Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. When did you let your toddler walk at the shops?

When did you let your toddler walk at the shops? Rss

My 14 month old has been walking from 9 months old but everytime we go to the shops he sits In his pram, most days he doesn't mind but on the odd occasion he does want to walk.
I have let him walk with us a couple of times either down the street or at the shops but he is very head strong and doesn't want to hold our hand or even walk in the same direction lol
I was just wondering when everyone started to teach their toddlers to walk at the shopping centres, I'm also due with my second in December so I need to decide wether it's worth buying a double pram or if its a waste if he starts walking regularly.
Every child is different no doubt, but my almost 3 year old still goes in her pram because she would drive me up the wall out of it. She wants to touch everything, runs away, hides etc and I can't get anything done with her unless she is strapped in. My son was the same.. My first 2 daughters walked from about 2 and a half but I didn't enjoy shopping at all.
my eldest refused to use a pram from about 14/15 months, she wanted to walk. I had concerns with this because she was, in my mind, so young to be doing it but then someone gave me one of those animal backpack harnesses. I must admit that before having her I thought they were the worst idea ever and incredibly cruel to children etc but once I had a child that was young enough that they couldn't really have the safety instructions that an older child does but independent enough that they wanted to 'do myself' I had to reconsider my opinions. For us the harness worked really well - it gave her (and my 2nd child) the independence to walk that they craved but gave me an extra level of security to know that the furthest they were going to go from me was the length of the 'tail' on the backpack. I, personally, used the backpack as a teaching method - I still expected them to hold my hand, I talked about how far ahead of me they could run off to (basically the length of the tail) etc and as they got older I progressed to them wearing the backpack with the tail drapped over it by my side with the knowledge that if they ran off/didn't follow my directions I'd be picking that tail right back up. Even using the harness I didn't expect them to do lots of walking in the shops but it just meant that I started using trolleys for things where I normally wouldn't bother, that way if they got tired while I ran into the shops to get milk and bread I could just pop them in the trolley and keep going. I haven't used the backpack with my youngest but that's more because with her I haven't needed to 'split my focus' as much when out at the shops because my older children are aware of, and follow, my boundaries so I can focus more on what my youngest is doing and also because, since she was about 22 months, both her older siblings have been at school so it's just been the two of us at the shops rather than one child independently walking and another in the pram etc.

At the end of the day, it's about what you're personally comfortable with and you're the one who knows your child best. For me the backpack harness was a brilliant way to give controlled 'independence' while they were younger but I know they're not everyone's preference.

Leisa.
Thankyou both for replying, my son is extremely independant but sometimes likes being in his pram.
The other day while i was at the hospital seeing the midwife he had a tantrum because he didnt want to be in the pram and the midwife asked how old he was and said i was stopping him from developing and learning by making him sit in the pram (rude of her but made me think) i have safety concerns also.. My partner hates the idea of them back packs as do i but i completly agree with you and it depends on how you use it. I saw a lady with atleast 5 kids from age 2-5 years old and she was holding them as it they were dogs :/ i will buy one and give it a go, i guess buying a double pram will still be on the cards! Thanks again ????
We went through a phase of taking the pram places just in case she needed it. That stopped when she was around 3 and a half. Maybe give him a bit of practice out of the pram so he can get used to walking with you/not running off etc, that way you have a better idea of what his limits will be once bub arrives and if you'll need a double pram or not.
Good luck!

I've had 22month gap twice and first time my toddler was still happy to sit in stroller for outings as long as she had snacks/drinks and little books/toys to play with. She was a runner so I had to keep her restrained for her own safety in car parks, in shopping centres etc. I also used a sling for the baby so I'd have hands free if the toddler needed. Second time around with a different toddler who loved walking; I utilised the older 2 siblings to help by holding hands and again used sling or capsule/stroller for the baby. By then the toddler was generally happy to stay with the older kids who I'd coached into setting a good example and to help me. My 4 kids are generally great to take shopping and I think it's because of setting clear boundaries like if/when they have to hold the pram and when I allow them to run ahead, telling them that "good behaviour gets good rewards"like those shopping centre ride/playground area or a baby chino. I'm strict on it and have withdrawn the reward at times and they seem to get it.
All the best with your little man!
Personally we used a pram up until our son was around 2 1/2 to 3 years old, because sometimes he wanted to walk and sometimes we needed him to be restrained lol. But he is also quite small for his age. Once he turned 3, we felt he should be learning to walk on his own and learn to hold our hand. If I were in your particular position, I would consider a double pram. Im expecting another baby now and as our son will be 5 by then, im looking at getting a new pram with a scooter board attachment at the back so he can ride along. This might be another option for you for your toddler? More fun than being strapped in, and can be easily removed.
Leighanne911 wrote:
Personally we used a pram up until our son was around 2 1/2 to 3 years old, because sometimes he wanted to walk and sometimes we needed him to be restrained lol. But he is also quite small for his age. Once he turned 3, we felt he should be learning to walk on his own and learn to hold our hand. If I were in your particular position, I would consider a double pram. Im expecting another baby now and as our son will be 5 by then, im looking at getting a new pram with a scooter board attachment at the back so he can ride along. This might be another option for you for your toddler? More fun than being strapped in, and can be easily removed.

Hi thanks for the reply smile i had my little one 4 months ago and the elder will be 2 in 2 months.
We tried a double pram (steelcraft strider compact) for 2 months and he hated it, he would scream and undo his belt and escape! I tried everything to make him happy but he enjoyed walking. I ended up selling that pram and buying a bugaboo buffalo and a skateboard attatchment which he likes to uss when he is tired, though i hated them i got a monkey backpack so he can walk "independently" and i'm loving going out now! He has so much energy so i do my shopping and he will walk and by the time he gets in his car seat he has nodded off
Our daughter is niw 2&1/2. When she was around 1&1/2 We got a thing that we call ' our yellow bracelets' and it goes from my daughters wrist to mine, itslike a thick piece of elastic about a metre long. If we have it on she doesnt really try to run off...if we dont, most likely she does :/ we bought it from baby bunting, cant recommend it enough.
Our daughter is now 16 months and also started walking at 9 months and if we are going on a short trip I will let her walk, now she insists on going with her mini scooter. However, for longer journey's I would always encourage having a stroller.
Perhaps slowly introduce him to the mall. Perhaps, carry him within and place him down for just a few seconds while he gets comfortable standing and experiencing the difference and then pick him up again and make your way out. I mean just do a quick run through. The object of this trip is to just bring him in without the pram and have him experience a moment without it. It will encourage to do it more often.
Really hyperactive kids, have tried to an expert with children's behavior? That might help.
Sign in to follow this topic