Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What would you do Rss

Well im currently pregnant with baby number three and im freaking out about what to do this time around.
I had both c-sec with my other two kids and this will be the same third time around, but i have had very bad experience with both.
First child DD was an emergency c-sec so i had a epidural which didn't work, so i felt them cutting my stomach open then was put under a GA.
Then with DS i had a spinal block which i was given to much and i couldn't feel anything up to my neck so i was freaking out as i couldn't feel my self breath arhh scary, so this time around i was thinking should i just go under a ga and wake up with a new baby??
I'm totally lost with what to do and my head is freaking me out, i would like to stay awake to see baby in those first few moments but the other side of me is saying just go to sleep less pain and stress with having another spinal..
Have a good chat with your anesthatist before the birth.

Maybe have a plan with him that if your freaking out or not handling the sensations of the spinal block (I know what you mean about freaky not feeling yourself breathe) that he will put you under to make it a less stressful experience for you?
I had bad reactions with #1 and #2, but #3 I told the anaesthetist of these reactions and they altered the dosage for the spinal. I was still ill after, but that is the morphine.
Are you sure you can opt to have GA? I thought epidurals were standard for ceasars and anything else would be the doctor's call. (I've never had ceasar, so just what I thought).

Is there any reason why you won't try VBAC? I'm not anti-caesar but I don't know why women plan them for no particular reason. I was told at 32 weeks that my son's head was already the size of a 36 week baby, so at full term it would be massive, but no one ever suggested a caesar for me. Turns out my bub was 10 pound at birth and his head was 100th percentile, but I still delivered him vaginally.

Anyways, sounds like you have had some bad or at least scary experiences, so I guess discuss your concers with your obgyn. Then at the time of birth with the anaesthetist. Just remember, those moments with your baby immediately after giving birth are precious! Good luck with whatever you decide.
I wouldn't have a c-section.

And for the record, I have had one, and like you, my epidural didn't work properly and I could feel the pain of them cutting. They didn't believe me at first either. They added something to the gas to knock me out completely (without telling me that they were going to) and I didn't come back around until after DD was out. It was a lousy experience all around. It sucked big time.

Next time, I'm VBACing. I've done the research, I know it's safe, and I would have to be very sure that there was absolute danger to myself or my baby before I would allow another section to be performed on me.

Are you sure you can opt to have GA? I thought epidurals were standard for ceasars and anything else would be the doctor's call. (I've never had ceasar, so just what I thought).

Is there any reason why you won't try VBAC? I'm not anti-caesar but I don't know why women plan them for no particular reason. I was told at 32 weeks that my son's head was already the size of a 36 week baby, so at full term it would be massive, but no one ever suggested a caesar for me. Turns out my bub was 10 pound at birth and his head was 100th percentile, but I still delivered him vaginally.

Anyways, sounds like you have had some bad or at least scary experiences, so I guess discuss your concers with your obgyn. Then at the time of birth with the anaesthetist. Just remember, those moments with your baby immediately after giving birth are precious! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Plenty of reason why....if you have had 2 c sec you have no choice but to have another unless you opt for a home birth. the choice is not ours. Jarrah is not planning one, it is what just happens after 2 c sec so dont make her feel like she is choosing this.
Jarrah i suggest talking to the doc / middy next appt, i'd always say try and be awake but obviously if you are afraid of previous fcuk ups by the medical community you have more to think about than normal. Be strong and stand up for what you choose you want.

Sorry but some have pissed me off in this threead. gah!

Hi, Sit and talk to your OB and also the hospital, so they can be fully aware of your history and concern. Discuss what happened with the last Spinal and see what reasons and ways in which they can ensure this does not happen again. I would try for the spinal again, as for me it was special to be awake for it, but if you feel you want to be completly under, do it. It's your choice. Also if the birth is an elective CS with no labour this will be gentler with your recovery etc (vs the 1st emergency one) Good luck, which ever way you choose will be the right way.
Eeek! What an experience!

I don't know what to say sad
Maybe have a really good chat with your Dr and let him/her know your concerns. I'd hate for you to go in feeling anxious smile

Xanthe, Sometimes (because everyone is different) when they are given statistics and information they decide that there is an actual particular reason to choose a c-section. A few particular reasons maybe.

If someone told me my baby's head was going to be big i'd think, sure! Ok. Ouch!

If someone told me my uterus could rupture and my baby could die (ends up my uterus WOULD have ruptured) then I don't think I would have thought 'well that's no particular reason to have a c-section, really'.

Sometimes it really is just out of our hands.

Thanks ladies,
I would have a c-sec in a heart beat i love them so much easier then going through all that pain for hours and yes i know once baby is out its all over and done with, but after my daughter there is now way in hell i would try a VBAC.
I know i can just have a GA as i was offered this with my son and this time around is no different but i think i really want to see my baby in those first few moments, as we really dont know if baby is a boy or girl.
I think i may just be freaking myself out way to much as i know it wont be long till baby gets here and im trying to get my head around the whole spinal block again.
well here's to hoping the next DR knows what he is doing and third time around i have no issues
cheers smile
on another note..how in the hell did i miss that u are preggars lmao..congrats xx

good luck with everything. i hope u get the birth u want.

Mum to 4 kids
Ethan Joel William
Jake Alexander
Emmalee Scarlett
Callum John

Our 2 angels 9wk baby and Ryan Jayden 17wks.

hello,

i recently had my 4th c section in 4 years.... my first i had a high block like you, my second was by far the easiest, third my BP dropped and so did my pulse and they had to pump me full of drugs to make me regain conciousness....they were for a breech, placenta coming away, and then repeat, i had the option of VBAC but choose not to. with the 4th, OB said he wouldnt agree to trying VBAC because of the thinness of my uterus.

well 12 weeks ago i had my beautiful baby, with a uterine wall of 2ml thick was probably going to rupture with contractions, so i am glad i booked c section. Spinal went in perfectly, the opened me up and OMG.... bladder and bowel were stuck to my uterus so had to be carefully peeled away, by the time they finished that and delivered her the spinal was GOOONE, i was in agony, i got gas, fentanyl and ketamine for the pain for 45 mins until they finished. i wish they had knocked me out.i held her for about 2 minutes then i didnt get to hold her until in recovery. DP had her in the corner, so i may aswell have had a GA in that respect, i dont even remember her first cry. if they hadnt clamped my tubes this time, and i ever fell again i would demand a GA, i dont mean to scare anyone and this is just my opinion.

You need to do what is right for you. the more c sections you have the more complications there are. good luck with your decision and i wish you a very speedy recovery, which ever option you go for.

Oh and you can ask for the bubs sex to be withheld from DP/DH until you come to so you can find out together...

Stacey xoxo

Well im currently pregnant with baby number three and im freaking out about what to do this time around.
I had both c-sec with my other two kids and this will be the same third time around, but i have had very bad experience with both.
First child DD was an emergency c-sec so i had a epidural which didn't work, so i felt them cutting my stomach open then was put under a GA.
Then with DS i had a spinal block which i was given to much and i couldn't feel anything up to my neck so i was freaking out as i couldn't feel my self breath arhh scary, so this time around i was thinking should i just go under a ga and wake up with a new baby??
I'm totally lost with what to do and my head is freaking me out, i would like to stay awake to see baby in those first few moments but the other side of me is saying just go to sleep less pain and stress with having another spinal..
Sign in to follow this topic