Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Constipation Rss

I need your help...... I have never had a problem with constipation in pregnancy however I havent been able too "poo" for three days. Can anyone help with a product I can get from the chemist.

I have increased my water intake and fibre but it hasnt helped yet......

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/dh24m7.png

Pear juice and prunes are good for relieving constipation. Keep drinking lots of fluids and try to keep active, walking etc. You may be able to get something from the chemist, pretty sure movicol is ok in pregnancy. Constipation is the worst feeling sad

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I would try increasing fluids, eating more fruits (oranges & kiwi especially), dont increase fibre as it can make things worse if you're already backed up. Increasing fibre is more of a preventative than a fix.
If that doesnt work, coloxyl with senna is safe to take. And so is lactulose. The risk with taking laxatives while you're pregnant is it stimulates the bowel which can start contractions.

Hope this helps smile

ETA: I just read that coloxyl WITH senna ISNT safe to take during pregnancy unless under medical supervision & you really really have to because senna is a bowel stimulant. I was told is was perfectly safe to take while pregnant by my GP & 2 pharmicists & thats why I thought it was smile Id use lactulose before any coloxyl anyway.
I was having trouble with this too! well, I sort of still am, but that's all part of the miracle of pregnancy I'm told. laugh
I've found the magic foods! These are the easiest to stomach for me, since I've now become averted to basically everything I used to enjoy eating.
-Rolled oats/porridge (not the 90 second quick oats which are packed full of sugar and other crap)
-Uncle Toby's Plus cereal- the antioxidant one with cranberries is the best.
-Baked beans on toast (a small tin has something like 35% of your daily fibre intake) when combined with the seediest, grainiest wholemeal bread you can buy.
- Mixed berry smoothies. You can buy snap frozen packs of strawberries, blueberries, rasperries etc. which you just chuck into a blender with a bit of soy milk and honey.

My partner rushed out to the chemist and bought berry flavoured Metamucil (can't stand it, neither can he!) and Coloxyl tablets as well, which I'm reluctant to take even though the pharmacist said they were fine. It's not advised to take certain laxatives while you're pregnant, so your best bet is to bring it up with your doctor who can give you something that is safe to take.
I too really struggled with constipation through both my pregnancies. What I found worked best was as previously mentioned - increase water intake, fresh pears & also just plain coloxyl (not with senna). It's the senna component which can stimulate contractions therefor coloxyl is very safe. I almost consumed a whole bottle during my pregnsncy. Also, I found that Elevit has extremely high amounts of iron in it, whereas blackmores pregnancy gold had somewhat less (although still within recommended doses for pregnancy). So if your on Elevit I'd suggest changing over.
Goodluck, being constipated is awful
There is a tablet you can get from the chemist to help (coloxyl). Its not quite a laxative but check with your pharmacist first as laxatives are not recommended for pregnancy and these are not recommended for long term use at all. I sent my hubby down as I was too embarrased to ask what I could take smile

I didnt have a bowel movement for 6 days and this was a regular thing so i ate oranges and lots of them.. they are perfect, natural, full of vitamin c and easy on the wallet.. i was eating one-two a day and after the second day i was going to the toilet regularly and have been ever since!!!
I used Physillum husks when I was pregnant because of chronic constipation .
They are cheap and natural and work by sweeping the bowels and colon gently and helping everything get moving. You can get them from heath shops. The type I got was Lifestream bowel biotics which is the husks and probiotics all in one. You just put 2 spoonfuls in juice each morning. It is a bit yuck but works really well.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Hi dear. Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy: Up to half of pregnant women get constipated at some point. One reason for constipation during pregnancy is an increase in the hormone progesterone, which relaxes smooth muscles throughout the body, including the digestive tract. This means that food passes through the intestines more slowly. And the problem may be compounded later in pregnancy by the pressure of your growing uterus on your rectum. Iron supplements, especially in high doses, can make constipation worse. There are some ways to get rid of it. Eat high-fiber foods, including whole grain cereals and bread, brown rice, beans, and fresh fruits and vegetables every day. It can help to add a couple of tablespoons of unprocessed wheat bran (available at health food stores) to your cereal in the morning, though it may take a few days before you notice a difference. Drink plenty of water. Try to have 10 8-ounce cups of water or other beverages daily. (Or sip throughout the day until your urine is clear or pale yellow in color – a sign of adequate hydration.) Drinking a glass of fruit juice every day, especially prune juice, can also be helpful. Some people find that drinking a warm liquid right after waking up helps get things moving. Exercise regularly. Walking, swimming, riding a stationary bike, and yoga can all ease constipation and leave you feeling more fit and healthy. If your prenatal multivitamin contains a large dose of iron (and you're not anemic), ask your healthcare provider about switching to a supplement with less iron. Your bowels are most likely to be active after meals, so make time to use the bathroom after you eat if you need to. Don't put off going to the bathroom when you feel the urge. I hope these tips will help you.
Sign in to follow this topic