Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What was your MUST have.. Rss

at your homebirth?

I am writting up my list of things I need before during and after. My midwife said dont forget bendy staws lol.

What can I add to my list? Apart from the obvious like towels buckets etc.

definatly get a microwave heat pack it helps so much in the early stages not sure where to get them from i got one given to me as a chrissy present last year when i was preggs its great for your lower back and your stomach
Also some essential oils and an oil burner.. find a smell that makes you relax also great for the early stages
I've heard great things about birth pools you can hire or buy a blow up pool just make sure that its a deep one and that will help in the later stages of labor and if it is available to you get your midwife to bring the mobile gas you never know if your going to want or need it and some midwives can bring it to your house depending where you live
Ice. My drinking water had to be cold lol.

Ummm tbh theres nothing else I would have needed as such if I'd stayed at home (10 mins more and he would have been born here).

Do you have a swiss ball? mine was great for rocking on and I got in the shower when I started to get really uncomfortable - I learned first time around the bath/pool doesn't do it for me.

Funnily enough my main concern was for my first son, I was cooking dinner when I went into labour. In hindsight I would maybe have had a heat & eat/frozen meal or two stashed away for him in case I hadn't been in a position to cook. Maybe some for Hubby as well, I doubt he'd have been able to concentrate and would have needed something filling and nutritious (preferably hot) if it had been another long one.

A couple of light but warm blankets maybe as well, just thinking J came fairly quick, if its a fast labour then you may go into shock.

Thats all I can think of for now, I'm sure someone whos actually done it will be along with some other ideas. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Love my boys M-10/05/08 J-01/12/09

plenty of big maternity pads! i had both in the hospital, with ds had waters broken there and didnt take pads to labour ward so they gave stupid pads that leaked when i wanted to walk to the loo. with DD waters broke at home at 5am and had her at 3.27 that afternoon and i went through a packet of pads in that time cause i was up and about

DS 11/01/08 DD 20/12/2009

3 ply toilet paper!! HAAALLLLOOOOOOO HOSPITALS WHERE DO BABIES COME OUT OF??? WE DESERVE BETTER THEN CARD BOARD!!!!
Thats my must have smile

DS-20.05.05 & DD-23.11.07

Thank you ladies for your replies.

Sarah- Im in the middle of smelling all types of oils lol I remember liking one but cant remember the name of it so my nose is stuck in all sorts of bottles at the moment.

I agree with thte toilet paper lucky we have 3 ply at home smile Quick question are you able to wipe with non scented baby wipes?

The birth pool and an extra kettle to top up the pool with more hot water ( we killed my kettle with the constant re boiling).

Oh and if you're planning on using the birth pool start filling it early cause depending on how quick your hot water system re heats if you leave it too late you'll run out of hot water for an after birth shower.

my baby''''s becoming a big boy almost TT

Posted by: shazmum
The birth pool and an extra kettle to top up the pool with more hot water ( we killed my kettle with the constant re boiling).

Oh and if you're planning on using the birth pool start filling it early cause depending on how quick your hot water system re heats if you leave it too late you'll run out of hot water for an after birth shower.

Oooh made me think and you can laugh, however - Pasta Pot! i have an 8 or 10 litre pasta pot and that on the stove would help with the heating of the water smile

Also in Switzerland they sell 6!! ply tp. Our best man was meant to bring some over for hubby to try but he forgot (we got married 6 weeks before J arrived) i was devestated lol. Can you imagine it?
[Edited on 10/01/2010]

Love my boys M-10/05/08 J-01/12/09

Pasta Pot! Great idea. we only have one and a tiny little jug. I need a few more big big pots anyway so they will go to good use. We have a good stove as well so heating should be okay.

Sign in to follow this topic