Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Positive labour and birth stories! Rss

Hi my name is Stacey and i am expecting my second baby on the 29th of december. My first labour and birth was not a very nice experience for me. My doctor advised me to write down the things that went wrong and try to work out ways to improve on those situations. Most of the problems came down to drug related circumstances. Therefor i am wanting to try and give birth naturally with no drugs. I have read an amazing book and feel much more confident going into this labour. I would love to hear your drug free birth stories and how you coped with the pain. I want to gain as much strength and inspiration as possible so hopefully you ladies can help me with that. Thanks so much for any replies smile
hello there. sorry to hear about your first birth not going as expected.

i studied childcare in my final years at school, so felt i was very prepared in the birth of my chilren. or maybe some mothers just have harder births?

i woke up 39w4d at 5am, for another toilet trip. wiped and there was part of my show, it was just a blob of snot.
i went back to bed, woke at 8am stood up and my waters broke everywhere. so i showered, rang the hospital, they said not to rush. was getting period pain

told my partner because my waters had broke the baby is coming within 24hours. he was so excited (luckily) so we went to the hopsital straight away.

10.30am i was 6cm dialated. so i went to my birthing suite. wanted an active labour so went for a walk. that only lasted 30mins max as i was in alot pain by then.

went back to my room. i asked for the gas, had 3 sucks and it just wasnt getting rid of my pain so i gave up on it.
i layed with my belly on a beanbag, and breathed through my contractions.

3hours of pain. but wasnt too bad.

really felt the need to do number 2's, so i told them i needed to go to the toilet (they knew i was just about finished labour) and by that stage i was in transition. i sat on teh toilet, then gave up, no number 2's coming lol

i got back on the bed, and instantly i needed to push. so i told them, not sure i was ready as i though my labour would of been alot longer.

i for some reason was pushing on my back? (when i had planned to squat him out). i got a few leg cramps, which totally turned me off pushing. i coudnt push anymore. so they suggested i squat, his head was half way out so that was weird, changing positions.
probably another 10mins and he was out.

i had one graze on my labia, and 2yrs later its a scar and hurts if it gets sore. but its not too bad

so all up, i dont know if i had a easy labour because i was so prepared, and if my active labour plan helped?, but i chose no drugs as i wanted to b/f and was trying to reduce my chance of tearing. and it worked for me. and to tell you the thruth i was begging for drugs at the end, but they said it was too close to the baby being born, and i thank them for that.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you have a bad labour!!!

With my first i wanted to stay home as long as i could to avoid being tempted by drugs!!
Contractions started at 3am, my waters broke at 6:30am so went to hospital. Got there at 7:10am and the midwife stuffed around and didnt see me until about 7:25am. Hooked me up to the monitor and couldnt get a heartbeat. Bubs heartbeat was going from nothing to 70. So they wanted him out asap!! Luckly by about 7:35am i was fully dialated (sp?) and didnt have to have a c-sec. He was vacuum extracted with me pushing at the same time and was born at 7:51am and was perfectly fine!! So staying at home to avoid the drugs worked but the car ride to the hospital was so awful as the pain was really bad!!

With my second my watersbroke at 3am, hospital said to come in and get checked. So i stuffed around (no contractions) had a shower and then went in, got there at 5:10am.
Was hooked up the the monitors mild contractions but i couldnt feel them!! Was told i would be sent for a walk after being monitored as i wasnt in labour. 5:45am and i started to feel the contractions but were very mild and no pain at all.
They thought bubs was breech so had an ultrasound but all was good!! More monitoring as bubs heartrate was all over the place. 7:15am chage of midwives!! New midwife was GREAT!!!! Monitor finally taken off contractions still really mild!!
7:45am was up walking around contractions getting worse!!!
8:20am HOLY MOLY i remember what all this is about now!!!
8:45am OK so why would i NOT have the drugs again what on earth was i thinking!!!!!
8:55am Oh crap the pressure, this baby is coming!!! Whip off the pants. Midwife said OH wow his head is right there!!!
9:02am Bubs is born
No drugs again and no examinations!!! Was VERY proud of myself!! I was blessed with two short labours!!! Very lucky i know!!

I think the midwife you have plays a big part in if you have drugs or not!! Mine said to me i will NOT talk about drugs!! If you want anything you need to ask me and i will make sure you do REALLY want it before giving it to you!!! She also believed in me and said my body knows what to do!!
Stay active and have great support people with you!! People that will stick up for you and that know what you want!!! Good Luck and i hope you get the labour and birth you really want!!!

PS sorry for the novel!!!!

I ended up having some gas when our daughter was born but that was all cos there wasnt any time for other drugs anyway. This was my 1st baby and the whole labour and birth included lasted 3 and a half hours. I read a really good book my midwife had given me about using your legs in labour (the idea is to do things with your arms or legs to match the pain) so the more painful it gets the more active you get, Like banging little hacky sack balls together or using your legs. I had planned to be in the birth centre but due to the speed things were going i ended up in labour and delivery instead, so i didnt get the chance to use the bath or anything for pain relief. I definately felt great for managing the pain with just some gas in the pushing phase when we got to hospital. We were at hopsital for 25mins and the baby was born! just made it luckily. My baby was 8pound 3 and i had no tearing or anything which was great. I think if you prepare yourself as best you can and have some pain coping strategies in place you can go drug free. Goodluck! Dont listen to horror stories smile

Our baby is nearly 1!!!

Hi Stacey

Sorry to hear of your first birth, but remember all pregnancies and birth's are different, so all the best in December.

My Obsstetrician recommended I purchase a "device" called an "Epi-No" which helps you prepare for birth and reduces your chance of having an episiotomy. I got mine at a local chemist, Terry White, and it was the best $160 I've ever spent. (You can google it for more info). You can use it from about 36wks.

I also attended a meditation class once a week to aid in relaxation and prepare me to get into a "zone" for during labour.

As I had gestational diabetes, my Obs performed a "stretch & sweep" where he stretched me to 3cms on the Wed and said he'd see me on Saturday night as he was on-call. I had twinges on the Friday which increased on Saturday. I had hired a TENS machine from the Hospital which I started using on the Saturday morning to block the pain in my lower back. We ended up arriving at Hospital at midnight on Saturday night and I was fully dialated, so was sent thru to birth suite.

My water was bulging when examined and finally broke while on the loo! My daughter Olivia was born at 2.50am, 7lb 4oz (a week earlier than due) after a few hard pushes, and without any drugs or episiotomy!

I hope all goes as great this time with #2 which is due in March 2009.

Cheers

Nonie

ok i will say this - you are not a wuss if you opt for pain relief in any way or form, thats what its there for - to help you relax as it HURTS no matter who you are!! but it is bareable ( well i did have quick labours so i can say that!!)
i opted only for the gas - puffed hard when i felt the onset of a contraction then dealt with it naturally.
im scared of anything going into my spine so never to a epi and the morphine or whatever they give will affect bubs for a little while after birth so i didnt want that either.

In saying this i am expecting number 4 and these are my experiences ( all labours and their times are from absolute start to end and each time i left hospital with baby within 6hrs after giving birth, rather be at home )

1 - 1hr 18min, only used gas but was screaming blue murder for drugs but now when i think about it the midwives didnt want to give me anything more than the gas (i was sucking the life out of it haha) they just kept saying im doing really good and that he was almost here and he was.
NO TEARS OR ANYTHING AND A VERY HEALTHY BUBS

2 - 40min, was induced as he was 11 days over, again only required gas but did start crying like a baby when the tiniest bit of pain started as the memory of how much PAIN i was heading for came rushing back to me haha but yet i managed with a few puffs of gas when i felt the onset of a contraction. again NO TEARS OR ANYTHING AND A VERY HEALTHY BUBS

3 - 26min, well this was 100% natural, the only form of pain relief i had was a face washer i grabbed from the cubboard to bite hard on as to not wake the other kids through a contraction. They came on very hard and fast ( waters broke and i had 2 contractions in 1min)i was on the floor preparing a homebirth but the husband started to get nervous so called the ambo's and they loaded me in the back asked me 101 questions then remembered OH DO YOU WANT SOME PAIN RELIEF!!!!! i said too late the heads out and he looked at me funny and checked between my legs and yep bubs was out. so yes i managed the pain by biting hard on a face washer.... again NO TEARS OR ANYTHING AND A VERY HEALTHY BUBS

however im starting to think of all the bad things that can and might happen with this one as ive been very luchy so far - i will again only opt for the gas ( if i get the chance) but id rather them knock me out than have an epi.

good luck and just let your body do what it knows best
Well, I'm one of those women that a lot of women who have had bad experiences don't want to talk to! I have had four labours. I have never had any tearing. The worst I've had was after the last labour I ended up with haemorrhoids which lasted approximately 1.5 weeks.

The first I was induced. 12 minute labour. (baby was approx 8.5lbs) After inducing they gave me pethadine, which actually caused me pain! I left the hospital 4 hours after delivery.

The second I was induced. 14 minute labour (they told me to slow down) Because I was induced, they DID have time to administer an epidural, which made the labour VERY easy for me. I tried gas and hated it (made me very dizzy) 8.5lbs. I left hospital 7 hours after delivery (had to take public transport home, thus had to wait until it was running before leaving the hospital)

The third I was DUE to be induced... however he decided to come on the very morning I was supposed to go in for the induction. 1 hour labour. 10lbs 1oz. The hospital refused to give any pain relief because I was fully dilated when I arrived at the hospital. I left hospital 30 hours after delivery because he was over 10lbs and they refused to let children leave within 24 hours after birth at that hospital. Then I had to wait until a paediatrician came into the ward to sign us out.

The fourth the baby decided to arrive three weeks early. 1hr 45 minute labour. 10lbs 14oz. Took longer because he was posterior. Because I was fully dilated (again) when I arrived at the hospital, I didn't even bother asking for pain relief. I left the hospital the next day, but had to keep coming back as the baby remained in the hospital for close to a week (very low blood glucose for the first 48 hours)

So, for me, all of my labours have been short. Some scarily short. The longest two I had no pain relief at all. If I had my way, I would have left hospital within 4 hours of delivering all of them. After the experience I had with the last one (very low blood glucose which they couldn't explain) if I have any other children, I will not be considering a home birth, but will prefer to go to a birthing centre rather than dealing with the attitude of most doctors on a delivery ward. My third delivery was a LOT worse than any of the others because of the stress surrounding me during the actual birth, and that was caused solely by the staff at the hospital. Good people around you really can make for a better experience.

I hope this helps smile
[Edited on 25/09/2008]
[Edited on 25/09/2008]
hey, well i have a 1 year old, a 2 year old and am due in feb. Both my labours were drug free, no gas. with my first i went into labour 6 weeks early and was in labour for about 4 hours, the nurses were really harping on me to take the pethidine which was really starting to annoy me as this got my husband starting and i ended up abusing them all that i didnt want the f***ing pethidine (i'm not one to swear but its easy to have a short temper when ur in that much pain and you dont want to be annoyed). I asked for panadol hoping to use it as like a placebo and make me think i had taken something stronger (i know i was clutching at straws with that one) although the nurse said she refused to give it to me because it wouldnt do anything (although i was aware of that). I ended up giving in saying that i would have the pethidine but when they pulled out this monstrous needle (i thought it was a tablet) i refused.. i was to uncomfortable to have a needle jabbed in me. stupid thought but i am glad i thought like that. I didnt tear or have any abrasions, and gave birth to my 6 pound boy 10 mins later. Although he was smaller than most babies his head circumfrence was bigger than my 8 pound daughter. So when i had her i went into labour and thought i would take my time at home but she had other plans and my labour went from nothing to full on pains in about 10 mins the hospital was 20 mins away and halfway there i felt like doing number 2's and pushing... i only just restrained as i got to the hospital i was fully dialated and she was nearly out. My husband told the nurse straight away that i didnt want drugs (after i lectured him after the last incident) and she said she wouldnt be giving them to me anyway cause it was to late. I had her about 5 mins later. You wanted positive birth stories and i honestly think that my daughter was the perfect labour. Although would've been better to be closer to the hospital as that car ride was the worst ever. i abused my husband with every bump, rough surface and roundabout telling him to slow down and hurry up at the same time. I think he knew not to argue or even speak as my temper was very very short. Poor guy.
[Edited on 26/09/2008]

I had the most wonderful labour and birth! It was my first child and I was really worried about giving birth initially. I did a LOT of reading (my best recommendation: http://www.alabouroflove.com.au) and also had a doula to take some of the pressure off my hubby.
Labour lasted 9 hours in total. 5 hours was spent in the tub. I had used hypnotherapy CDs in the run-up to the birth and these helped visualise what I wanted beautifully. I was so "in the zone" that I honestly didn't feel any pain at all. The contractions were intense, hard work, but no way were they painful.
My son was born with no medical intervention, no drugs, no tearing. Position has a lot to do with it too: my final position for pushing out was standing up. Go with the gravity!
So for me, heaps of massage was all it took, and believe me I will recommend a doula til the day I die. She was fantastic!!
Good luck with your birth, just give in to the sensations and let your body do what it's meant to do. Trust that it will.
Lovedoris
[Edited on 04/11/2008]
[Edited on 04/11/2008]
My daughter is now 12 weeks old and I still think about my labour and birth almost everyday because it was such an amazing experience. However, my labour was looong! My contractions started at midnight and Hannah wasn't born until 12:54am the next day (25 hours of contractions). I had planned a completly natural labour and I went to the RBWH Birth Centre in Brisbane (Highly Reccommended). My midwife encouraged me to stay at home until I had an uncontrollable urge to go to the birth centre, and that didn't happen until 4:30pm. My contractions had been 4/5minutes apart since midnight and were a lot stronger than period pain but bearable. At 4:30 there was a definate shift in intensity and we arranaged to meet midwife at 6pm. She did an internal, said that I was 5/6cm and my waters were bulging. I said I could feel them and we all thought that they would break soon and birth wouldn't be far away. But at 10pm contractions were same intensity so after another internal showed the waters were slowing me down we decided to break them. The midwife said that it would get very intense after this and I have to tell you it certainly did. I hoped into the shower for some pain relief and DH wouldn't come in because it was so hot! I was in transition in the shower and felt as though it would never end but DH kept my spirits high and I started to feel pressure. I hoped out and knealt into a beanbag on the floor and we started pushing, i tried the birthing stool for a while and her head crowned (now that's a sight you never forget!) and we went back to the beanbag for delievry. She was 8lb12oz or 3.960kg, 51.5cm long. She was a big baby in comparison to my frame but I didn't require stiches and only had superficial tears. Later the midwife said my labour was 81/2 hours long (established labour).

I started preparing for my labour before I even fell pregnant as I wanted to be able to be to do labour in the best way possible for my child. I believe it is a natural process and one that is possible to complete without drugs although I agree that every woman has a choice in her labour.

The things that helped me most was keeping active (walking, leaning over a chair or bed and moving my hips in circles) feeling uninhibited, my husband's support, the thought of my child, and a wonderful qoute I read in Janet Balaskas book New Active Birth (which my midwives recommended) "if you relax you float, if you struggle and fight, you sink." Sorry about the long post but this is a very passionate subject for me, if you want more info PM me. smile

My daughter is now 12 weeks old and I still think about my labour and birth almost everyday because it was such an amazing experience. However, my labour was looong! My contractions started at midnight and Hannah wasn't born until 12:54am the next day (25 hours of contractions). I had planned a completly natural labour and I went to the RBWH Birth Centre in Brisbane (Highly Reccommended). My midwife encouraged me to stay at home until I had an uncontrollable urge to go to the birth centre, and that didn't happen until 4:30pm. My contractions had been 4/5minutes apart since midnight and were a lot stronger than period pain but bearable. At 4:30 there was a definate shift in intensity and we arranaged to meet midwife at 6pm. She did an internal, said that I was 5/6cm and my waters were bulging. I said I could feel them and we all thought that they would break soon and birth wouldn't be far away. But at 10pm contractions were same intensity so after another internal showed the waters were slowing me down we decided to break them. The midwife said that it would get very intense after this and I have to tell you it certainly did. I hoped into the shower for some pain relief and DH wouldn't come in because it was so hot! I was in transition in the shower and felt as though it would never end but DH kept my spirits high and I started to feel pressure. I hoped out and knealt into a beanbag on the floor and we started pushing, i tried the birthing stool for a while and her head crowned (now that's a sight you never forget!) and we went back to the beanbag for delievry. She was 8lb12oz or 3.960kg, 51.5cm long. She was a big baby in comparison to my frame but I didn't require stiches and only had superficial tears. Later the midwife said my labour was 81/2 hours long (established labour).

I started preparing for my labour before I even fell pregnant as I wanted to be able to be to do labour in the best way possible for my child. I believe it is a natural process and one that is possible to complete without drugs although I agree that every woman has a choice in her labour.

The things that helped me most was keeping active (walking, leaning over a chair or bed and moving my hips in circles) feeling uninhibited, my husband's support, the thought of my child, and a wonderful qoute I read in Janet Balaskas book New Active Birth (which my midwives recommended) "if you relax you float, if you struggle and fight, you sink." Sorry about the long post but this is a very passionate subject for me, if you want more info PM me. smile

hey Stacey,

just wanted to share my positive birth story.....

this was my second prgncy expecting dd2 i was enrolled in the birth centre at royal bris hosp.

on the 4th sep 08 at 2.30am i woke feeling damp got out of bed to feel more waters leaking,the pains were almost instant like period cramps coming about 5-6mins apart.
more waters continued to leak and pains became more intense increasing to 4-5mins we called the midw at 3.30am said to come in when it was getting unbearable.while home in labour i was mainly kneeling on the floor onto the lounge,with a pillow to moan into,listening to my relaxation music(i made up a cd when i was pregs)standing and hanging onto hubby.i decided at 4.15am to leave as pains were 3-4mins.dh went through red lights as i was leaning into the back of the carseat trying to get through intense contractions and we got to hosp round 4.35am.ambos were wondering whats going on as hubby drove right up to the emergency door,ha ha ha and there i was sayin f*&% f&*^ F*&^ getting through a contraction.
got wheeled up to the brith centre wher my midwife awaited me checked to see that i was 7cm i hopped in the shower which was bliss omg so helpful she filled the tub and i hopped in round 5am,i had hubby & mum around me,i had the urge to push which was uncontrollable & my wonderful mdwife had a mirror in the tub and i saw dark hair,the biggest smile was on my face,i pushed a little more and at 6.04am my beautiful little Sarah was born,3.44kg & 48cm,with a full head of dark hair.i had a minor tear that didnt need stitching.my daughter Sofie and hubby stayed the night with me and we all went home together the next day.i would have to say it was a great birth,and im so happy that i went through the birth centre!!good luck to you.

Sign in to follow this topic