Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Yay for homebirth Rss

I noticed the "homebirth & drug free births" has been ignored as of late...so i'm going to bump it up a bit..

I just want to say "I LOVE HOMEBIRTHS"

I delivered my beautiful boy,Mikah William Duffy, into this world on the 24th of June...I'm a first time young mum (20) and I would never have had it any other way...

I was inspired to have a homebirth after being at my mums homebirth when she delivered my lil brother 10yrs ago...
I was lucky enough to have the same midwife as her, whom i absolutely love...she is amazing

The experience of a homebirth was so amazing and relaxing, and i could never imagine having to have bubs in the hospital..

Even better, my labour was only 4hrs from start to finish...it was pretty intense as it was quite a short labour, but it was great.. i believe my labour was so short because of the work that my midwife did with me and also simply because i was so comfortable and relaxed and was able to progress in my own time without any interventions..

There is no real point to this post, except to say that i love homebirths and i wish more women were open to the experience

xx

Elyse

My beautiful baby boy was born 24 June

Hey Elyse,

Im 20 as well and my DH and I are TTC, I am wanting a home birth but read somewhere that GP's wont allow it if its your first child. I was just wondering how you got around that.

Thanks, Kelsi.

p.s Are you in NZ or Aus?

Hi Kelsi,

Not going to be able to help probably BUT...did you get that rubbish too? I got told that when I wanted to have DS1 at home in the UK nearly 6 years ago now. I was told "no you can't have a home birth because you've never been pregnant, laboured or given birth before". I folded, as you do, but then it pissed me off because what the heck does THAT have to do with anything? Every labour/birth has the potential to go wrong whether it is your first baby or your tenth baby! It was the exact same reason that I got turned away from our local birth centre as their policy at the time wasn't to take 1st time mums, like having your 1st baby is somehow "riskier" than your second or third...........

Good luck at any rate. In NZ this isn't an issue, if you want a home birth and can find a midwife to take you on who is trained in it you get one as long as you are "low" risk.

Hey Kelsi..

Congragulations on TTC!!!

I live in Australia...

basically in answer to your question, your GP cannot stop you from giving birth wherever you want...they have no control over your decision!!

I have a great DR who is supportive of homebirths...

having a homebirth is your own decision, and no dr or midwife can you tell you that you can't have a homebirth with your first baby..

They key is to find a great midwife, that you feel really comfortable and safe with..once you've found this,noone elses opinions matter...your midwife can also provide alot of medical information, which your gp wouldn't tell you

good luck with conceiving your first beautiful bub... and i soo hope that you choose to have a homebirth, because it's the most amazing experience!

if you have any other questions, please just let me know as i would more than happy to answer you..

x elyse

Hey Kelsi..

Congragulations on TTC!!!

I live in Australia...

basically in answer to your question, your GP cannot stop you from giving birth wherever you want...they have no control over your decision!!

I have a great DR who is supportive of homebirths...

having a homebirth is your own decision, and no dr or midwife can you tell you that you can't have a homebirth with your first baby..

They key is to find a great midwife, that you feel really comfortable and safe with..once you've found this,noone elses opinions matter...your midwife can also provide alot of medical information, which your gp wouldn't tell you

good luck with conceiving your first beautiful bub... and i soo hope that you choose to have a homebirth, because it's the most amazing experience!

if you have any other questions, please just let me know as i would more than happy to answer you..

x elyse

Hey Elyse,

Oh god I feel so unprepared! Im tossing up between hospital and a home birth. Is it too late to make up my mind? Also I haven't even talked it over with my midwife or anything. I feel really lost in all this decision making and cant for the life of me figure everything out.

Jade

hey jade..

it's never too late for a homebirth!!

my midwife and i only really started out around 26wks pregnant...she than visited me every 2-3 weeks until 36 weeks and than every week until birth...

homebirths are sooo amazing, and i'd soo recommend you to have one if you;re low risk..email me with questions, i'd be more than happy to answer xxxxx

Have a look at some of the homebirth websites around, like Joyous Birth, heaps of resources, info and support for women exploring the option of homebirthing.

I'm homebirthing next time. I wish I'd stayed home first time around.

i just wanted to say yay for homebirths too! my baby girl was born a day after you on the 25th June at home!

Lovely to hear of your beautiful homebirth smile

I love them too.
[Edited on 28/09/2009]

homebirthing mum to three boys!

Sign in to follow this topic