Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

i went to the doctors today Rss

and finally got the results of my 12 weekscan. i have a 1 in 200 chance of down syndrome. as im 18 weeks the doctor apologised cause he didnt read all the results last time. its now to late for an amnio, so can they pick up anything on a 20 week scan? i just feel i need to know cause the doctor asked me would i have had the amnio had it been offered i said maybe just to see what we were up against but i still would not have terminated. sorry to ramble just that DH didnt want to go to the doctors with me and keeps telling me it will be fine and not to worry and making me feel stupid for worrying.sorry

DS 11/01/08 DD 20/12/2009

you have every right to worry when I got the result 1 in 18 with DD1 it scared the shit out of me. I did have a amnio and it was the hardest 3 days of my life. for me it all worked out well DD1 did not have downs just one fat baby.
Hi, I dont blame you for worrying and wanting to know what you are up against.

Was it your GP you saw or an OB? because i would double check about getting the amnio done. with my last pregnancy i had problems picked up at my 20 week scan and an amnio done at 22 weeks.

A CVS another way of checking for genetic disorders is done earlier in pregnancy than an amnio mayby your doctor got them confused

good luck and I hope you are able to get one done if you want it done

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

im glad it turned out ok for you i dont have the option of an amnio because its been left to late because the dr didnt mention it at the last appointment which was about a week after the scan. the results cane through on 2 pages he rang the first one about the triosomy(sp)18 (i think ) was at 1 in 1698 and the rest didnt get read, he even said it should have been flagged so he could have called me and organised more tests when he got the results but it just wasnt done! i have had one child with medical conditions which could have cost his life without surgery, and we fought for the surgery and it was this doctor that actually stepped in. i dont know if i can go through that again but it is a possibility cause its genetic so throw in a chromosonal condition sorry to rant again

my doctor is just a GP but is one of the few (baby drs) in town im in a smallish country town which doesnt help. my son will be just 2 when the new one comes along and i was worried how i would cope to start with! now this has just started all that again

Its not to late for an amnio I had one done at 32 weeks so ask for one because of the issues my DS has with his kidneys he was at a higher risk for chromosomal abnormalities. This isn't about keeping it or not (its too late by then anyway) Its about being prepared if you have a child thats going to have special needs.

The only issue of having it done late in the scan is that their is a risk of bringing on labour (hence y they leave it as late as possible) but not too late as they can't get much fluid cuz bub takes up too much room..

If you want more info just let me know or pm me

thanks for the replies. i think the dr was talking that its to late to "do anything about it" i dont think i would have done anything but i would just like to know what we are up against. being in a smaller country town we dont have alot of resources available

Sign in to follow this topic