Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What does a 'Show' look like? Rss

Hello,

Would really appreciate if someone could help me.

I'm 40 weeks and 1 day and had a big plug of mucus come away this morning but it wasn't 'pinkish' like it apparently should be. Is this a show or not?

You are probably in labour right now so it's too late to tell you, but losing your plug is a positive step. A show is usually some pink mucous that lets you know your cervix is getting ready but losing the plug means you have already dilated a little. Hope it all goes well.
It's not always pinkish. It can be clear, yellowish or even dark red. I would say that it is your "show"
Now the real fun begins. Good luck

Thanks to you both for your replies. & no I'm not in labour yet but hopefully something happens soooon!?!?!

This is my second pregnancy and I didn't get a show with my first, I went ten days overdue and had to be induced, which I never want to happen again. I didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Thanks again for your replies, it's such a frustrating time waiting for a baby to come.

Hopefully I have a baby in my arms by the time the weekend is done!
When you lose your plug it can be days or even weeks (probably not weeks for you as your already 40 weeks) until labour begins. I've read up on all this as I had my boy 2 & a half months ago n wanted to know all the ins and outs of labour. But I too was induced with my second baby, went spontaneously with my first, and the induced labour was ten times worse! The spontaneous labour was quicker (6 hours) and less painful. The contractions in the induced labour were near unbearable and took 15 hours to get him out, so I totally understand why you don't want to be induced again. If I have the choice in future, I wouldn't like to be either! Again good luck, however you go into labour it's all worth it in the end smile

Thanks SouthCoastChic,

Do you know if it's safe to have sex after you have had a show?
Unless you have tested positive to group b strep ( you should have been tested during third trimester) it is safe to have sex right up until your waters break as bub is protected by the amniotic sac which doesn't break open until your waters break. For some reason doctors and midwives recommend not having sex after a show if you've got group b strep. If not, it's quite safe unless your waters have broken. Obviously do not have sex or insert anything after waters have broken as that could lead to infection. Like I said I've researched a lot on labour/pre labour and all that comes with it. Some women actually use sex after a show to naturally induce labour. I hope that helped. If in doubt, do a little researching on the net yourself. It's quite helpful all the info you can find on there! smile

Goodluck KM1990! I only lost my plug twice (sorry! I should explain that I've had four babies) as both of my boys were breech and I had a c-section before anything happened. With DD1 I lost it and was induced 3 days later with no sign of labour and with DD2 I lost just before she was born. It was on my towel as I wiped myself from getting out of the shower (Sorry. Probably way TMI!) and she was born around 5 minutes later. Needless to say, we didn't make it to the hospital!

So it really can vary, but it's a positive sign that something's going to happen soonish.

Hopefully very soon for you.

Sorry wanted to add that there was no sign of pinkish or any other colour apart from maybe slightly yellowish with either of mine.

Hello Boofarama,

Thanks so much for your reply. I STILL haven't gone into labour. I'm not very good at being patient!!

Hopefully something happens soon!

Have a great weekend and thanks again for your reply.
Hey KM1990,

No worries!

Haha! I don't think any of us are very patient when we're at your stage.

Hopefully bubs will arrive soon and make it a very exciting weekend for you!

All the best and let us know how you go!

Have you had the baby yet? smile

Sign in to follow this topic