for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. Not ready for 4 year old kinder

Not ready for 4 year old kinder Rss

I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 3 1/2 year old son (born at the end of Feb) who attends kinder twice a week for 5 hours a week. He is extremily shy and is the type who sits back and observers but takes everything in. i was told today that it is best for him to do another year of 3 year old kinder as he is socially not ready for 4 year old kinder! This shocked me as i wasnt expecting this.

Does anyone else have a 3 - 4 year old who isnt "socially ready"? does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be doing to help him?

please help, very worried mum!
m
My little fella wasn't ready either. His kinder teacher approached me last year and said he wasn't, so we repeated. The start of the year was a bit rocky socially for him, which just highlighted that she was right. I made more of an effort with the mums of the children in the class, and one of the other boys mums who repeated offered for her son to kind of take him under his wing. Turns out as soon as this other boy introduced him to people, that is all he needed. We have had a better year and I have defy confidence he is ready for 4year old next year. I asked two friends who repeated, one in grade 5 & one in year 10 and both said it was socially debilitating at those stages. Also my niece repeated prep, then needed to see a psychologist for her anxiety, etc... So if you have any doubts, repeat. Also put yourself out there to foster relationships with classmates. Good luck.
I would listen to the teacher as they know what they are talking about. Maybe it's just hard to hear as we all like to think our kids are "perfect" who what we want them to be. It sounds like it will be the best thing for him in the long run and it's better to address things like this when they are young. Once you get your head around it I'm sure you will be able to make it a positive experience for him.
My son was very similar. So I organise a day at the park with some of the boys from the childcare centre that he attended. It was a great way to meet the boys that he plays with and the parents. As now we have a catch up once a month. The boys have developed so much.

Now he tells me all about the day and he is so motivated to go to school to catch up with his mates.

I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 3 1/2 year old son (born at the end of Feb) who attends kinder twice a week for 5 hours a week. He is extremily shy and is the type who sits back and observers but takes everything in. i was told today that it is best for him to do another year of 3 year old kinder as he is socially not ready for 4 year old kinder! This shocked me as i wasnt expecting this.

Does anyone else have a 3 - 4 year old who isnt "socially ready"? does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be doing to help him?

please help, very worried mum!

Hi

Its hard to hear that our kids are a bit outside the square and of course it worries you... but the good news is that his teacher has identified this and you can act on it and I'd definitely be following her advice.

It will be no drama to your little boy to do another year of 3 year kinder and its so much better for him socially and developmentally to do it now at this age and not when he's at school. The older they go to school (starting primary) the better, it paves the way for their whole school life and if they are not ready emotionally and socially it can make it so hard for them.

My kids were born early in the year so my eldest DD is now one of the youngest in her kindy class... by default of when all their birthdays fall it has just happened that all the other kids are between 6 and 12 months older than her and that is a big difference at this age. Part of me thinks she would have been better off doing another year of 4 year old preschool before starting school and has made me rethink what I'll do for the other kids. She's doing fine now but the first 4 months or so were really hard for her socially and emotionally. She's not a shy kid but starting school is a really big thing and being just that bit older means they cope with it much better.

All kids are different and have different personalities, I dont think you can change a child that is shy but by giving him that extra time to be little and learn social skills it will build his confidence and I dont think there's anything wrong with letting little kids be little kids.
Sign in to follow this topic