Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Hynobirthing & Calmbirth experiences Rss

Hi everyone,

Im after experiences using either of these methods, did it work for you? Has anyone used drugs in birth and then gone on to have a drug free birth using either method?

I've got 2 kids and I'm currently pregnant with my 3rd. My first two i wanted a drug free birth but i have a really low pain threshold and don't handle the pain well at all so i ended up having an epidural both times. This time i really want a drug free birth as it will be my last.

Im looking into getting a hypnobirthing or calmbirth book and cd. Ive looked into the classes but there is only 1 place that does it near me and its $500 for two classes and a cd, theres no way i can afford to pay that for something that I may not get anything out of. Will the book and cd be useful without doing the classes also?

Has anyone not had success with either method?

Yep, I think it would be worth it.
We attended a calm birthing course, it was 2 x 2 hr classes and it was really good.
But saying that it mainly concentrated on breathing techniques none of which I used smile Although I did 'breath' the baby out, so allowing my body to do the pushing naturally, and he was out within 4 contractions.
I did tried to relax through my contractions and had a really positive mind, thinking the baby down andout.
This was my 2nd birth and I was induced with both. The 2nd time was a very positive experience for me, the first one not so.
I think the calm birthing really helped.
I also read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, which was really good too.
Both the book and calm birthing focus on birth being positive and natural, and I really do believe it depends a lot on your mind set.
smile

Ok thanks ill look into the Ina May Gaskin book too. I agree that it depends on your mind set a lot, thats something i really need help with. I totally seize up when the pain gets bad and instead of thinking its one step closer all i can think about is that the pain will get worse before it gets better and that i can't handle it. I give up and dont breathe well.

Thanks for your reply, ill definitely get the book and cd and see if i think i need the classes after that.

We did a hypnobirthing course and found it really beneficial. If you read the book, practise the exercises and breathing techniques, listen to the cd and practise the suggested visualisations then you wouldn't really need to do the course. To me the book made sense, it wasn't "hogwog" as I've heard some say but based on fact and science.
I agree with little egg it depends hugely on mindset leading up to it.
For me I had a 5 hour labour (first and so far only baby), spent the first 4 and a bit hours comfortable at home using the learnt techniques before going down to the hospital and she arrived 40 minutes after walking in the door. The part from arriving at hospital to the birth itself wasn't painfree for me (which I'm gutted about even now as practised so much I feel like it should have been!) but no interventions were needed, I didn't tear , and a calm healthy baby girl had her eyes open and was just taking it all in. And I believe a lot of that was down to hypnobirthing.
Trying to convince my younger pregnant sister to do a course but she assures me it'll all be fine she'll just have a water birth!
Wow nursenellie! That sounds like an awesome first birth experience! smile
Timtam - although I say mine was positive, it was not pain free, maybe I should have practiced my breathing more aa nursenellie's sounds great! smile
I could cope with the pain, but there was no way I was letting a anyone take the gas and air away! Lol grin

Little Egg wrote:
Wow nursenellie! That sounds like an awesome first birth experience! smile
Timtam - although I say mine was positive, it was not pain free, maybe I should have practiced my breathing more aa nursenellie's sounds great! smile
I could cope with the pain, but there was no way I was letting a anyone take the gas and air away! Lol grin

Overall I felt it was fairly positive (well compared to other stories I've heard) but like you I wasn't letting anyone take the gas away, lol , despite begging for dh to pass me the phone so I could phone an anaesthetist to come and give me an epidural (which didn't happen much to my disappointment!) it all happened so fast and I just couldn't seem to get back into that calm space like at home. Despite that last bit it was ok tho!
Tim tam let us know what you think if you end up looking into it smile
Thanks ladies i appreciate the feedback. Im thinking after reading your replies i might look into the classes after all. Will let you know what i decide!

Sign in to follow this topic