Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

First blood tests.. Rss

Do you HAVE to have them? What are they for other then checking the levels of hcg?

3 Little Ones to Love.....

they check u dont have any stds, check ur iron and other levels, check how far u are, and that ur up to date with immunisations . they are important i would have them

It gives Drs a base level for things like iron, sugar levels, disease immunity (particularly Rubella, or German Measles), your blood type ... so then when and if you have a second round and things change, or when you to do the glucose test later on, they've got levels to compare them to.

Isobel 19/7/06 Molly 14/2/08 Sam 4/10/09

I would advise that you have it, I HATE blood tests, but I found out I have a pretty bad thyroid condition from it. It's good to know that there is nothing wrong with you and that cannot harm the baby.
Its not actually for HCG levels at ALL some drs don't actually ask for hcg levels in the blood test unless you have had previous misscarriage or other reason why they would need checking.
they test for stds, blood group (even if you already know it), sugar, iron levels and your immunity levels to rebella.

I would advise having it done, especially if you don't know your blood group. I found out I was Rhesus -ve when I was pregnant with my DS. I had a bleed at 12 weeks and therefore needed to have an anti-D injection to stop my body producing antibodies against any subsequent babies. If I had not found out I was negative I would not have had the injection and this can lead to serious complications, even birth defects in later pregnancies.

It also tests for other conditions that can cause serious problems in pregancy but which can be dealth with if you are aware of them.

Jackson 28.10.07 and Madeleine 16.12.09

Blood tests suck but its worth it. I found out I was anaemic.
I wouldnt skip it even if needles are your worst fear smile
Good luck.

They are worth having. I found out I'm not immune to chicken pox! I thought I was as I had it as a kid. You will also find out if you are low in iron or folate and if you need extra supplements (which dr's recommend anyway).

They are worth having. I found out I'm not immune to chicken pox! I thought I was as I had it as a kid. You will also find out if you are low in iron or folate and if you need extra supplements (which dr's recommend anyway).

i would definitely get them done i have no immunity to rubella which i found out from my tests and i have to be aware of people and children with german measles.

Heidi 3 years & Annika 4 days

they test rubella, HIV, syphilis and many more things that can affect the baby...also test immunity to everything just in case they need to keep a close eye on you if it's low.

You probably DONT have to have it but it's very much advised i guess. as long as your tests with the other 2 girls came back fine then you should be right. The only unknown thing would be your immunity to things which would just mean steering clear of anyone with anything severe.

did i miss something Kylie?? LOL

You don't have to have them but i always opted for them and the full test too!
Sign in to follow this topic