for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. To smack or not to smack.......

To smack or not to smack....... Rss

I would like peoples opinion on smacking. Do you smack or do you use other methods of punishment.

Hubby and I decided not to smack DS almost 3 and are using the naughty corner, bribery/blackmail and giving him 2 choices which is currently working.

However we were out last week and DS threw a huge tantrum which was met by someone saying "i would have smacked him by now".

I want to know what you think. To smack or not to smack.
Not to smack.

Not just coz its illegal either. I want my kids to have no fear about getting hurt, its their bodies and they need that repected.. Like you time out works for us too. So smacking hasn't been something we've ever considered.
I wouldn't smack in public because you don't know how others will react to it. At home I guess everyone has to say don't because its illegal...

Lets put it this way. I was raised with the good and well deserved smack from time to time and it never did me any harm. Its when smacking is done out of anger with no self control that it becomes a massive issue
We havne't smacked, but we have done smacks on the hand, particularly when they are toddlers and they are reaching out to something dangerous.
Or we give them a pat on the butt as we say something to them IYKWIM. But not a pull the pants down smack. Time out or removing privileges works wonders with our kids.

Curious, is that smacking in others eyes what we do?
For me yes that is what I would consider a smack and that is as far as we have ever taken it . I guess that's the other thing with this topic. What is considered a smack or not?
I keep my pimp hand strong, with a smack once or twice a year when deemed necessary. Don't want my pimp hand failing because i am betting i am going to need it as back up to the wooden spoon in the teenage years.
Whilst i am not against the smack, i think in moderation and not too hard. These are children after all, not punching bags, you can go to the gym for one of those.
mum2all wrote:
I wouldn't smack in public because you don't know how others will react to it. At home I guess everyone has to say don't because its illegal...

Lets put it this way. I was raised with the good and well deserved smack from time to time and it never did me any harm. Its when smacking is done out of anger with no self control that it becomes a massive issue

+1 smile

We are told to forgive and forget, but if we forget what we forgave then isn't forgiveness pointless?

Not to smack smile There are plenty of other ways to discipline, and more importantly...teach a child. Kids might be little but they deserve respect.... if an adult came and hit us, we'd be upset. Also I never understand how can ppl expect their child not to hit others, or hit back at their parents.... when their parents hit them. To me, this is not setting a good example.
mum2all wrote:

I agree, it was more the shock that I got a smack I think. I'd have a cry then go see dad and say sorry and get a big hug. I only remember a few, it didnt do me any harm, and I will always respect and love my dad, smacks and all

I am struggling with these same issues with my 18m old and I have a 8yr old who has adopted naughty constandt behaviour smacking is how I grew up so im interested in other methods also.

May I add I did see a few ppl refer to smacking "illegal" it actually is not made illegal in Australia YET lol I thought it was too until reading an article the other day and its not a law yet here in Australia.

Im very mixed emotions about it all theres the well it didn't harm me thought but then the research ive read in regards to this generation of kids and how different it effects children so im looking at other methods. living rural I wish we had parent classes seminars out here :/ id love to go along and see what other options are out there smile
I am definitely against smacking. I was never smacked and I grew up into a kind an intelligent person.
As with any punishment, smacking can be abused by parents. I'm sure you'll agree that smacking in the heat of the moment (or in anger) can easily cross the line to become abuse. For a younger child that can understand, they can be warned that a naughty (dangerous) action will result in a smack. The child then makes the choice if they engage in that activity - and they have been pre warned of the consequence. All a smack needs to be is a small tap on the hand, really.

When we were older children, and we knew that we had done something bad, we were sent to our room (maybe to let parents calm down - yes, we were naughty at times!), and then our parent would speak to us about what we did wrong - if we understood why it was bad, etc. Then it was a controlled smack (not a beating, not with a hose/cricket bat, not demoralising - we didn't have to remove clothes, was not done in anger or frustration) and after that (very important) we would sit with mum/dad, talk about it, say sorry, and give hug and kiss. I can honestly say that I never held grudges against them for this method of discipline, as I understood I had misbehaved.

Obviously it is only one way to help your kids learn, and each kid responds differently to different methods. Some you only need to talk it through/explain it to them and they already are in tears/remorseful. I guess with any method, the key is for parents to remain calm and controlled, do it motivated by love to help the child grow, and take controlled action (not out of anger) - which isn't always easy tongue
Sign in to follow this topic