Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Who has had a sweep before???

Who has had a sweep before??? Lock Rss

Im going to be having one on monday.

I was just wanting to know when you had it done did it bring on labour? or what happened in the hours after having it done?? Also when you had it done was it before or after your due date and did this make a difference??

Just any stories about them in general would be good..

Thanks Ladies smile
i had one done when i was 11 days over due with my first baby and it was the most painful thing i had done before. (not to scare u) but everyone could think its not too bad. i went into labour 3 days later. total of 14days late.

i dont think it made any difference my to labour as it took 36hrs to deliver, with being induced after 20hrs of being in labour.

good luck hope your labour with progress quick and not too painful.

izacc,ethan and mya

i had one done when i was 11 days over due with my first baby and it was the most painful thing i had done before. (not to scare u) but everyone could think its not too bad. i went into labour 3 days later. total of 14days late.

i dont think it made any difference my to labour as it took 36hrs to deliver, with being induced after 20hrs of being in labour.

good luck hope your labour with progress quick and not too painful.

izacc,ethan and mya

i had one on my due date as had pre labour for two weeks, (which i didnt mind at all i quite enjoyed what my body was doing) and so at my appt she gave me one. I dont remember it hurting at all, only slightly uncomfortable because they have they're hand in there lol. I went into labout a few hours later and had Jack the next day.

Hi.

I had a 2 sweeps with my last child. i had one at 40 weeks and one at 41+1 weeks. the first one did nothing but the second must of worked. i went into labour 20hrs after having it and my labour was 1hr 45mins.(she was my 3rd)

i dont think the sweep makes your labour quicker. It is a bit uncomfortable but its only for a couple of seconds. you could also get some bleeding afterwards so dont panic to much. if there is lots of blood then you need to call someone but the dr or m/w performing it should tell you all that when you get it done.

good luck with everything. i hope everything runs smoothly for you. smile

I had one last week at 38 weeks (done early due to medical reasons) my OB said I was already 2cm dilated at the time however it didn't send me into labour but my mucus plug did came out the following day.

I've just had another one this morning (1 week later exactly) as so far nothing not even any bleeding, but who knows it may kick start something in the next day or so. might have to go for a big long walk tonight

I didn't find it to be uncomfortable it's just like haveing a pap smeer check up

HI there
I had one done at my 40 week appointment,and within 24 hours started getting contractions! smile
I just had one today, midwife advised me i was 2cm dialated. Ive been getting period type pains since but no contractions. Its been 5 hours now since having it done. I am so hoping i will be in labour by tonight smile
With my first pregnancy I had one done when I was about 3 days before being due, it did nothing.
The 2nd was done when I was a week overdue - it also did nothing.

I wasnt dilated at all when they did them tho and my cervix was still high so that would be why.
I found them uncomfy.

Good luck with yours! I hope it works for you!
My due date is today but I havent had any thing time, being lowrisk pregnancy and all, maybe they might do one this week who knows?

Good luck with the impending birth!
if you dont mind me asking im new at this whats a sweep

it's called a stretch & sweep, it's where your doctor does an internal and stretchs your cervix and also sweeps your membranes with their finger if it's possible, this is meant to help release some hormones to help you dialate more and can possible help you into labour.. only thing is they are not always a garantee so they say not to get your hopes up when you have one done.

supaexcited - hope the S&S helps you go into labour soon & it would be great if I wasn't far behind you but I have a feeling it hasn't done anything for me

labour vibes to us both xxxx

i had a sweep done, but didnt need to stretch, i was already 2cm. i was 38wks

i started bleeding about an hour later, they didnt warn me, so i freaked. it was definately heavy enough to need a pad, but it continued till i delivered, 2 days later

i had been in early labor for 3 days, then it spurred active labor, within 2 hours. but delivery took place almost 48 hrs after sweep. but dont let that stress you, i had other complications which was stopping delivery, like short cord, around neck, not letting her come down further

Sign in to follow this topic