Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Worming children Rss

Do you worm your family? And what is the product called? Is it a natural product?
I was talking to a lady last night who lives on a farm and routinely worms herself and her children as well as the animals. I have never wormed myself or my children as i didn't realise you were suppose to worm preventatively, only if you have symptoms. However we have a few different pets so now im thinking maybe its something that we should be doing.No one ever offers this information though so hoping someone on here might know.
thank you

Do you worm your family? And what is the product called? Is it a natural product?
I was talking to a lady last night who lives on a farm and routinely worms herself and her children as well as the animals. I have never wormed myself or my children as i didn't realise you were suppose to worm preventatively, only if you have symptoms. However we have a few different pets so now im thinking maybe its something that we should be doing.No one ever offers this information though so hoping someone on here might know.
thank you

I have never wormed my babies. I just dont think it's necessary, unless they are hanging out there bum holes or something, I wouldn't stress too much.

I did read somewhere (or heard somewhere, so dont quote me) that there is some sort of connection with worming and diseases like celiac's disease. Apparently the little wormies help our gut somehow.
We don't worm ourselves or the animals and we live on a small farm. We try and keep everyone in good health through nutrition and in the case of the animals grazing management as well as supplements to keep their guts in check. keep your gut healthy and all should be well! we would only worm if they were causing problems for anyone.
ah i have to be different lol.
if you have animals you should worm your kids and yourself IMO. they can do permanent dammage if left untreated and some kids are embarrased of it so wont tell you (no matter how great you think your relationship is with ya kids)
i think its better to prevent them than treat them, and they come back easily too.
we always worm our family when we worm our animals smile

sometimes its a good idea to worm your kids if they are having sleep problems too, they can make sleeping difficult even if they arnt 'crawling out' lol

theyr pretty bad by the time they get to the crawling out stage coz they only crawl out to lay their eggs so by that time they are mature and have been there for some time...

i think . might be wrong. i wouldnt do it if we didnt have animals smile

We don't worm ourselves or the animals and we live on a small farm. We try and keep everyone in good health through nutrition and in the case of the animals grazing management as well as supplements to keep their guts in check. keep your gut healthy and all should be well! we would only worm if they were causing problems for anyone.

?? how do you manage your stock without worming?? just curious. we have horses and cows but were religious about worming. guess we just dont want to be feeding the worms lol its expencive. plus we compete our horses so they can pick up worms when they are out. so i guess might be diff smile

sometimes its a good idea to worm your kids if they are having sleep problems too, they can make sleeping difficult even if they arnt 'crawling out'

I have to agree with this as I have just wormed my DD. The only problem we were having was she couldn't sleep. She didn't have any other symptoms. We wormed the dog and ourselves at the same time. I must say she went form waking every hour in tears to sleeping through the night again.

All they need to get worms is to have a pet lick there face. And for the pets to pick up worms all they need to do is sniff a poo of a dog that has worms so if your dogs go anywhere near where other dogs have been I would suggest worming. I am pretty sure dogs should be wormed every 3 months so we do the rest of us at the same time.

thanks very much for the opinions. Becksa what product do you use? and is it in tablet or liquid form?
I use Combantrin chocolate squares as DD isn't good at taking medicine but offer her chocolate and down it goes (worst tasting chocolate I have ever had!). You can get it in other forms too from the chemist.

?? how do you manage your stock without worming?? just curious. we have horses and cows but were religious about worming. guess we just dont want to be feeding the worms lol its expencive. plus we compete our horses so they can pick up worms when they are out. so i guess might be diff smile

Hi there,

We only have a few animals, but they are all raised organically. We don'to don't take any of them out and about. We basically try and use preventative measures to prevent worms from getting out of kilter in their system. So rotational grazing, mixed grazing, resting pasture etc. Apple cider vinegar and garlic is good for keeping them at bay, so they get a little of this in their supplement feed. We basically keep a very close eye on them and if we need we can take a fecal sample to the vets for testing. Although we have never needed to. So in 10 years, we have never had an animal show symptoms of worm inbalance or be sick in any way. (goats, pony, cow, sheep, chooks) They are also given a selection of browse to chew on as many animals can pick what they need when they need it.

For us, we want the cow to milk, the sheep to eat, we eat the eggs from the chooks and meat - so it is in our best interest to keep the animals as chemical free as possible. So far, they have never had a medication -preventative or otherwise and the only chemicals they have had is whatever is in the hay or supp feed. (although we don't use any feed with preventative medication in it) We also give them a nutrient supplement like vitalik in their feed to ensure they are getting enough vit and minerals. I have heard worms get out of balance when they are deficient in some things - which does make sense!

There are also some animals that you can run together that keep the worms in check. apparently geese and horses work well together and that is why you see old paintings with geese around the stables.

So, its all trial and error - but so far we have never had a drama. We follow many of Pat Colebys guidelines and are always looking out for new ideas. Our neighbours think we are crazy....but its working for us and so many other people that run their animals organically. We aren't refusing to use wormers or medication - just using them when needed instead of as a preventative. Hope that makes sense!!
We use the choc square altho I tend to be a bit slack and only do it if there are symptoms.
Interestingly - I just wormed the kids and DH a few weeks ago and DS has slept heaps better since - he was waking ALOT in the night (he's nearly 5 so not normal!) I would NEVER have thought it was a symptom, so I'm very glad I read this post... I only did it this time because DS was whinging about his bum hurting so much, and the week before my cousins daughter had been rushed to hospital with suspected appendicitis and it turned out to be a hook worm causing all the pain and problems!

I didn't do me cos I'm pregnant and it says not to, but normally if one gets done EVERYONE gets done and the house is vaccuumed and sheets are washed the next day too because they hold the eggs.

[img]

I think it is a good idea to worm your family because of what recently happened to my daughter.
I never used to worm my older children on a regular basis so hadn't with m y 3 year old.
At night she started crying and saying her vag... was sore, I was worried she may have a urinary tract infection & she was almost hysterical, I had a look and saw a tiny white "worm" like a spec of dust wriggling just inside, I totally freaked out! I wiped it with a cotton bud and took her to the doctor the following day, turns out that kids can get worms from anywhere, ie, daycare, if a child has worms they can carry the eggs under their finger nails and transfer eggs like that, they can get them in a lot of different ways. We have a maltese/shitzu and he is wormed regularly so I dont think she got them from him. Usual symptoms are at night, worms come out to lay their eggs on the outside of the bottom, BUT in some cases, like as in my daughters, the worm made its way to her vag..., the doctor said this is common in girls. I wormed her immediately and had to do two doses, so therefore she must have had them for awhile and we werent aware. Left untreated they can cause a lot of problems. So gross and probably TMI but I thought I would share so you can think about treating just incase. Apparently it should be every 6mths. All pharmacies have it and will recommend. The chocolate one is good for the little kids.
my doctor told me that DO NOT worm yourself or your children unless you actually have worms.
why would you put chemicals in your childs body when they are not needed?
Sign in to follow this topic