Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Planning a First Time Homebirth Rss

im almost 19 weeks pregnant, and am planning to have a homebirth.
ive found my midwife and shes costing me 3k eeeekkkk!
My first birth was at a hospital, was extremely quick labour, but was a complicated labour and delivery. Had dips in the heart rate, which resulted in a emergency delivery by forceps.

I just want to hear from mothers out there who have homebirth about your views on them and were theyre any complications etc..

thanks ladies!

im almost 19 weeks pregnant, and am planning to have a homebirth.
ive found my midwife and shes costing me 3k eeeekkkk!
My first birth was at a hospital, was extremely quick labour, but was a complicated labour and delivery. Had dips in the heart rate, which resulted in a emergency delivery by forceps.

I just want to hear from mothers out there who have homebirth about your views on them and were theyre any complications etc..

thanks ladies!

No judgments in this question just curiosity, why are you planning a home birth after the first being so quick and having the complications?

edit - just read the reply in the other post smile
Thats okay sammy smile the hospital are being difficult and are unwilling to support my decision to vaginally birth. I dont want to walk in and be in an atmosphere full of negativity and nobody wanting to support my needs and wishes.
how exciting!!! Congratulations!!

Both my girls were homebirths, both with an independant midwife. dd2 was born quickly and i didn't have time to call her. They are worth every cent of that $3000 and i felt I was ripping my IM off....
no complications at all here.
yay for homebirth grin and congratulations on your pregnancy! I had a homebirth with my second and its probably the best decision I have made. We paid $4000 for our midwife and was the best $4000 we ever spent. No complications here apart from a few dirty towels wink

Cant wait to hear your birth story (still awhile away lol)

Heya,
I have 3boys and hada homebirth with my last son.
I found it so much mre relaxed and not having to leave home was awesome!
I had planned a waterbirth and had th birthing pool set up in my lounge BUT we ran outta hot water hehe, so ended up in bath tub under running shower.
My midwifes were amazing and cleand up evrythng, dd my washing, mde my breaky whch gave me and my husband heapsa time with our newborn.
I thoroughly enjoyed my drug free, home birth experience.
Good luck with your choice, hope this helps
Wanted a HB with DS1 but was refused one, in the UK mind you but still. The reason you ask, the stupidest one of all IMO which was because he was my FIRST baby.....no other reason than that! angry angry angry wacko It was also the same reason I got turned away from the local birth centre!

We planned a home water birth when found myself pregnant again, in NZ this time, and thankfully didn't have to 'fight' for one. One of my main reasons for wanting a HB with #2 was because #1 was born less than 4 hours after I went into labour...which for a 1st baby, non induced, isn't all that common. Not that I'd wish a fast labour on anyone, but that's another thread entirely. hehehehehehehe

The only 'complication' was that like last time I went into shock because the whole thing happened so fast, less than 2 hours from memory....ooh and we nearly didn't get the pool filled. I had a small tear that didn't need stitching, DS2 was born in water in the end and it was all a very calm, peaceful experience with no disastrous complications for either of us. We'd certainly go the HB route again barring major complications if we were to be blessed with anymore children....of course dad might end up catching the next one, though luckily the midwife who was there at the birth of DS2, who hopefully we would get again, literally lives just round the corner.

I think homebirths are great, I had one with my 3rd child, my 1st child was born 4weeks early and second child 1hr labour and third at home with quick labour and no midwife (she arrived about 5mins after baby was born).
as long as you are prepared to go to hospital if needed and make sure everyone is informed on what you want but also ready yourself for if your plans need to change then homebirth is a wonderful thing.
the safety of you and your baby comes first.
we are lucky here in NZ that all prenatal and postnatal care is free otherwise there is no way we would have been able to have our wonderful homebirth expierence.
i was just wondering when you choose to have a homebirth what do the midwives bring to your home???
as two weeks ago i had my dd at home unplanned Df delivered her and my complications set in at the hospital due to not having the needle they give you when you deliver the placenta so i lost half a litre of blood my placenta was all ripped up and not together "ragged membranes" and of coarse shock as it was a three minute birth..i delivered the placenta well some of it in the ambulance...i live in WA and over here i was under the impression homebirths were banned until i asked at the hospital which they replyed its just not very common anymore?
I had a hospital birth with DD1 with complications of pre-eclampsia and deep vein thrombosis. The birth was easy enough but it turned me off having hospital births for good. DS and DD2 were both born at home and now am planning a homebirth for this baby (DD3 currently 30 weeks).

Only complication I have had is retained placenta with DD2, but as soon as the midwife suggested a hospital transfer I panicked and ended up pushing it out myself.

are you allowed a home birth after retained placenta??? i was told that i would have to have a hospital birth because i retained - it was well stuck so no risk of PPH - i would LOVE to do a home birth, apart from retaining the only complication i had was when the ob overruled my midwife and intervened when not nec (broke membrane which caused babys heart rate to drop for a minute) i desperately want to do a home birth, drug free no interventions, just my beautiful midwife and no freaking hospital BS getting in the way, figure if im going to retain again (having a natural 3rd stage as last time cord snapped when they pulled on it) then it will be well stuck again and hospital only 15 min away. The idea of having to go back to the hospital to have my next baby - due in Aug - just makes me want to cry!

Hi there,

Firstly - you need to get your mindset out of "being allowed." It is your body and you do not need permission to do anything.smile
If you would like to birth with a hospital I highly doubt you would be accepted into their homebirth program as they are very strict in terms of pretty much only textbook pregnancies and textbook previous births are allowed.

However you could choose to birth with an independant midwife. This is a midwife who is not bound by hospital policy and acts independently. They range in experience and skill, so your best bet is to contact homebirth Australia and start your search for an experienced midwife. Interview them, get recommendations from others who have birthed with them. Start finding people/groups who have homebirthed and hang out to get a feel for who you like, but most importantly who is experienced. (especially due to your previous birth) What state are you in?

http://www.homebirthaustralia.org/
http://www.joyousbirth.info/
http://www.homebirth.net.au/

All the best!!
Sign in to follow this topic