Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

more ?? from DS1 Rss

i have posted before about my 4yo DS1's questions, and recently he asked how the baby was coming out. I told him, when the baby is ready, Daddy will take me to the hopsital and the doctor will get him out. he accepted that answer and i thought it was done.

then the other day he asked how is the doctor going to take him out, and i said he is a very special doctor and he know how it do it. DS1 then kept asking yeah, but how mummy, is he going to cut your tummy open and draws a vertical line from top to bottom of my tummy with his finger, and i said no, not that way (i hope anyway), then he asked is he going to come out your mouth? i said no, and he kept on asking, well how then mummy, tell me how.

how much do you tell a 4 year old without lying but giving him an answer that will satifiy his questions. 4 is way too young to tell him the whole truth but it seems what i have told him has made him even more curious. i know this is only the begining of the questions about everything but he has asked a few times again and i just dont know what else to tell him.

so, what age have you told the whole truth and what more can i tell DS1 without scaring him for life lol.

thanks smile
My DD1 was 4 when I told her, but it wasn't because she was asking questions. I didn't even plan on telling her yet. We were just at the dinner table one night and she was talking about pushing a baby out (she knew about going to hospital and the Dr helps get the baby out, but she'd also seen people 'pushing' in TV shows like Friends, Neighbours etc.). She mentioned pushing a baby out of your belly and I just said 'no, the baby doesn't come out of your belly, it comes out of your giney.' She just said 'yuck' and kept eating her dinner.

I think kids are able to handle more than we think. I actually am hapy that I told her that way now because she just accepted it and moved on. I'm just thankful that she hasn't asked how babies get in there yet! gasp grin laugh
I told my children the truth, that babies can be born a couple of different ways, they can be born out of your vagina or sometimes you have an operation where the dr cuts your tummy to get bub out.

I told my DD's when they asked and that varied in age from around 3-5yo. It did not scare them or scar them to be told that info (though it shocked the crap out of my Mother when DD1 repeated to her that babies come out of your vagina,lol).

I don't think it's inappropriate to tell a 4 year old that the baby will come out of your vagina. As OP have said kids don't get phased by that sort of thing. My niece was 4 when I was pregnant with DD and I told her I was going to push the baby out of my vagina. She was fine with that but did ask how the dr was going to fix my vagina after the baby came out lol
OMG my 4-year old son asked exactly the same questiosn the other day - and I said the smae mummy goes tot he hospital and the dr gets it out - BUT HOW? and I just repeated the same answer - and he definitely wasn't satisfied.

Im not sure about telling him the answer yet - he also likes to talk about things at embarrassing times and at the moment he is obsessed with 'penis' I can just imagine how much worse it would be with 'Vagina' as well.

I told my children the truth, that babies can be born a couple of different ways, they can be born out of your vagina or sometimes you have an operation where the dr cuts your tummy to get bub out.

I told my DD's when they asked and that varied in age from around 3-5yo. It did not scare them or scar them to be told that info (though it shocked the crap out of my Mother when DD1 repeated to her that babies come out of your vagina,lol).

I told my girls age 3 & 4 pretty much the same thing. That most of the time mummy;s push the baby out of their vagina but sometimes the doctor has to help and so they do an operation to get the baby out.

I also thought it prudent to warn them that when mummy's go into labour their tummy squeezes to helps to push the baby out and it can hurt a little, but that is supposed too and although it hurts mummy will be ok.

I had a really quick labour last time that had no intro just strong painful regular contractions and I just wanted them to be prepared in case they witness anything. Though it would obviously still be distressing for them, particulary my 4 yo who is a sensitive soul, I thought a little forewarning may help us alleviate and console her a little if she's been told that it's normal.

They were very interested but not at all phased. Though my 3 yo is still convinced that I'm going to pop .
I too, told my son the truth when he asked (he was 4, almost 5) how my youngest was going to come out. I said that she'll hopefully be coming out of my vagina, and he asked if that's how he came out, in which I replied "No, you weren't able to come out that way, so the doctor had to cut me a little bit, and pull you out." I then showed him my scar, and he was more concerned about that than a baby coming out "the other way", he said "That's so mean of the doctor" grin
He accepted it all though, and it seemed as if it all made sense to him all of a sudden!
Truth here as well...
DS found out the truth when we walked into the paddock just in time to see a sheep having a lamb..... and she asked if that was how I had had DD2, so I told him the truth of it all.... he found it 'bisgusting' but I personally believe in telling them the truth, DD1 hasn't really asked yet how this one is coming out, just that the DR is taking it out, but if she asks she will be told out of my vagina as well
Agree just tell him like it is, the thing is it doesnt bother them... its us that feel funny about saying it so we are putting our "stuff" on them. They just take it in their stride smile Oh and if we portray it as normal and ok then they perceive it as normal and ok.
Tell the truth sticking to basic facts. Like baby got in through mummy vagina and when he is grown enough in mummys tummy, baby will come out through mummys vagina with help from special doctors who will help. That will probably lead to how did baby get there, and again, daddy helped put baby there by mummy and daddy having special cuddles.
my boys were 3 and 5 when the last one was born and when they asked I told the that mummies have a special hole near their bottom that babies come out of. It was simple and they just said OK, and that ended the questions.
My neighbour tried to tell her son, who was 6, that the baby comes out the mothers belly button and that freaked him out. I say go with the truth or a soft version of it.
Always tell the truth, even it's only a simplified version. DS2 has just started asking recently how our baby will be getting out. He's 5 and has seen some women in labour on tv drama shows so that coupled with me being pregnant has led to some funny questions smile
Sign in to follow this topic