do you think he may be allergic and also will it be safe with my 3 mth old around (I've heard that some people have reactions just being around a peanut with no direct contact at all). When I was pregnant with both I did not eat peanuts but I am not allergic to them, they just don't appeal to me.
How did you introduce peanuts and what happens when there is a reaction and how quickly will you know if there is one?
Thanks for helping.
Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05