Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. My Daughter has hip dysplasia i need suggestions please!!

My Daughter has hip dysplasia i need suggestions please!! Rss

I would really appreciate any tips on how to keep her busy. smile
Hi
Not sure where you are but this facebook might give you some ideas
Spica Mums & Bubs | NZ
My daughter has just got out of her brace, but she was put in it at 6 days old, so can't be much help.
Good luck with it all. What treatment is she having?
Stacey
How old is she? What treatment is she getting? My DD has just got out of her pavlik harness. She wore it for 4 1/2 months from the age of 8 weeks old.
Hi,
Lucy is 2 and a half and they need to go in and put the bone back into the socket and then cut a small section of bone out to prevent the leg being longer than the right leg. She will have a full body spica cast.

Hi
Not sure where you are but this facebook might give you some ideas
Spica Mums & Bubs | NZ
My daughter has just got out of her brace, but she was put in it at 6 days old, so can't be much help.
Good luck with it all. What treatment is she having?
Stacey

Thanks for that i will look into it. How is your Daughter now?
Hey,
The group has some great ideas for full casts. DD was just in a pavlik harness, put on at 6 days and no removed for 12 weeks. Haven't had any scans since the 6 week mark and no xray for another month, so it better be right. She has had the harness off for 2 months now.
She had clicky hips due to being breech, first girl and inherited from me!
Would love to give you some idea's but the harness is nothing to what the plaster looks like.

Hey,
The group has some great ideas for full casts. DD was just in a pavlik harness, put on at 6 days and no removed for 12 weeks. Haven't had any scans since the 6 week mark and no xray for another month, so it better be right. She has had the harness off for 2 months now.
She had clicky hips due to being breech, first girl and inherited from me!
Would love to give you some idea's but the harness is nothing to what the plaster looks like.

Thank you. hope all goes well with the next xray.
Hey! DD2 was in a spica last year. It's hard but it becomes normal for everyone smile Let me know how/if I can help!

Hey! DD2 was in a spica last year. It's hard but it becomes normal for everyone smile Let me know how/if I can help!

Thanks heaps. what type of pram did you use? What activities did you do during the day? any tips at all you can give me would be great. smile

Thanks heaps. what type of pram did you use? What activities did you do during the day? any tips at all you can give me would be great. smile

how old was he/she and how are they now?
Amelia was 4months when she went into the Rhino Cruiser. 7months when she went into the spica and 10months when she went into the brace again. 7.5months of treatment all up.

I ended up using a stroller with a little cushion underneath her to prop her up. It worked ok for the first cast but when she got her second one it was a bit different so I needed to alter it a bit more. Fiddle around and you'll see what works.

For sleeping I had a pillow underneath her legs so the cast didn't dig into her legs and cut of circulation. When she went into the brace afterwards she would wriggle to the side so she was laying sideways in her cot but she couldn't get back the right way. It looked uncomfortable for her neck so I got two foam wedges cut, popped them underneath the fitted sheet in her cot and that way she couldn't wriggle anywhere.

Playing. That was hard. It's important to move them around to prevent bed sores. I bought a bean bag and filled it enough so she could sit on it but it was squishy enough to push in so her legs could fit. It didn't work with the second cast. We sang lots, did lots of activities with our hands(lots of hand/eye coordination), reading...it's time consuming and draining but worth it.

I found a portable booster seat for dining room chairs was excellent too! She could sit up at the table with us and eat smile It was nice.

Amelia is 19months now. Treatment finished when she was about 11.5months. She started walking full time at around 16months and she's running now. She walked on her knees for AGES! Her words are amazing! I guess because she couldn't move her legs we focused on other things and she speaks way better than my eldest did at this age. She was saying around 10 or more words before she was 1y/o. I know it has a lot to do with having an elder sibling but I think because her movement was limited her mind just went into over drive.

At her last x-ray in february she was doing great!!! Her Dr wanted her to be at 24 degrees by 24months and at 17months it was at 22 degrees. Amazing. Her left hip was completely dislocating and the first brace (3months worth!) didn't do a thing so going from completely dislocating to success was achieved in around 4.5months. Incredible.

Are you in QLD? We saw Dr Donald at the Royal Childrens Hospital in Brisbane. He's wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

If there was anything else I can help with just let me know.
Id your child in the spica already? Changing the nappies can be hard sad Yell out if you need a hand with that too!

Oh! Facebook! If you have facebook there's an awesome page for parents with children that have DDH. Just search for DDH Australia or something. There's heaps. They can give you lots of tips and advice and support. Support is the biggest thing. I had depression. It is a really challenging time. I couldn't go to the toilet alone, she had to be on my lap. She was so clingy and that's fair enough. We have a close bond now because of what we've been through together. I'll be here whenever you need anything. I know how hard it can be. xo

Thank you! I've just tagged onto this conversation and already I've got some ideas! We found out on Friday my 10 month old daughter has severe right hip dysplasia and surgery is booked for coming weeks. Any other ideas of how I can prepare for the post op care would be very helpful. Thanks
Sign in to follow this topic