Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anencephaly Rss

Hi,
Last week we got devastating news at our 20 week scan that our baby is anencephalic. We were told to have a D&E but have decided to continue carrying our baby. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone or is going through this and have made the same decision to continue on?
Much Love <3

Hi there, I have no experience with this at all, in fact I had never heard of it until now so I looked it up on wikipedia, and I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for you to be going through this. I can't begin to imagine what a shock it must have been for you and I think you are very brave for choosing to continue with your pregnancy.

Best wishes x
[quote name='LachieRuby&Bump' date='21 June 2011 - 07:23 AM' timestamp='1308637395' post='3011352']
Hi,
Last week we got devastating news at our 20 week scan that our baby is anencephalic. We were told to have a D&E but have decided to continue carrying our baby. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone or is going through this and have made the same decision to continue on?
Much Love ]Anencephaly[/url]

Hi,
Much Love <3

Also babies with anencephaly tend to be girls.
I found a blog about someone who did keep their baby and she lived for 3 months 4 days post birth, the blog goes through the whole jounrey she went through I think you will find it very helpful: http://babyfaithhope.blogspot.com/

I found it through this article please read the comments down the bottom:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/54
I too had to look this up on wikipedia. And am sitting here with tears in my eyes, how devastating.
I also think you are really brave to continue your pregnancy. Hope you find the support and information you're after.
x

I too along with the others looked it up and I can't even begin to comprehend what you must be going through.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
I looked it up aswell as Ive never heard of it..omg how scary and sad at the same time! gasp
I had a tear well up in my eye sad hate to imagine how your coping..you seem like a very strong woman to go ahead with the pregnancy smile
All the best hun! X
Thank you so much for the replies...i do appreciate each one of them. This certainly is something that is very hard to comprehend and not something after 2 healthy kids you ever imagined happening. The support we have recieved from the few people we have told has been incredible though. I knew about this before we got the diagnosis so i knew exactly what it meant which i guess in a tiny way helped.
Kiwi mum, i am very sorry to hear about your friend...very tragic. I can't imagine not being able to hold our baby and take photos..no matter how short our time with them it will be absolutely precious. Unfortunately there is no chance of a misdiagnosis..this is one of those things were they can be absolutely positive. It is even clear to me on ultrasound. There is a small chance i may not carry to term, either bub may die in utero or due to rare complications i may need to deliver early and unfortunately cases like Faith are beyond rare. I had previously read her blog and although inspiring it's not something you can realistically aim for. Most babies don't survive birth and the ones that do only live for minutes or hours...regardless of that this baby is a miracle and is worth celebrating no matter how short they are here for.
Thank you again everyone <3

OMG, hugs hugs and more hugs, what an emotional rollercoaster you are on!! i personally have no experience with this but i am in a group on facebook grieving mothers and i have read of a lady who chose to carry to term and they documented everything for memories, photos of bump, naming cermony etc and there are photographers i believe (dont know if in nz or not) who wil come and document birth and first pics etc. It is acheivable but terribly hard. You are terribly courageous to me for going through with this,sad

Kiwi mum, i am very sorry to hear about your friend...very tragic. I can't imagine not being able to hold our baby and take photos..no matter how short our time with them it will be absolutely precious. Unfortunately there is no chance of a misdiagnosis..this is one of those things were they can be absolutely positive. It is even clear to me on ultrasound. There is a small chance i may not carry to term, either bub may die in utero or due to rare complications i may need to deliver early and unfortunately cases like Faith are beyond rare. I had previously read her blog and although inspiring it's not something you can realistically aim for. Most babies don't survive birth and the ones that do only live for minutes or hours...regardless of that this baby is a miracle and is worth celebrating no matter how short they are here for.
Thank you again everyone <3

As someone who has studied health I know things can still happen that even science can't explain and as a christian believe anything is possible no matter how uncomprehendable. I hope you get to spend as long as possible with your baby and are able to make memories that will last a life with the time that you have. xx

Hi,
Much Love <3

Hi there,
Like everyone else I am sitting here bawling my eyes out for you and your family, you are so incredibly brave and I don't know if I could do what you are doing. I also had to google it as I had never heard of it and came across a beautiful site anencephaly.info for families also offering support and telling their stories. Don't known if youve seen it already but it was a beautiful but heartbreaking site.
My thoughtsnwill be with you tothe end and I hope you and your family find comfort in each other.
Sign in to follow this topic