Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Heartburn.. Lock Rss

I've started to get heartburn in the last fortnight or so and it's really annoying the hell out of me. I'm trying to drink lots of water and avoid spicy foods. Does anyone have any other ideas? And how long does it last? The whole pregnancy?

Hey Nattles,

I have had it the whole time and the only thing that works is 1 teaspoon of bi carb soda in a small glass of water..It will make you burp alot but I swear by it.

Hope it helps
i find a tablespoon of mylanta helps, it works best if you keep it in the fridge, it seems to work faster!!! just don't have too much, i think the pack says max 3 tablespoons per day for pregnant women.

Hi

First pregnancy I got heartburn at about 30 weeks. It lasted until I had my daughter but as soon as she was born it was gone. I just eat Quickeze and had Mylanta.

This pregnancy, I've had heartburn since about 20 weeks pregnant and ended up in hospital throwing up acid. I am now on Zantac medication twice a day for the rest of the pregnancy.

No matter what I eat, I have heartburn.

Hope yours doesnt get this bad but if it keeps persisting and Mylanta doesnt work, talk to your dr about something a bit stronger. How far along in your pregnancy are you?

Hi Nattles,
Sorry to tell you but mine has lasted the whole time. I am due in 9 days and still get it. I am lucky and Mylanta liquid and chew works for me but when I don't want to take that I just have a glass of milk and that calms everything down. I found that the more water I drunk the more heartburn I got!!!
Hi Nattles

hate to tell you, but I had heartburn from about 14 weeks and I still have it. I'm 39 weeks and 5 days. I spoke to my GP and she suggested Zantac. Seems to work some of the time. If it gets really bad (like in the middle of the nite) I use mylanta for quick relief. It doesn't matter what I eat either. Just have to put up with it for a little bit longer. I found that chocolate milk helped also.

I have had heartburn through my whole pregnancy it gets really bad late at night, the only thing that works for me is Andrew's Tums it works instantly.

Nat

Fiance got my to try his quickeze chews yesterday and they really worked. I just have to find the packet to make sure I dont overdose on them. I guess its not THAT unbearable, but the taste in my mouth is the most disgusting taste I can think of. Might try the baking soda thing though. Burping a lot seems to help me but then he makes fun of me cause Im always telling him off for burping really loud.

I hope i don't have this for the whole thing but oh well not much I can do about it

Try a nice cold glass of milk. The burning feeling is caused by stomach acids getting pushed back up the throat, milk acts as a nutraliser to the acid. If you don't like the taste of plain milk just add a bit of milo or something. Mmmmmmmm Milo......
i used rennie with my first, i was lucky enough with my second not to get idegestion but i have it again this time and i just discovered TUMMS last night, i just have 2 tablets after i eat and it works great (tastes like vitamin C) and says its ok for use by pregnant women from second trimester i think.
I've been getting heartburn on and off throughout most of my pregnancy. When it's really bad, I have found that mylanta or rennies helps for a while at least. Doesn't seem dependent on what I eat or drink. Usually it's just the burning sensation, but sometimes I get a bit of reflux where I can taste it as well, which is extra yucky. I guess I get it most days now, though I tend not to notice it too much anymore, apart from a vague awareness, except for after breakfast when it is most noticeable.

I have had heartburn for the last month or so. A glass of milk sometimes helps. Quickeze works most of the time, if I have them on me. I find that I get heartburn from anything remotely spicy (and I love spicy foods, now I can't have them sad ), anything really fatty (eg Maccas, fried food etc) and any type of fish and all I want is a nice tuna sanga. *sigh* Also try not to go for too long without eating, try to snack a little bit. I get heartburn if I don't eat/snack often enough. I think it's just a matter of working out what gives you heartburn and trying to stay away from it. I hope it gets better for you. xx
[Edited on 12/04/2008]

Sign in to follow this topic