Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Market Research Rss

Hi ladies

I am a new mum-to-be and have been on various forums and a common thats arising for myself and other pregnant women I've noticed, is that there isn't a very good range of maternity clothing that is modern and well priced which has got me enticed to look into starting my own maternity clothing store and basically a one stop shop for mums. There are heaps for babies, but I'm talking about a place where you can go to get clothes, birthing and educational books, pregnancy exercise equipment and items to make your pregnancy easier!

So! I need to do a little research and have some questions for you all smile

1. What are you looking for in maternity clothing and are you looking for a particular item that you can never find?
2. Are you comfortable with buying clothes online?
3. What sort of price range are you happy with for specific clothing?
4. Have you really searched around for maternity clothing or gone to Kmart, found nothing and gave up?

Would really love to hear your thoughts.. so type away! smile
I'm not pregnant now, but when I was, I really found it hard to get nice things.

What I was looking for was trendy things that would fit over the bump. There are a lot of things out there, but the more affordable items were daggy. The funky stuff was too expensive, remembering we only need it for a limited time.

The one thing I found hardest to get was good pants and shorts. I was about a size 16 when I was pregnant and there was only fat-people ugly clothes available. Just because I'm a bit bigger, why should I have to dress like a granny?

The other thing was maternity bras. I had E cup boobs, and found it hard to get nice bras. Most of them were ugly nanna bras...EEEW!

I'll probably think of more later, but hope this helps a bit for now.

And good on you for giving it a go, I hope your business goes well!
Awesome.. thank you so much for that info! The pants and bra thing is definitely a common theme and I agree that we shouldn't have to pay so much for clothes that we will only use for a few months. I'll be trying to find nice fitted around the legged pants where the waist is adjustable so you can wear them in the whole pregnancy (e.g. right now I have my fave jeans on because my butt hasn't grown but the button on the jeans is undone which makes my fly go down! haha).

Tops is also something to look at. I'm at work in my work shirt and had to get a size 14 even though I'm usually a 10-12 and its massive around the armpit/arm. We shouldn't have to live like this! Haha.. I'm pregnant, not frumpy! tongue

I hope it is a success and that there is demand for this, I would love to help you all out smile
Great Idea!!!

1. What are you looking for in maternity clothing and are you looking for a particular item that you can never find?
Comfy, but nice looking and affordable. I am a size 18, and a lot of the maternity clothing only goes to a 16, so I have to buy big clothes that just make you look fatter, not pregnant!!!
2. Are you comfortable with buying clothes online? Not really, I like to try on, I see something that looks nice on the hanger, but bloody awful on sad
3. What sort of price range are you happy with for specific clothing? Reasonable!!! I wouldn't like to pay loads as it is only for a short period of time
4. Have you really searched around for maternity clothing or gone to Kmart, found nothing and gave up?
YES!!! I live near Dubbo, so we don't have much choice to start with, but then with Mat wear, there is hardly anything...

Oooh - and bras, great idea from PP

Good luck

Hi ladies

2. Are you comfortable with buying clothes online?
3. What sort of price range are you happy with for specific clothing?

Would really love to hear your thoughts.. so type away! smile

what an awesome idea!

ive taken to wearing mostly dresses because maternity jeans and pant are pretty expensive and i find that they are all really wide leggged. i like wearing skinny jeans n now that i have a big belly find i cant fit jeans anymore id love a pair of nice well fitting jeans for pregnancy.
i think id be willing to pay up to about 50-70 dollars for jeans.
I am struggling to find clothes that are suitable for work that arent insanely expensive. we only wear the clothly for a few months so affordable would be nice.

A nice pair of jeans with some style, shape and trendiness to them would be fantastic.
Also I have noticed with the cold weather coming that there arent alot of options when it comes to jumpers and jackets. The best I have found is a hoodie style tracksuit jumper and a black open cardi.

I have no issues with buying online aslong as there is a decent return policy. Buying online also becomes more attractive if buying over a certain amount the postage is free.

Oh and I love casual tops with little slogans on them. I have one that has a set of lips and says "it started with a kiss" then I have seen others that say things like hands off the bump.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

i think this is a great idea, i have found it soo hard to find anything that i like that is not too $$$$. i've looked in Melbourne CBD, Sydney CBD, Hobart and other rural county towns (travel a lot for work!). but now i am 26 weeks and am finding it very hard, and am at the point of giving up, though i have given it a good look into!

i don't want to pay too much for things i know i won't be wearing for more than 6-9 months, and i've found it really hard to find any pants that have stretchy material around the top that a) aren't jeans and b)cost less than $70, infact i haven't found any!

reasonably priced tops would also be good especially if they can be used for breast feeding and don't cost more than $30ish

living in a small town, i am more than happy to buy stuff on line as long as there are good return policies, or really good sizing charts. though i have to admit i am more likely to buy tops than pants as they are more likely to fit.

if you decide to go ahead then good luck and if you need someone to 'test drive' i'd be happy to!!
Hello,

What a brilliant idea! Im currently 26weeks pregnant with my first baby and WHAT A SHOCK its been trying to find clothes so that I still feel slightly attractive.
Pre pregnancy I was a size 10.
At the moment Ive been going to cheaper shops like Valley Girl and Tempt and Crossroads and buying bigger sizes but this is getting harder and harder.
All the really nice maternity wear is just too expensive I refuse to pay $75 for a top I'll wear for the next 13 weeks only.
If you could come up with affordable fashion that mimics the current fashions you see in cheaper places like temp etc I'd be in!!!
Id be happy to pay between $30-$40 for a well fitting, fashionable top or pants/skirt or $60 for a pair of jeans. In saying that though both Jeans west and Just Jeans do a pretty affordable and comfortable materinty line of jeans now.
Good luck with your venture!
I'm in NZ, but had to add that it is nigh on impossible to buy any sort of warm jacket/jumper/cardigan which doesn't cost over $100!! I can't afford that and so have just been buying GIANT things which aren't maternity wear and so don't really fit properly.
i find the most frustration thing is that all the nice things are like $100+ i have been mostly wearing the kmart $10 tops, I have 4 the same style but differnt colours, i would love soemthing pretty/ special, but i'm not willing to pay more for mat clothes that I would for regular clothes ($50 max for a top) I agree on the comment about jumpers/ jackets being hard to find.

Two beautiful girls, hubby working from home makes one happy mumma smile
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com...]

Ok all this feedback is great and I have a clear picture of what I need to do now.

So next question.. are there any alternative/tattooed mums to be out there who will have their big belly on for show in about 2-3 months?

Dont stress.. it won't just be alternative/tattooed clothing smile
Sign in to follow this topic