Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Im considering homebirth :) Rss

Hi everyone i need your help!

I am pregnant with #2 and am considering home birth.
Just wanting to know where i start?
Who do i contact?
Do you have to get a referal or anything like that to home birth?
How do i go about contacting a midwife who does home birth?

ANy recomendations? Im in sydney!

If i was to have a home birth can i do a waterbirth at home? like where i would set up a pool or something?
How much am i looking at?
When you homebirth do you have just the one midwife who takes you through your whole pregnancy or is there a team of them?
Any books you can recomend that i can read on risks etc?

As you can tell i have alot of questions lol any information would be really appreciated as the more i think about it the more i like the idea.

one more question lol we rent this property so do you think we would have to get permission to give birth here?

hmmm thats all for now lol
[Edited on 26/09/2009]

Hi Vanessa, I'll try and answer some of your questions and hopefully others will reply with more info soon smile
You need to contact a midwife (no you don't need a referral), it's a good idea to speak to a few and see who you "click" with. You might like to have an idea of the sort of birth you want and talk with each mw about your requirements and make sure they are happy to be what YOU need. I think most charge around $4000 but this covers you for the pregnancy, birth and post birth.
Your midwife should be able to help you with a birth pool.
I wouldn't worry about your rental, it isn't any of your landlords business.

I'll also pm you some other info too smile
Hi!

Firstly, I've PMed you smile]

Congrats on your pregnancy, that's very exciting!

No referrals are necessary. In fact, most doctors would have a fit if you told them you wanted to homebirth. You just contact independent midwives yourself. It's probably a good idea to get in touch with the homebirthing community to get recommendations on good midwives, though, not to just try to find a random one yourself.

You can definitely do a waterbirth at home! Often midwives will have pools you can hire as part of the deal.

Your midwife, as I understand it, will usually have a back-up midwife, though your primary care throughout pregnancy, and support during labour, would be from your main midwife.

Some good books to read would include:
* Birthing From Within - Pam England
* Active Birth - Janet Balaskas
* Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering - Dr Sarah Buckley
* The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth - Henci Goer & Rhonda Wheeler
* Emergency Childbirth, A Manual - Gregory White M.D. (apart from a bit of outdated stuff about women should lie flat on their backs to birth, etc, the rest of it is good for the unlikely circumstance of something going wrong)

I wouldn't bother getting permission, personally. Probably the one thing I'd be checking, with regards to it being a rental, is the type of flooring you have, and whether it will withstand the weight of a birthing pool full of water! Get a builder or someone similarly qualified to do an assessment for you. All depends on the type of place you live in, I guess.

Hope that's a start to getting some good info smile] All the best with your journey!

thank you ladies smile I have pm'd you both! I have alot of reading to do so no doubt will be back with more questions

Sign in to follow this topic