Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Home Births & Drug Free Births
  5. Positive drug free birth stories..please!

Positive drug free birth stories..please! Lock Rss

Hi

I know it's a pain to start a new post on topics that have been discussed a million times but I have read the forum for hours and have read some fantastic stories but just after a little more info.

I am a first time mum to be at almost 34 weeks. I am planning on a drug free birth if I can. My mum is my inspiration of course after doing it drug free 3 times (2nd was a stillborn) but I understand as I have never been in that situation I do not know how I will cope.

I would greatly appreciate some POSITIVE stories on your drug free births especially from people who managed to do it with their first.

Also, coping with the pain during labour is one thing but how about after? How long are you in pain/discomfort for? Going to toilet etc. Nothing is TMI for me I need as much as you can give!

Thanks

Hi

I know it's a pain to start a new post on topics that have been discussed a million times but I have read the forum for hours and have read some fantastic stories but just after a little more info.

I am a first time mum to be at almost 34 weeks. I am planning on a drug free birth if I can. My mum is my inspiration of course after doing it drug free 3 times (2nd was a stillborn) but I understand as I have never been in that situation I do not know how I will cope.

I would greatly appreciate some POSITIVE stories on your drug free births especially from people who managed to do it with their first.

Also, coping with the pain during labour is one thing but how about after? How long are you in pain/discomfort for? Going to toilet etc. Nothing is TMI for me I need as much as you can give!

Thanks

I had a drug free labour 3rd time round. With my 1st and 2nd I had posterior babies so a shot of pethidine helped me get through some of the hardest parts, but had I known what I knew going into my 3rd labour, I think I could have done without them. The best thing you can do is read like a demon - positions that help ease labour pain, ways your DP can help you get through the hard parts, what you can do to prepare yourself. But the things is - nobody expects you to be a hero. If you feel that having a little bit of something will help you, nobody is going to think any less of you!

As for afterwards, it really depends again on what happens suring delivery. If you tear or have a graze, you may have stitches (you'll get a shot of local so you won't feel anything more than a bit of tugging - if you do feel it, tell them you need more!) but having a wee right after birth can sometimes sting. Try and wee regularly while in labour, and for your first wee after, do it in the shower - the water will cut the acidity. Even pour a cup of warm water over the sore bit while you wee for a day afterwards.

You may have afterpains in your uterus - this is your womb shrinking back to normal size and it's a raelly good thing, even if it doesn't feel it! I can't remember having them after my 1st but 2nd and 3rd time was very painful - ask for Panadol if you need it. Generally it's while you BF as the baby's sucking prompts the reflex.

Do you plan to BF? Take some Lansinoh in with you as nobody tells you that learning to BF can hurt! Nobody told me anyway lol. Ask for help, don't be shy about exposing your breasts - feel free to ask visitors to leave for 15 minutes if they are making it uncomfortable for you.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great tips in here, but most of all I would say, go into your labour with a completely open mind. With my 2nd things went very wrong and I didn't cope very well, mainly as I had expectations that weren't met and I completely lost it when things didn't go to plan. With my DD I asked the midwife to help me get into good positions, asked for advice, massage, shower, heat packs x 4 - 2 on my back and 2 on my front! A fitball, nest on the floor of soft coverings so you can sprawl if you feel like it. Don't just lie on the bed - get up and move, use gravity to help your baby down the birth canal, even if you feel tired.

All the best, every mum is scared the first time but remember - open mind ok! xx
For me there was little to no pain after the delivery. I had second degree tears with both my labours but after having the stitches put in didn't really experienced much discomfort. So long as I drank a decent amount of water (something to do when bf anyway) there wasn't any issue with stinging when going to the toilet - the stinging mainly happens when it is more 'concentrated' and the water helps to 'dilute' it. With DD, born at 10:55am, I did take a panadol to help me go to sleep that first night but didn't need anything else. DS was born at 10:05pm so the anesthetic (?sp) was still in place from having the stitches that first night and by the second night they weren't a problem.

All in all, I think your mind set and the length of time you labour will really help you achieve your drug free birth. Support and encouragement from those around you will also be very beneficial. If your midwife understands that you really want to have a drug free birth they will help to encourage you when you are wavering in your belief that you can do it etc and that help/support is really important when you are 'in the moment'. Read up all the information you can and go in knowing different things you want to try. Also be open to any suggestions that your midwife might give you, they may sound weird but the 'weird' suggestion may well be just what you need to keep going.

All the best for the upcoming arrival of your child.

Leisa.
Hi.
I've got two boys now, both were drug free births. In my case there was no time for the drugs to get to work before I had my babies, not that I really wanted any but wasn't opposed to it.
DS1 was a 2 hour labour, went straight to hospital at the first sign of period-like pain, was 3 cm dilated, he was in my arms about an hour and a half later. 7lb, 4oz. Tore inside and out as he really did just fly outta there! The doctor literally dropped the phone he was on booking the theatre for an emergency ceasarean(sp), and caught my baby. A few afterpains but nothing major. I got the second half of the sewing up done with no anaesthetic, that was, um, interesting.
DS2 was a 3 hour labour, went to hospital straight away again, was 7cm dilated, not long and he was out! 9lb,6oz. No tearing, not a scratch. He was back to front (is that what 'posterior' is?) so I got on my hands and knees for that one. I was on my back for DS1. The afterpains were worse than contractions at times, it was a bit of a shock.

And after all that, there isn't a thing I would change. It's a bit of pain, it passes. I agree with the 'open mind' policy. I went in, both times, with no 'birth plans' or expectations for the labour or birth. There was a few things I would've liked to have had happen if it was possible, it wasn't, so be it.
It's amazing how much your body takes over and just knows what to do, I say go with it.
Best of luck smile
i had 2 drug free births and will have another with this one.

with my 1st i went in saying i didn't want drug at the end i was crying for it but my hubby and midwife said no and i'm so happy that i didn't.15 mins after giving birth i was up and walking around.
with my 2rd it was so quick even if i wanted drug i couldn't have then.the after pains were a lot worst.i was home 8hrs after hes was born.

just remember it will hurt a lot but its only for a short time and listen to what your midwife tells you.

good luck
Hey hun! Good for you for hoping to go drug free smile

with DD1 I had gas and pethedine injection as she was posterior. I also had to have an episiotmy as her heart rate was dropping rapidly. The only pain I had after was associated with the stitches I had to have. Oh and I found after having DD1 I discovered muscles i didn't know I had. For eg the following day different spots of my body were a little tender muscle wise.

With DD2 I did all myself with no drugs at all. I tried to stay upright as much as possible as for some reason it seems easier to focus on what you are doing. I know this sounds lame but I got through each contraction by closing my eyes and saying over and over to myself 'this is nothing! Is this seriously the best you've got! I thought I was going to be in pain!' etc etc seemed to work lol. I found the worst pain I was in was after they broke my waters (I was 9cms dialated when they did) but in saying that as soon as she broke them it was time to push. I think once the pushing started I lost all sense of any pain and remember nothing until she was out smile I have a minor tear and needed 4 stitches. There was no pain after but I found that I had no energy and almost no control over my limbs (kind of like you are overally drunk I guess) but yeah no pain after at all smile

I read on another post this morning that you should take URAL as it reducs the acid in your urine and will take the sting out. It stung a little to pee afterwards but I thought that was only because of my stitches. Another little hint - don't try and force yourself to 'drop the kids at the pool'. It doesn't hurt if you let your body decide to go naturally and you don't strain yourself because you have decided that its time wink

The best advice I can give you is you hear stories of women screaming or yelling in pain but as my midwife said to me 'Every noise you make is taking away from the strength behind each push. Its ok to yell but if you do, just be aware that it is going to take longer to get her out'. Try and labour as much as possible before heading to the hospital and try and stay upright (gravity helps) - find something to entertain yourself with. A freind of mine played the Wii for hours on end as it kept her busy, I walked around the local shops for hours so I had something else to think about etc. And IMO if you go into it thinking 'I don't think I can do this anymore' etc then chances are you won't. Think the Little Engine That Could. Tell yourself that you can do it. Get your DP to tell you that you can do it if you think that that will help smile Oh and if they try and break your waters, ask them to wait as long as possible to do because that pain is the worse that you will feel smile If you tell your midwife that you are hoping to do it drug free than most will try and remind you of what you want if you do ask for drugs later down the track.

Last but not least, don't try and be a hero (for lack of better words lol). If you feel like you need help then ask for it. As wonderful as it is to have a drug free birth it is OK to have pain relief too!! I am looking forward to hopefully another drug free birth this time but I will take it all as it comes. You are going to do great though! Find a happy place and it will be AMAZING!!
Wow, thank you so much for all your encouraging stories and words of advice.

I know all I can do is go in there with an open mind and a "can do" attitude but I am also aware that things might not go to plan and that's ok.

So exciting that we get to meet our baby in 6 weeks (sooner or later you never know!). I'll admit I am a little scared of the pain and sensations and the whole expereince I guess, but what an experience it'll be!

Congrats to all you wonderful ladies out there who have done it (most more then once!)

Thanks
Hello!
I'm also 34 weeks and *hoping* to have drug free. This is my first so I don't have a personal birth story....but you can find a truly inspiring birth story here...www.sausagemama.com. I really can't recommend it enough (I have read it about a thousand times already).

She used 'hypnobirthing' and felt NO pain. Her labour was 4 hours from the first 'sensation' (her description of contractions).

The course to do hypnobirthing usually takes about 5 weeks so it's too late to learn now, but I am SO doing this for the rest of my births!

I am so excited for my labour and I feel so ready. I am told I will get a 'rude shock' when I actually AM in labour, but that is so negative, and I don't listen to them. The positive stories shared here make me believe in my body and my baby. We know what to do and we can do it!

Wishing you all the best in your birth, I can't wait to hear all about it!
Hi

Im pregnant with my 2nd now and had my first 6yrs ago, when i set up my birth plan with my m/w we discussed pain relief options and i decided on a see how it goes plan.

I had a 36hr labour from start to finish, spent 4hrs pushing with no success and had a vontuse delivery, completly drug free. I found i spent alot of time ''mooing'' and groaning, and pacing the delivery room floor but never got to the point where i felt i couldnt cope with the pain.
Hopefully ill manage to do the same with this one...but maybe minus the vontuse would be nice.

I think the main thing is to make your birth plan with an open mind and allow yourself to be flexible and accept changes if you need/want to.

Good luck
hello,
I had my baby 8 weeks ago, natural and drug free!
that was my first pregnacy and I had never stepped foot into a hospital before so I was petrafied of what the pain would feel like.
I was in labour all weekend but took a while for me to dialate. I woke up at 2 in the morning on Monday morning and my water had broken. I called my midwife and she said to relax and have some panadol.
after having a shower then a bath and some panadol (2hrs later) I called again and said I was starting to get uncomfortable and wanted to go in.
as soon as I got off the phone, I felt the need to push! I couldn't controll it and ended up getting to the hospit just in time because his head was right there!
I think the advantage of no drug is how awake and alert My baby was when he came out. I also could stand up and have a shower.
if you are planning on having a drug free birth, I say stay at home as long as you can bear to, it eliminates the temptation to ask the nurse for pain relief!

good luck!!
both my births were pain relief free i just never found i really needed it (although maybe i should have for the second) .

in saying it both my active labours were really short only 3-5 hrs i had a pool for the first but not the second.

in saying all this i had planned for drugs to be used but was against an epi but just never had time to be honest.

all i can suggest is plan for the drugs in case and listen to your body if you've had enough on labour and need help take it but if your handling it and bub is doing fine don't basically.

Hi Catchoo

I'm not sure if you've had your baby yet (you must be nearly there by now!) but have to assume you haven't.

I have 2 kids (currently pregnant with #3). Feel very fortunate to have had two fantastic drug-free natural births, and am hoping for the same 3rd time around! I think it comes down to a combination of preparation, support, strength of mind and LUCK, in different proportions depending on the individual (eg. I have friends who even with the best preparation and support, did not end up with the natural birth they wanted – although they were disappointed, as everyone says in the end what matters is a healthy bub & mum!).

Preparation – For my first (daughter) I did HEAPS of preparation – was already pretty fit and continued with yoga and swimming, read books about active / natural birth, listened to pregnancy and birth relaxation CDs, read positive birth stories (and a DVD I watched of natural births was GREAT in demystifying the whole experience and getting a sense of ‘normality’ about it, but I can’t remember the name of it), took a tonic to strengthen the uterine muscles (raspberry leaf etc), you name it I did it!

Support – As well as my partner (who was supportive enough but completely inexperienced!) I hired a doula, which I cannot recommend highly enough! I imagine things could have easily been different without her experience and calm reassurance letting me know all the time how well I was doing. (I didn’t have an issue with negative hospital policies because I was in a birth centre but in a hospital imagine it would have been even more important, to have her advocating for my wishes). She gave me CDs to listen to beforehand, and during the labour gave me some really great hints – like telling me to visualise, during each contraction, the cervix being pulled open a little bit more. Somehow, focusing on the ‘usefulness’ rather than the pain itself really helped me to relax and ‘go with’ the contractions rather than fighting them or being scared of the pain.

Mindpower – In the end I went a week overdue, then had a week of nightly contractions which felt like the real thing but always stopped at daybreak. After a week of that I was a nervous wreck (exhausted and wondering if it was ever going to happen for real). But I also REALLY wanted to avoid an induction as I felt my body was just doing what it needed to do to get ready to give birth... and I suspected an induction might make it harder to refuse the drugs etc. On the Friday night I was having 1 minute contractions 8 minutes apart, so I was literally rocking for 1 minute, falling asleep for 7 minutes, rocking a minute... all night long. My doula stayed the night. By morning I just wanted my baby out so we all went to the birth centre and they broke my waters at about 9am. Things intensified soon after. I laboured for a couple of hours with pelvic rocking, swiss ball etc before getting in the bath which was HEAVEN (everyone is different but I found it much more bearable in the bath than out). I just stayed so, so focused on my body – the CDs and the yoga must have helped I think. Apparently at one stage the midwife wheeled in the gas expecting me to ask for it but I was honestly on such a different planet it didn’t even occur to me to ask for drugs! Anyway I finally had my daughter in the bath at 2.15pm after maybe an hour of pushing (and what the midwives called 5 hours of labour!).

Afterwards, despite the week without sleep leading up to the birth, I did not feel exhausted, in fact I was on a high for weeks!!! As for pain afterwards – yes I think it CAN be painful, in ways you don’t necessarily expect or think about beforehand - I had a graze which made it painful to wee (stinging) and also haemorrhoids from pushing too hard, as well as sore arms from gripping the edge of the bath! But you just recover as from any ordeal eg. a marathon! And while I’ve practically forgotten the battered feeling of those early days afterwards, the birth is etched in my mind forever as one of the absolute highlights of my life! Sounds crazy but it’s true.

My 2nd was a planned homebirth. After the long prelabour with #1 I was told to ignore the contractions as long as possible. I did – slept through mild contractions all night and did all our usual activities the following day despite increasingly intense contractions. At 4.30pm I (in hindsight, stupidly) took my daughter to the pool for her swimming lesson, only to have the pain rapidly escalate to the point I was having trouble concentrating on the lesson and had to get out after 15 minutes. I got home at 5pm and he was born at 6pm – before the midwives or my husband could get there (thank god again for my doula, who arrived in the nick of time a minute before he was born). That time I was in shock – there may be something to be said after all for a long prelabour.

Good luck, I think you are very wise to focus on the positive and to aim for a drug-free birth if possible. Of course you cannot know exactly how things will pan out, but all you can do is give yourself the best possible chance, and be prepared to accept whatever comes in the end.

This is very long sorry, but I'm always happy to discuss more! (never imagined myself as a birth enthusiast but there you go)
Sign in to follow this topic