Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

how many words does your toddler say Rss

just curious about whats normal chatter for the litte ones. im not talking about the sounds they come out with that happen to match real words (like dad dad dad etc) but when they actually use a word when they want or recognise something.
at 26 months waaaay too many!! He picks up new things every day, i love being witness to his learning!!

he now asks
me go down the road get some milk?
we go in car to park?
me big brother riley little brother
put riley down mum come play in my room

to name but a few

but my favourite is simple, in the morning with a sleepy face still on...
morning mum
They are all so different and develop at such different rates, DD2 is 17months and can say:

Mum/mummy
Dad
Charlotte
night night
dog
bye
hi
hello
dont touch
no
shoes
dora
back
more
ellie
please
baby
hey
bottle
I'm sure there are more but thats all I can think of right now.
16 months and he only says one word - Dad.

Should I be worried now?!

at 26 months waaaay too many!! He picks up new things every day, i love being witness to his learning!!

he now asks
me go down the road get some milk?
we go in car to park?
me big brother riley little brother
put riley down mum come play in my room

to name but a few

but my favourite is simple, in the morning with a sleepy face still on...
morning mum

That's too cute!! DS is picking stuff up every single day too & starting to put sentences together (he's 22months). It's amazing listening to the new stuff he picks up every day! Some of his latests are

Daycare, play with trains, play with kids, fun......
alright let's go.....to da shops
see ya, back soon
go to park, go outside, go to park....
walk to park, hat on, go to park.....

Nothing real cute about what he's saying, but it sounds adorable when I'm hearing it!! LOL

just curious about whats normal chatter for the litte ones. im not talking about the sounds they come out with that happen to match real words (like dad dad dad etc) but when they actually use a word when they want or recognise something.

Wyatt is 16 months old and says

Mum/mummy/mumma
dad/daddy
Nana
Go
Gone
Hi
Go away
yuck
come
this
yeah
bum
sssssssssue (shoe)
car
yes
yum
do it
don't.

If he wants something he usually points to it and yells mum!

I thnk thats it.. Some of those words he hasnt said in a while he's too busy throwing tantrums to talk lol

DD has just turned 2. She can say hundreds of words, and string up to 10 word sentences. She is a very good talker, and likes to talk - a lot! DS was slower to talk, but the time he just turned 2, he was probably saying 20 words, maybe 2-3 word sentences. huge difference between my 2 kids! But by the time DS was about 2.5 nearly 3, his language just exploded!
No, I dont think you should be worried; all kids develop at different speeds; and it isn't a competition between whose kids say more. But if you are still worried; speak to your GP; or a Maternal Child Health Nurse; if there are any issues; early intervention is the best chance of fixing any issues.

16 months and he only says one word - Dad.

Should I be worried now?!

No, I dont think you should be worried; all kids develop at different speeds; and it isn't a competition between whose kids say more. But if you are still worried; speak to your GP; or a Maternal Child Health Nurse; if there are any issues; early intervention is the best chance of fixing any issues.

My DS is 2 years 5 months and is up to 10-15 word sentences. I can't remember what age he started sounding proper words with meaning but it was fairly young.

Mum of three amazing people

I always remember a community nurse saying, as long as they can say one word by one year old and two words together (more drink, up there etc..) by two years old, then nothing to worry about.

I think the non-verbal communication is also important. Different faces for different situations, good eye contact, pointing then looking back at you to see if you're looking, that sort of stuff.

Silvermum

My son is 17 months old. his first word was mum, second was dad. other words are only very recent (past month)

shoes
socks
hi
car
cheese

I think thats all. these are the only words he says and he knows that they all mean. although everything with wheels is a "car"
Sign in to follow this topic