Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Conditions for the birthing pool Rss

Hey ladies I cant seem to find any info or conditions of the birthing pool. This time around I would love to use one but what are the conditions if there are any? The other 2 towns I gave birth in didn't have birth pools so I am keen on knowing any info you can give me on them also your own personal pros and cons too..

Some questions I have so far are;

1. I am a high risk pregnancy so does that automatically stop me from using one?
2. If your induced can you still use it?
3. Did it actually ease your labour pains?
4. Strange question but how yucky was the water after you gave birth? With all the blood and mucus that comes off baby I couldn't imagine it looking too nice :/
5. If you request pain relief do you have to hop out to use it/ have it.. I wont have the epidural but mainly asking for gas and air and pethidine/ morphine.
6. I have heard it also increases tearing, is this true?? I cant imagine it would but its what I have heard.

Any info would be great thanks ladies smile

it will totally depend on your hospitals policy re. conditions for using the birth pool.

When I got in the birth pool it was like bliss. I didn't think my contractions were bad at all before, I got in though and it was instant relief for both births.

I don't really remember the water as the room was dim. I had bubs and got out within a couple of minutes. Dh emptied it.

My understanding is it decreases the risk of tearing, not increases it. Your position in birth is also an important factor.

all the best with it. smile
Both my babies were water births. I loved it and will be doing it again if we have more kiddies!!

I was told i could only have gas as if something were to go wrong i need to be able to get out quickly which was fine for me as i only wanted gas as my pain relief.

I was induced for 1st bub so yes you can still have water birth.

The warmth of the water eased my contractions, i found it soothing and relaxing.

I was so suprised at how clean the water was after birth! That really did amaze me and my partner! Of course there was some blood and that but yeah it was no where as bad as i had imagined lol!

The gas was right there next to me in the birthing pool, so i used it without getting out.

No tearing or stitches with any of my births! Thank god !

Good luck with it all x

Cheekie_Chopz wrote:
Hey ladies I cant seem to find any info or conditions of the birthing pool. This time around I would love to use one but what are the conditions if there are any? The other 2 towns I gave birth in didn't have birth pools so I am keen on knowing any info you can give me on them also your own personal pros and cons too..

Some questions I have so far are;

1. I am a high risk pregnancy so does that automatically stop me from using one?
2. If your induced can you still use it?
3. Did it actually ease your labour pains?
4. Strange question but how yucky was the water after you gave birth? With all the blood and mucus that comes off baby I couldn't imagine it looking too nice :/
5. If you request pain relief do you have to hop out to use it/ have it.. I wont have the epidural but mainly asking for gas and air and pethidine/ morphine.
6. I have heard it also increases tearing, is this true?? I cant imagine it would but its what I have heard.

Any info would be great thanks ladies smile

Hi there smile

I was classified as high risk with my last pregnancy and after much negotiation the hospital were going to allow me to labour in the pool if I needed. I suppose it's really up to the hospital and how much you're willing to fight for what you want.

I ended up having a home water birth. I did the majority of my labour in my bath with my DH pouring hot water on my back during contractions. I naturally made my way to where there was hot water pretty much as soon as my labour began, starting in the shower. Yes, it eased the pain. The water was soothing and allowed me to relax.
I hopped into the pool just as I was about to push, I felt my baby move right down as I was walking from my bathroom to the living room. I pushed for less than 20 minutes and had a small tear that required a couple of stitches but nothing major. Being in water probably prevented a big tear because I was pushing REALLY HARD!!!

My DH emptied the pool.... He mentioned it looking something like "birth soup" hahaha! Yeah, it was pretty gross ;P

All the best smile

I am kitty wink

Hi there,

I nearly had a water birth but ended up with a forceps delivery. But I sat in the bath for most of my labour which was much more preferable to pacing the floors of the hospital. I can't answer all your questions though:
1. don't know - depends on what your doc/midwife says
2. not sure - probably?
3. yes, for me it did ease the pain but only slightly. the warm water helped relax me between contractions
4. in my case the midwife used a strainer to 'clean' the water and kept refilling the tub whenever the water cooled down too much. So it really didn't end up being yucky at all and I actually felt quite clean by the time I got out.
5. not sure about the pethidine but I'm pretty sure they can just bring the gas to you if you need it
6. not sure about this either. I only ended up with an internal 'gutter tear' due to the forceps delivery. My girlfriend had a water birth 2 months ago and she had no tearing at all, just a graze.

Overall I found it to be a good experience so hopefully it will be same for you. Good luck! smile
I had never really thought about a water birth, but with my second baby, after finding a bath had relieved the pain at home, the hospital I was at had baths and explained that they would check me over and as everything was proceeding ok- I could get in the bath if I wanted too. I cannot believe the difference it made for me, my pain was considerably eased, I felt so relaxed and I would recommend it to anyone in a heart beat- even if it was just during the labour and not for the actual delivery.

It was explained to me that despite the fact the hospital was to technically not registered for water births, they had water-experienced team members on duty and if I "refused to get out" they couldn't make me! (This was all a bit of a laugh at the time as things were going so well they wanted me to know I could stay there if I wanted to!) I was advised if I chose to have pain relief tho I would need to get out of the pool for safety reasons. I never felt like I needed it in the bath and delivered with no pain relief whatsoever. (Unlike my first!)

The bath stayed relatively clean until pushing, but things were scooped out before I noticed! (Didn't realise til I saw it on video later!) it quickly became pretty mucky as my daughter was born but the water was emptied vey quickly and again, I wasn't really aware of it.
I was also told it may reduce the possibility of me tearing as i had problems in my first delivery. It really made a difference for me.

I would definitely recommend the water for any length of time during labour, even it doesn't mean staying in for the whole birth!
All the best!!
Sign in to follow this topic