Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Pram warfare: how do you pick the right one?

Pram warfare: how do you pick the right one? Rss

I have a childcare discovery for my 15month old and i love it its tiny and fits in tight aisels easily.. Now im 9 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and was looking at the strider plus but decided against it because it was massive.. Then i found out that i can get a toddler seat in the childcare brand but would anybody know if it fits on the discovery style pram..
Hi has anyone got a Steelcraft Eden?
Choosing the right pram or stroller is certainly not easy!

With my first born, I fell in love with Baby Jogger after seeing a picture of Tom Cruise jogging with baby Bella, so I bought one for my son. And boy! it wasn't cheap, certainly easy to walk around when doing shopping (absolutely stable even with lots and lots of groceries especially the basket underneath), but try folding it and loading it into the car and it's a two-man job.

Baby number two came along, so whilst Baby Jogger is still good, I decided to get a new pram/stroller, then saw a mother and child at David Jones with a snazzy stroller backpack that was just absolutely gorgeous. So I searched but unfortunately, not available in Australia but was in Japan. Fortunately for me, brother in law works in Japan so we got one.

Baby number three came along 8 years after baby number two and all baby stuff have been disposed already so here we go again in search of the holy grail of prams.

I decided I don't want the traditional pram that lasts only a few months but something that can take a newborn right through to 3 years old at least. Made up a list of features I wanted. Logged in at several websites. Created a spreadsheet with my criteria, and made a comparison: weight, height, dimensions, how easy to fold, age and weight suitability, price, harness, among others.

Hubby is tall and I'm short. So that too had to be taken into account. Shortlisted 3 through online research. And went to the shops with my hubby armed with our list and settled with Mclaren Vogue. No regrets whatsoever.

Treat your pram/stroller as a long term need so you get the most out of it. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and certainly don't hesitate to ask the shop assistant to show you the features and especially how to load/unload the baby (using a doll), how to adjust the backrest, and how to fold.

But set a budget as well. There are the Audis and Mercs of prams/strollers, there are the Hondas and Toyotas, and there are the Hyundais as well. I settled for a Honda of the strollers. Bub is now two and still using it!
I got my peg perego milano off ebay for $30 and it looks brand new too lol it was a bargain its amazing what you can find on ebay... my brother got a cot, rocking chair, and pram all for $50 his was a better bargain than mine lol and they all look brand new so why buy brand new when their are perfectly good items on ebay for a quarter of the price...
Maldita, what pram do you have?
I bought two, as a few years ago when my DS was born, there was no one pram (in a reasonable price range) that did everything.

We originally bought a Beema Q with the removable bassinett insert. This is a wonderful 3 wheeler for walks and taking over rough terrain - but is a little large for shopping, especially if it is crowded. It is not especially wide, but very long IYKWIM, and I have miscalculated its length a few times and run over peoples legs and feet.........

So to avoid riots in the shops, I then bought a Maclaren - Ryder I think it is called. Came with a lovely faux fur insert and foot cover - which wasnt really required in Sydney. It folds very small and fits in the car boot fine. Its awesome in the shops. Maclaren are an awesome brand, a friend of mine actually reversed her car over it and then drove over it as well, and it looked and worked as good as new!

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I have now had 3 prams. The first was the Steelcraft Strider. A beautiful pram. Bub could face me early on and then we could forward face her as she got older. Unfortunately it was a little wide for some shops. We had a problem with the wheel and the company was great but after a couple of trial fixes we were given a store credit and bought the Steelcraft Profile layback stroller.

The profile has the ability for a travel system to be fitted which we will be doing early next year as we are due to have bub number 2. The bassinet face towards the parent. It is fantastic, ver light and folds small enough to travel with.

Because we have 2 cars we bought a third layback stroller by Chicco. I'm not sure of the style but it is a loverly blue colour. This pram has the best turning circle I have ever seen, is really light and folds even smaller that the Profile. I wouldn't use it for a newborn though because I prefer to have bub facing me early on.
This is how we picked our pram....we looked for future needs as well as current needs because we only wanted to buy ONE pram.

- number of children? one now and one or more later?
- weight of pram
- does it fit in the car
- ease of setting up/pulling down...think about when it is raining!We chose one with a single action to fold the pram. I can do it one handed!
- weight limit of pram - very important if you want to use it for 2 children as some only go to 20kg for 2 children, we found one that goes to 32kg
- toddler seat - location, access, can they see?

We considered access in supermarkets etc, I only have problems in one coles supermarket!

I have only the one pram and yes it was a little expensive,however my friends with one child are now up to pram number 2...they have now spent more money on prams than I have! When they go for child number 2 they will have to buy a third pram!

I love my pram, but I am not going to say my pram is the best and you should buy it because your needs may be different to mine.

good luck

This is how we picked our pram....we looked for future needs as well as current needs because we only wanted to buy ONE pram.

- number of children? one now and one or more later?
- weight of pram
- does it fit in the car
- ease of setting up/pulling down...think about when it is raining!We chose one with a single action to fold the pram. I can do it one handed!
- weight limit of pram - very important if you want to use it for 2 children as some only go to 20kg for 2 children, we found one that goes to 32kg
- toddler seat - location, access, can they see?

We considered access in supermarkets etc, I only have problems in one coles supermarket!

I have only the one pram and yes it was a little expensive,however my friends with one child are now up to pram number 2...they have now spent more money on prams than I have! When they go for child number 2 they will have to buy a third pram!

I love my pram, but I am not going to say my pram is the best and you should buy it because your needs may be different to mine.

good luck

may i ask what pram you ended up purchasing?

]/u

Has anyone had any experience with Silver Cross products (the prams in particular)?

http://www.silvercross.co.uk/pushchairs/
ive just purchased a hardly used valco runabout deluxe with toddler seat off trademe, buying brand new can be so pricy! i looked at alot of dif brands that do toddler seats in nz - didnt like phil and teds double (feel like you were putting your newborn in the basket!). my toddler is very nosey and likes to see everything so it had to be a seat at the front for her and the new bubs would be in the main part. so hopefully this stroller will be great!
just upgraded today! we bought a steelcraft acclaim. i wanted the Eden, but they don't make that colour anymore.

we initially had steelcraft Orion travel system, but we wanted to sell the capsule when we were finished with it & i didn't like the pram by itself.

I don't like 3 wheelers. I did heaps of research. key things were: reversible handle, storage space, boot cover & general sturdiness.I also wanted an adjustable handle but couldn't find one with all of the other things. reason being i bought a jolly jumper cup holder/ zipup bit for the old pram. Now it doesn't fit.

I don't want to have 2 kids in a pram, i want DD to be old enough to walk before we try for a second. So having a toddler attachment isn't necessary for me.

I love my new pram!

Sign in to follow this topic