Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. what do braxton hicks feel like?

what do braxton hicks feel like? Lock Rss

do they just feel like period pain? that can last a while and then go away?
they are painless but uncomfortable tightening of the stomach you can usually feel your stomach tightening when your getting them but they shouldn't realy be painfull.
Hi there

The first I started getting them in my last pregnancy, at first I thought it was the baby balling up in my belly. That's what it felt like, my belly would go rock hard (usually on one side) and it would almost feel like a cramp, not a period cramp more like a foot cramp or something and it would last for about 20-40 seconds. But until I saw my OB and he explained what it was, I thought it was the baby balling up. They can be a little uncomfortable, more so later in pregnancy, but not painful. And in my first pregnancy I started getting them around 25 weeks. This time they started at 15 weeks.

Carla

I agree with the other lady it feels like the baby is balling up inside but they are getting stronger the further I get started bout 24weeks. but now at 31weeks they stop me at what i doing for the 40 seconds or so and tend to get quite a few at night mostly. whereas with first bub had them for two hours few days before she was born and thats it
so nothing like period pain for me
Yep they feel like that for me too. Tummy gets really tight and others can feel it from the outside.

I also get period like cramps, Dr tells me they are normal and the more the better (maybe for him, not me! Lol).

Hi ladies,

Last night I really struggled with pain in my belly, it has been happening sometimes on and off and I assumed it was the baby pushing out (when you get the hard lump in one side) but last night it happened regularly for about an hour and it was a bit painful and kept me awake. Thankfully it stopped and I am ok now.

People keep saying that Braxton Hicks feels like period pain, I figured it would be in the lower abdomen, but this was a feeling (sort of like period pain) but it was in my upper abdomen... is this still braxton hicks?

A book has said that if you are slightly dehydrated that this can cause them to happen more often, I live in a hot climate and always sip water during the night... do you think I need to drink more often (although I am also in the toilet a lot) because this may also help my leg cramps too.

Hi ladies,

Last night I really struggled with pain in my belly, it has been happening sometimes on and off and I assumed it was the baby pushing out (when you get the hard lump in one side) but last night it happened regularly for about an hour and it was a bit painful and kept me awake. Thankfully it stopped and I am ok now.

People keep saying that Braxton Hicks feels like period pain, I figured it would be in the lower abdomen, but this was a feeling (sort of like period pain) but it was in my upper abdomen... is this still braxton hicks?

A book has said that if you are slightly dehydrated that this can cause them to happen more often, I live in a hot climate and always sip water during the night... do you think I need to drink more often (although I am also in the toilet a lot) because this may also help my leg cramps too.

PS: I am now nearly 36 weeks
Hey debmessy,I'm 37 weeks preggo and I had that as well last night - when bub pushes out. It was so painful and it went on for a couple of hours. It was like she was trying to push herself through my skin...
Sign in to follow this topic