Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Late walkers Rss

HI Ladies. DD has just turned one and can walk using a push walker(not the round one they stand in) and has stated to walk if I hold her hands(still a bit shakey). DD didn't crawl to 9.5 months and I a so over people putting her down. EVERY person I meet asks if she is walking and when I say no they always seem so suprised and go on to tell me how there dd/ds was wlaking at 9 months!

I know its not DD fault and I am sure she will get there in the end as she is gettin closer everyday and is starting to let go for a little while, before falling laugh But I just feel so down when people say things implying that DD is slow. Other babies from my anetal class are walking and they are younger so I don't get any support there either.

Sorry just need to vent, I am proud of my dd for getting closer to walking and I am sick of people putting her down. Did anyone else experience this?

jeez she's only just one, can't people give her a break?
I copped the same crap with my DD, she didn't walk on her own until she was almost 18months! (She pushed her FP pram around)

Its so frustrating, people always want to compare.

She will get there in her own time people!
It's not unusual for kids not to walk until after they turn one.

Yes many do walk before but there are many that don't too.

Tell 'em to go shove it!

She's getting there. She just needs the confidence to let go and i'm sure she'll take off soon!

I cop the same thing with DD2 in regards to her talking. MIL constantly goes on about it. Comparing her to DD1 and DS.

She talks, just not as well as they did at her age.

People in this world need to stop comparing!

I really cannot see the big deal about a one year old not walking. ALOT of babies don't walk til later.
I understand your frustration.
But you know what, you'd get the same sort of thing if your baby walked early. We did. Our girl walked one week before seven months or one week after. And everyones surprised she was walking. They blooming well do it when they do it when they are ready and not a moment before.
I personally don't think one year is too old to not be walking yet.
Sometimes, ignoring people is the best gift we have as humans.

I think you are right skippy, she is ONLY one. It just gets so frustrating maybe out of all the people I know a handfull haven't said negative things, I will just have to learn to ignore it as I don't think they will stop anytime soon, when she starts walking the will find something else to make comparisions about. Your DD was one clever bubby smile Such a shame that people are always comparing babies against others.

One thing i have observed having had 'late walkers' at 14.5-15 months and crawlers too is that my kids focused on speech and moved later. Where as the ones that move earlier dont necessary have many words.

jeez she's only just one, can't people give her a break?
I copped the same crap with my DD, she didn't walk on her own until she was almost 18months! (She pushed her FP pram around)

Its so frustrating, people always want to compare.

She will get there in her own time people!

Thats what I thought! At the end of the day no one will remember how old she was when she walked by the time she is 3. I am just so over it. thanks for the support smile

I wouldn't call her a late walker, she isn't late at all. Some walk early, some don't. Once my babies got the confidence to let go, it was a few steps here and there over a few days and a week or so later... Bam! walking everywhere. It takes no time once they start smile

Enjoy her little moments of learning to walk and don't worry what people say, I am glad mine didn't walk so early because once they do, they turned into mini tornado's all over the house haha!
Your DD certainly wouldnt be classified as a late walker, she's only 1 and from the sounds of it well on her way.

Both my kids didnt walk till 14 months.

Your DD certainly wouldnt be classified as a late walker, she's only 1 and from the sounds of it well on her way.

Both my kids didnt walk till 14 months.

Thank-you that is what I thought, but at the end of the day I wouldn't care if she was a "late walker" I am enjoying her development I just don't know people always ahve to compare.

I must say i'm sick of people judging everything developmental, so know how you feel! DD was born at 25 weeks and is now 14 months old, obviously not walking, she's just learn't to kind of stand. When people know her age it's "my child was doing such and such, you should go see someone"... can they not see she's no even 8kg yet!! Grrr!
I think you're DD is doing great! smile
Don't stress Hun its no one business let alone there concern when she walks!
My dd2 walked at 12 months her twin bro followed at 13 months when people asked if they were walking before they were and I said nope they would always say twins must be slower !!! Wtf there as normal as singleton babies people can be quite ignorant honestly. I have a lovely health nurse who said not to stress as long as they are developing fine no need to stress and the average age to walk is 14 months old. She will be on her feet as soon as you know it and the fun begins lol and I will agree bubs who walk later talk more ds has mastered quite a few words even 2 word sentences at 15 months old smile
Intelligence also I read is not measured on when they walk as walking is more a inherited skill chin up chickie don't worry bout those comments. Xx
My DD diddn't start walking until 19months. She would walk confidently holding one hand but if we let her go she would just fall down. This was very frustrating as this WAS late compared to all the other kids her age and younger that had been walking and running for ages.
After her 15month check at Plunket they refered us to a physio and she was great. I was thinking there must be somthing wrong with her or we were doing somthing wrong but she totally put our minds at ease and said she was not slow in other areas, just movement and she would eventually do it in her own time. She saw us again and 18months when DD still wasnt walking and noticed her ankles rolled inwards and suggested some higher really supportive footwear. Anyway a few weeks later on Fathers Day she let go off the couch and just kept going and wouldn't stop! So we just told ourselves she was saving it as her Fathers Day prezzy for her Dad smile
Sign in to follow this topic