Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Reward Charts Rss

Im just wondering what everyone else does for reward charts. Im about to make one this week, and Ive got a pretty good idea on what i will have on it, in regards to the things they need to do to get a sticker at the end of each day. But thought i would see what everyone else has got, i may just miss something out!

I am also wondering what you guys do as 'Prizes' for yours. Im thinking something small, for a certain number of stars, and something big for ALL the stars.

I am thinking of having a big basket full of different prizes, and if they get all the stars then THEY get to choose something out of the basket at the end of the week, (We did this at school!).

Anyhow, would love to hear about your charts and how they have worked out for you.

Will check back later tonight smile]

3 Little Ones to Love.....

I have only ever used a reward chart once and that was while TT DD. It worked well because it was Dora so she loved getting a Dora sticker when she went to the toilet.

I think it is a good idea to have a box full of prizes so they can pick their own. DS teacher does that. When they have filled their sticker chart, they get to pick a prize from the box. It makes them want to fill their chart quickly so they can get the prize they want before someone else gets it first!

I think I might have to do the same here over the school holidays. It's the first day and they are driving me batty with their fighting already!!

My babies are all grown up sad

me personally - i would wrap all the little prizes up so it was like a lucky dip. I just know what my DD would be like if she could see everything and knew there was nothing in there she really wanted this week tongue LOL
What is it you're trying to get your little ones to achieve? Personally I hate rewards charts. They are counter-productive to what I'm trying to teach my kids. We don't do rewards for normal, expected behaviour. I want my kids to find satisfaction in doing a good job, going to the toilet on thier own, looking after thier own spaces etc etc.
There is an interesting article on reward charts here <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Well, if you can find another way to get my eldest to do all the things i want her to, then i would be more then happy to try it!! smile]

I personally dont think reward charts are that bad. I think it makes it fun for a LITTLE ONE to do.

Im not using it for toilet training. I am mainly wanting it for listening to me, and for doing things like Getting dressed when i ask of a morning, putting jammies back under pillow, making bed when she gets out (to the best she can), putting dirty clothes in basket.

All those little things that i have to ask 20 times to do, i think if i can have a reward chart in place, and it means she listens to me and does things when i ask, then its well worth it.

She is 3.5, and i have another baby on the way due in dec, so i want her to be helping herself a little more then waht she does.

If this works, then it will involve things like eating vegies, fruit, trying a new food etc etc...

I have tried everything else, so i think this is about my last straw!! lol

Toni, I would have about 10 things in my basket, and they would all be something that she wants.

i saw a lady at playgroup had one a while ago and the big thing at the end was a trip to the zoo
Yeah, Im thinking of doing that, but Dream World instead. She has been NAGGIN me to take her tehre lately!!

Posted by: ~Ruby~Gloom~
What is it you're trying to get your little ones to achieve? Personally I hate rewards charts. They are counter-productive to what I'm trying to teach my kids. We don't do rewards for normal, expected behaviour. I want my kids to find satisfaction in doing a good job, going to the toilet on thier own, looking after thier own spaces etc etc.
There is an interesting article on reward charts here <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

I response to that article...
sometimes we get sick of constantly punishing and getting nowhere. Do we keep increasing the severity of the punishment? When does it stop?
And also, we get a reward for working... MONEY! We get a reward for doing a great job at work...a pay rise!

Tis the way of the world.
Posted by: TwoFlopsyBunnies
And also, we get a reward for working... MONEY! We get a reward for doing a great job at work...a pay rise!

Working is providing a service so yeah we get paid for it. Bribing a child to participate in thier daily care; cleaning up after themselves, eating vegetables etc so no, not the same thing. Reward charts might be okay for the short term, but are you going to be happy to negotiate a reward for every little thing for the long term?
Posted by: ~Ruby~Gloom~
Posted by: TwoFlopsyBunnies

Working is providing a service so yeah we get paid for it. Bribing a child to participate in thier daily care; cleaning up after themselves, eating vegetables etc so no, not the same thing. Reward charts might be okay for the short term, but are you going to be happy to negotiate a reward for every little thing for the long term?

It doesnt have to be long term. Do you honestly think that they are that bad? Do you punish your kids alot? And to what extent?

Every kid is different, some kids listen, some kids dont. I truly dont see a reward chart being a HUGE part of their life and particuarly when they are older, i dont think they are going to expect a pack of stickers for cleaning up.

As they get older, they understand more. Right now, my 3yr old will understand that if she does such and such, she will get rewarded with whatever i choose it to be. That will hopefully make my life easier for her to listen, which all in all, makes all our lives easier.

When she is 15, she will have set chores before she can do things, or before i help her, ie making sure all her washing is put into laundry, or bed made etc...

When she is 20, she will know that she will need to do all this for herself, and she will know what the real world is like, adn that it isnt based on reward charts for daily chores.

My kids arent spoilt at all, they will understand the value of money, and hopefully learn as early as possible good housekeeping. smile]

well it would be nice if praise or a scowl worked on all kids wouldn't it.
I had one for Luke Spunky and we dont need it anymore cause he now listens to me !! ..he was really bad for not listening ..now he is a normal 3 year old ..good some days and bad others ..but on a whole he is a good boy !!

I had a chart on the wall and it had the days of the week on there ...I didnt have specific chors on there jsut when he did something good he would get a sticker ...I had it on a laminated piece of cardboard ...he would get them for eating his dinner ...using good manners ..things like that ...but ...if he was naughty and was not listening all I had to say was "do you want me to take a sticker off the chart ??" that was enough for him to have a kiniption and he would do as I have asked ...

when he got to the end of the week we would go to the shopping centre for a doughnut and a ride ...or when we go to the libruary for story time we would go and get a toasted sandwich at the shopping centre and he could have a soft drink ..or we would go to a play centre adn then have some hot chips ...

we dont need it anymore cause I feel that he does what I ask when I ask him ...

I recon it worked well....but my tip is to make it so you can take a sticker away if she is not behaving the way you want ...all good for when she is good ..but if you have something like this up your sleeve for when she is being a little challenging then I recon it beats a smack adn being sent to the naughty stair !! lollol lol lol

Sign in to follow this topic