Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Whats you 20month old doing Lock Rss

my DS2 is 20 months old and i just cant believe how clever he is!!

It is just so different from my DS1.

We were just laying in my bed singing the ABC together. I would stop and he would say the next letter to encourage me to go on!

Then we were counting up to 10!!

This has been going on for a couple of months. First just counting 1,2,3 but now he can get to 6 usually skips 7 and says 8,9,10!!!

Does anyone else's 20month old do this?

He just blows us away all the time with how much he communicates already.

Little buggar also calls me by my name not Mum!! lol... I didnt even realise until my DF point it out iw as just so used to answering to it lol....

So what is your 20month old doing and does anyone know any great activities i could be doing with my boy to encourage and stimulate his learning?

Thanks
Mummabears, your little man is really switched on for 20 mos! Did you teach him to count visually like pointing to numbers or just through songs? It's true what Windmill said about kids learning through play, I'm amazed how much they pick up when you teach them things by making it a fun game.

Lucy is also 20 mos now and although she doesn't really have a verbal language she seems to understand everything my hubby and I say. They do say that kids can also build up on their 'internal language' so by the time they do speak it will all flow out like water overflowing out from a jug. The important thing is to provide enough stimulation to encourage speech like reading, speaking to them and building on their imagination.

She knows all her body parts as well as mummy's smile, calls us 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' and her name '..cy!'

She has had free range to crayons and pencils since she was small and can hold a pen correctly and draw simple little shapes and circles. I will say 'wow that looks like a fish!' to encourage her little creative heart. tongue

She loves us to read to her and the other week, when her Nana was staying over she surprised my mum when she went to the bookshelf and pulled out the book (with a thin spine) that we said we'd read to her!

I read in another post where someone had said that children's earliest childhood memory is at 18 mos, and I wonder if that must be true, because she seems to remember everything!
Thanks for your replys.

The games sound like a great idea. I really must get down and start playing alot more with my kiddies!!

We really love singing as we can do it aswell as getting ready for the day and daily chores.

We love Old Macdonalds farm, ABC and we also count when we put clothes away.

The counting really came from repeating it all the time. Every change time we would dress him using 1,2,3 as steps. And it just progressed from there.

Ok well atm my kids are going wild so i might use this time do do some activities!!

Thanks again, your kiddies sound very cute smile

my DS2 is 20 months old and i just cant believe how clever he is!!

It is just so different from my DS1.

We were just laying in my bed singing the ABC together. I would stop and he would say the next letter to encourage me to go on!

Then we were counting up to 10!!

This has been going on for a couple of months. First just counting 1,2,3 but now he can get to 6 usually skips 7 and says 8,9,10!!!

Does anyone else's 20month old do this?

He just blows us away all the time with how much he communicates already.

Little buggar also calls me by my name not Mum!! lol... I didnt even realise until my DF point it out iw as just so used to answering to it lol....

So what is your 20month old doing and does anyone know any great activities i could be doing with my boy to encourage and stimulate his learning?

Thanks

Hi

I also have a 20month old ds, soon to be 21 months. He also has a big brother who is 3 which I think has helped him develop so much!

He can count to 10, and recognise the written numbers to 3. He speaks in sentences and didn't use any baby talk. He said his first word at 11 months which was stairs! Not something I would have expected and way more advanced than his brother. Although his brother is also switched on for his age.
He will say for example where is the ladybug(a toy he has), or what's that noise mum. He only needs to hear a word once and he can say it.
His father speaks french too and he can count in french and understand him, although he doesn't speak it as much as english.

He calls me mum, hasn't called me by my first name yet! He can sing alot of songs by heart incy wincy is a favourite, he will sing it mostly word for word.

I think the most important thing for them, and any kid, is good nutrition and exercise! I think that is vital for brain health. We have our occasional treats but it is shocking the crap that some kids get fed! especially young kids who are still growing and just don't need the unnecessary sugar or fat unhealthy treats put into their bodies.

I am trying to get lots of varied activites into out day, creative, active,imaginative, cognitive and communicative.

We speak heaps and I will explain things as best I can, like how the vacuum cleaner works or the toilet. My boys really love that and always want to know more. I have to educated myself sometimes!
Making learning fun is vital, thats how kids learn. And focussing on what they are interested in makes sense.
Sign in to follow this topic