Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. How long did your swollen tummy last after your caesarean?

How long did your swollen tummy last after your caesarean? Rss

I am small build, my stomach was flat/toned before pregnancy and I exercised all through it, only putting on 8.5kg. I ended up having an emergency caesarean and just wondering how long my tummy will be swollen for. Because i put on so little weight and only had a small bump, i know its not fat, just my insides still swollen and uterus not fully contracted yet. Its a little round pot belly protruding straight in front, softer more so than firm, but not floppy.

I've breastfed from day one and had some after-pains for the first few days from my uterus contracting, but nothing like the intensity and speed that it happened with after my two natural births. Any simple exercises i can be doing that are safe prior to my 6-week check? I will be up to pram walking soon, but not just yet...
I don't want to be a downer, but you've had the muscles in your lower abdomen cut open there is a high possibility that you will never have a flat stomach again. Average of two weeks to get better, but everyone is different. They recommend not to drive for 6 weeks, but you will know when it's right. If not sure ask your Dr for the OK. Just make sure you take it easy and let you body heal. Listen to the nurses and make sure you keep up your pain management. Anything doesn't feel right when you leave hospital, call Drs Clinic that did the c-section or your GP. I've had 3 c-sections.
Hi same as previous person dont think your tummy will ever be the same, sorry to say! I had a flat tummy prior to my pregnancy and c-section 14months ago and ul never catch me in a bikini again, its just something iv learnt to accept. This was my first so I have nothing to compare it to but have been told you always end up with that wee muffin top after c-section. I mean all this in the nicest possible way smile
i had DD 5 and a half months ago I still have not got my tummy back to where is was the same with my hips but I was up and walking the next day, in a bit of pain but moving and DD and i where walking to the shops after about 4 weeks and I could bend a little more after 2 weeks but i dont think i would ever get my tummy back I have a freind who had a c section 18 months ago and her tummy is still no where never how it was sorry to say

HappyHead wrote:
... 4 years later .... unsure huh laugh you learn to tuck it into your undies and get on with your day

LOL so true!!!
I don't know personally but I have a friend that competes in marathon and she had both her kids by c-section and was back in perfect shape about 6 months after giving birth. I don't know if she's just lucky or what but she still gets around in her bikini and she certainly doesn't have the shelf or pot belly but I do know that she would have been doing some serious training she completed a marathon at 6 months post birth smile

Forever, for always and no matter what

Tutu&Lulu wrote:
I don't know personally but I have a friend that competes in marathon and she had both her kids by c-section and was back in perfect shape about 6 months after giving birth. I don't know if she's just lucky or what but she still gets around in her bikini and she certainly doesn't have the shelf or pot belly but I do know that she would have been doing some serious training she completed a marathon at 6 months post birth smile

Thanks for a success story smile It seems there are lots more of these if you do a full net search - and i tried to keep to reputable info-based websites only. Mine has actually gone down a bit since i posted my question, so i feel more confident now that it is just post-op swelling, and that i'll just need to wait for my skin to tighten up. Have just been trying to stand/sit up straight all the time, and do the stomach-clenching and pelvic floor squeezes before bed.

Since i was a big exerciser before and during pregnancy, and haven't had my kids close together, am feeling more hopeful now i'll have a successful story too!
I should add though Please don't do any exercise until after the 6week check because you could really do some damage and then you may have to wait even longer to get into exercising

Forever, for always and no matter what

Tutu&Lulu wrote:
I should add though Please don't do any exercise until after the 6week check because you could really do some damage and then you may have to wait even longer to get into exercising

Thanks for the good advice, am definitely waiting to hear from the Obs that everything has healed well, and will just stick to the post-op strengthening ideas from the hospital physio and gentle walking for now smile
I have had two c sections. Mine were almost three years apart. I don't have the flap over the top. After I had all my kids. Single in 2006 and twins in 2009 I was back in my normal clothes the day I came home from hospital. I was in for a week with both c sections. My tummy has gone back flat without too much effort. I did start walking as soon as I could. I was told that gently excercise if I felt up to it was okay. With the twins I think running back and forth to the hospital and toddler to look after helped. It can be done but don't put too much pressure on it. Just eat healthy and light excercise and then more after your 6 week check and you will do fine.

REALLY encouraged by two more great experiences, everyone is different, feel i have no reason to worry now smile
I had a c sect almost 3 years ago and my stomach was back to being flat after about 3 months i guess. I still wear bikinis and i certainly don't have an extra fold of skin near my scar. I did the physcio exercises/stretches in the first 6 weeks and walking. Once i had the ok from my doctor i exercised as i normally would have and got my shape back quite easily with healthy eating & living. I guess everyone is different and maybe your pre pregnancy weight and shape can factor into your post pregnancy body? Good luck smile
Sign in to follow this topic