Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. CVS results for Downs Syndrome

CVS results for Downs Syndrome Lock Rss

Hi All,

I had my nuchal test (at 12 weeks) yesterday and I found out that I have a 1 in 5 chance of Downs. I'm 35 and this is my first pregnancy. They gave me CVS test straight away and I will find out results on Mon.

Is there anyone out there that has had a 1 in 5 chance, if so, what was your result? I'm wondering if 1 in 5 really means that. If so, that means there is 80% chance everything will be fine. But from the body language of the Dr's I think 1 in 5 means extremely high and the chance of Downs is more likely than not. Does anyone know anything about this???



Hi, not sure for your questions, however these sites would probably be able to assist you:
Down Syndrome associations
Down Syndrome Association (ACT) www.actdsa.asn.au Tel: 02 6290 0656
Down Syndrome NSW (NSW) www.dsansw.org.au Tel: 02 9683 4333
Down Syndrome Association (NT) Tel: 08 8985 6222
Down Syndrome Association (QLD) www.dsaq.org.au Tel: 07 3356 6655
Down Syndrome Society (SA) www.downssa.asn.au Tel: 08 8369 1122
Down Syndrome Association (TAS) Tel: 03 6224 0490
Down Syndrome Association (VIC) www.dsav.asn.au Tel: 03 9486 2377
Down Syndrome Association (WA) www.dsawa.asn.au Tel: 08 9358 3544 or 1800 623 544

Hope it helps
Hi

I am now almost 20 weeks pregnant and when i had my Nuchal test done at 12 weeks i had a very low risk of down syndrome so they did not do any testing on me. Now at my 19 week scan they picked up a heart abnormality that is associated with down syndrome and i had to have an amnio this morning. So I don't know how accurate the nuchal test is now. But that could just be me being a little synical now.

How did your test end up going?

Hi there

We have just had a few days of hell. Found out on Monday that our risk is 1 in 9. A 89% chance that this baby does not have DS, and 11% that it does.

Im 13 weeks 5 days so cant have CVS, but will have bloods done this coming Monday to give us a better result (hopfully) if its still pretty miz then we are booked for Amnio on 21 Sept when Ill be just 15 weeks along.

Its awful news to get. Im 29 and have a healthy 2.2 year old.
Nothing can prepare you for such a gastly result. Please let me know how your CVS results went? as I can see your post was written a few weeks ago and Im only searching the forum pages for others in my boat....its really tough to be both positive and gear yourself up for the worst also.

All the best
Clarabella

[Edited on 10/09/2009]
I don't know if you will want to read my reply but will let you know what happened for us.
I was 35 for my first pregnancy also. Our NF scan showed the baby had a thickness of 6.1mm...gave us odds of 1 in 6. Our baby also had major hydrops...basically the whole baby was surrounded in fluid under it's skin. We were told on Christmas Eve that whether our baby had Down Syndrome or another chromosomal abnormality, it would be highly unlikely to be compatible with life. We did not wait for further testing and had a termination a week later on the Specialists advice.
The "pregnancy tissue" was tested and we did have a wee baby with DS.
Two cycles later I was pregnant again and will have our first baby at the end of November...this time our scans were all fine, we had an Amnio for piece of mind and all is good, he is growing well and we are thrilled. It was a dreadfully painful time for us and at the time I thought I would never get over the grief but am doing great now.
I wish you all the best and can only empathise with you for all the worry and true sense of helplessness you have when facing the unknown.
M
Thanks for your reply.
I am so sad about your first pregnancy. But a huge congrats on you now healthy pregnancy, its awsome news.

I am still waiting for days to pass to have the bloods then the amnio.....what a wait. Some days I feel like theres nothing wronge with the baby and then other days Im stressed to the max that I want to vommit.

I am hopfull, but scared also.

Thanks again
Posted by: laura_jane86
So I don't know how accurate the nuchal test is now. But that could just be me being a little synical now.


They aren't, which is why we refused this test. In OUR eyes it creates unnecessary stress, especially as we wouldn't have done anything with the results. People tend to look at the worst case scenario and run with it. They hear 1 in 6 and freak out when they might not need to. I had a dear friend who thought she was getting a 'perfect' baby so when he was born with DS they were unsurprisingly shocked. He unfortunately passed away due to a medical mistake when he was 9 months old but he was the happiest baby I ever knew.

Had we had a 'bad' result, I would have felt somewhat obligated to do further testing, not because we would do anything with the results but so that we could be prepared...so we took it out of our hands and decided to take what we got given. Which is not to say that's what everyone has to do, just that we didn't see the point in worrying about something that a) we couldn't change and b) that we wouldn't do anything about anyway.

Good luck for everyone waiting on test results. Hope you get the answers you want.


Hi ladies....
New results from my bloods and NT scan combined came back today and they have upped our ratio from 1 in 9 to 1 in 150.
Its so much better that I cant help but feel happy about it. It is still deemed as a high risk result and we will have an amnio on Tuesday morning...Im not feeling that great about a needle going anywhere near the baby but we will need to find out for sure if the baby is healthy, and then I can relax, stop crying all the time and feel happy about the rest of the pregnancy!

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts, Im am hopfull that our little baby is all fine and ok. It will still be a wait for the amnio results, so its all not over just yet....will let you all know.


Has anyone else had their results?

I just wanted to add that having a baby with D.S is not the end of the world. There is alot of support around nowdays. My older brother was born with DS and lives a relativly normal life, he celebrated his 4th wedding anniversery the other week, has a full time job and there is no way I would want a different brother.

If anyone has questions regarding D.S feel free to PM me.

Hi Ladies
I prommised to return with good or bad news and here I am ...... GREAT NEWS! our Amnio results are in today and all chromosomes are perfect!

So a NT scan of 5.5mm with a 1 in 9 chance of down syndrome....has turned out to be one big SCARY few weeks for us.

Please have hope out there......a large nuchal doesnt always mean bad news.

Thank you to all who have encouraged me to stay positive. Thanks for sharing this huge part of your life with us.

I wish everyone a great positive outcome.
XXXXX
Sign in to follow this topic