Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. Extremily Emotional Child - PLEASE HELP ME!

Extremily Emotional Child - PLEASE HELP ME! Rss

Hi, i am in desperate need of some help and advice.
I have a 3 year old boy who is very clingy to me. He still sleeps in our bed (has been since he was 6 months old - which was fine when he was smaller, but now i want him in his own bed). The problem is that i dont know what i am doing wrong...i am pulling out my hair every day and every night!
He use to be such a well behaved toddler who would always listen. Now, everytime someone talks to him, he thinks he is been told off and he bursts into tears...tears that last for hours. He calms down eventually, and then when he sees the person that spoke to him, he bursts into tears again! I try to disipline him by sending him into time out, by taking things from him, by not allowing him to watch TV or no dessert after dinner etc, even the occasional little smack on the bum...but nothing is working! It is getting worse and worse by the day! Not only that, everytime i try and go out, he gets scared and tells me not to leave him..that results in him bursting into tears!
PLEASE HELP!

Hi, i am in desperate need of some help and advice.
I have a 3 year old boy who is very clingy to me. He still sleeps in our bed (has been since he was 6 months old - which was fine when he was smaller, but now i want him in his own bed). The problem is that i dont know what i am doing wrong...i am pulling out my hair every day and every night!
He use to be such a well behaved toddler who would always listen. Now, everytime someone talks to him, he thinks he is been told off and he bursts into tears...tears that last for hours. He calms down eventually, and then when he sees the person that spoke to him, he bursts into tears again! I try to disipline him by sending him into time out, by taking things from him, by not allowing him to watch TV or no dessert after dinner etc, even the occasional little smack on the bum...but nothing is working! It is getting worse and worse by the day! Not only that, everytime i try and go out, he gets scared and tells me not to leave him..that results in him bursting into tears!
PLEASE HELP!

Hi

I think you should see a paediatrician or other professional with your son to suss out what is going on.

For me I never encountered any behavioural problems with my first DD until she hit 3 and then it was full on for a good six months but not like this with constant tears. I think there are certain things that the age brings (like "terrible twos" but for alot of kids that behaviour starts at 3) and then there is some things that need investigating.

All kids have different temperaments and with something like this where you find yourself in volatile situations all the time I think its best to get some help. Sometimes we go down the road of thinking if we just discipline more it will solve the problem... but it doesnt, you need to find out what is going on with your DS, whether its medical or emotional.

Take a step back and look at his life, has there been big changes, who are the people in his life, is there a reason he should feel so insecure, who cares for him when you go out... is he frightened of this person, what happens when you arent there? - ie what is going on in his life? Up till now its been ok to be in your bed - he's probably thinking "what have I done?" why cant I stay in your bed. He might be feeling rejected and that along with alot of emotions at this age might be overwhelming.

Sometimes discipline is not the answer, the answer lies in understanding why they are behaving the way they are.

Hi

I think you should see a paediatrician or other professional with your son to suss out what is going on.

For me I never encountered any behavioural problems with my first DD until she hit 3 and then it was full on for a good six months but not like this with constant tears. I think there are certain things that the age brings (like "terrible twos" but for alot of kids that behaviour starts at 3) and then there is some things that need investigating.

All kids have different temperaments and with something like this where you find yourself in volatile situations all the time I think its best to get some help. Sometimes we go down the road of thinking if we just discipline more it will solve the problem... but it doesnt, you need to find out what is going on with your DS, whether its medical or emotional.

Take a step back and look at his life, has there been big changes, who are the people in his life, is there a reason he should feel so insecure, who cares for him when you go out... is he frightened of this person, what happens when you arent there? - ie what is going on in his life? Up till now its been ok to be in your bed - he's probably thinking "what have I done?" why cant I stay in your bed. He might be feeling rejected and that along with alot of emotions at this age might be overwhelming.

Sometimes discipline is not the answer, the answer lies in understanding why they are behaving the way they are.

We had another baby 10 months ago but he loves him to bits and isnt jealous of him at all...the people that care for him have been the same people since day dot (my parents)...We havent changed anything we do, infact, i think we pay more attention to him now than before as we didnt want him to feel jealous when his brother arrived.

I am hoping that this is a phase but i will talk to the doc about it to see what they say.

We had another baby 10 months ago but he loves him to bits and isnt jealous of him at all...the people that care for him have been the same people since day dot (my parents)...We havent changed anything we do, infact, i think we pay more attention to him now than before as we didnt want him to feel jealous when his brother arrived.

I am hoping that this is a phase but i will talk to the doc about it to see what they say.

I wouldnt be so quick to think he isnt jealous of his younger sibling... it is natural and can come and go throughout their lives - not just something they might feel for a little while as they adust to their arrival. My 5 year old is way jealous of her 2 year old sister and its not for want of attention.

That aside speak to your parents, how do they treat him, react to his upset. I think getting angry at him will make it worse... I'd be off to the Drs just to be on the safe side.

Hope things get better for you.
Sign in to follow this topic