Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

weird advice?! Rss

hi there!

i went to see my new OB on Friday (i have just moved to NSW) and in all the paper work that was given to me it has been recommended to have an enema before birth. it has kind of thrown me a little. i know many people have them, but i never have and now it is just one more thing to worry about when i go into labor! eekkk

does anyone have an opinion about this? if it is a good or bad thing?
Well the only thing i can think of it that it would be good so you dont do one of the many embarrassing things during labour and poo yourself as you are trying to push baby out. Wish i had done it!!! But then again, you dont know when you are going to go into labour so really may not be of any help aye?
The last thing you need during labour is an enema. Your body naturally does a flush out before labour starts. It really is just an unnessecary intervention, trust your body to do what it needs to help you during birth.

Worst case senario you poo a bit while you are giving birth, it really is no big deal, you are pushing out a baby and sometime some poos come out are dealt with and you will never even know. Enemas are really uncomfortable and you will ahve enough discomfort at the time, and it may not work properly.

This is just my advice from experiencing three births. Good luck with your pregnancy and birth.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

hi there!

i went to see my new OB on Friday (i have just moved to NSW) and in all the paper work that was given to me it has been recommended to have an enema before birth. it has kind of thrown me a little. i know many people have them, but i never have and now it is just one more thing to worry about when i go into labor! eekkk

I live in NSW and have had 3 kids and have never been recommended to have an enema. They use to give them all the time apparently but now they don't. My midwife said to me not to worry cause apparently 8/10 woman do it while they are in labour and most of the time the midwife/doctor is very quick at getting anything out of the way... yes it is a little embarrasing (has happened to me each time) but seriously when your having your baby it is the last thing you need to worry about.

/ur

hi there!

Unless you feel comfortable with it say "no thanks". As the others have said the worst that can happen is a bit of poo and that is nothing new to Dr or midwife.
Anything that is done to your body or your baby is by your choice (even though quite often it's pushed onto you or you're made to feel like it has to be done). If you're uncomfortable with having one, say no smile Good luck.
id say no thanks....... if it isnt what u want dont let anyone pressure u into it

im in nsw too and with my son, no one offered one to me but i dont think i personally would like it

totally YOUR choice!!!!
It's your choice I don't think you need to worry about it if you poop you poop I watched a family member give birth she pooped on the mirror when seeing the baby crown she was standing up I didn't care or think gross it's natural she wasn't embarrassed she was in too much pain to care lol.
I did a little wee pushing dd out I jut laughed and said oops lol. You wouldn't be the first or the last to either.
Sign in to follow this topic