Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Contraction distraction techniques

Contraction distraction techniques Rss

I am hoping for a natural birth but I might like to try g&a, I've heard it's very helpful and does not effect the baby. This is my first bub and I have almost 10 weeks until I'm due, beginning to feel nervous.

I'd like to know what worked for you, how you got through each contraction and whether g&a worked for you...
A few of my friends swear by raspberry leaf tablets. Quick easy labours (around 6 hours) for the ones who took it from 28 weeks.

I used hypnobirthing techniques. Relaxation and breathing really helped me.
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! DOUBLE!
During my first labour, i had no plan to have or not to have drugs i was just taking it as it came! I used breathing to get me through each contraction as focusing on my breathing distracted me from the pain! My first contraction after my water broke was terrible and i forgot to breathe through it, i took me a while to get back to breathing but once i did i was fine again, i found breathing techniques to be so helpful and such a good distraction and got through the whole birth drug free!!
After the birth i had a big internal tear due to her being born with her arm above her head sad so i had gas then for only a few minutes and it made me pass out! It made my whole body shake and i felt like i was going to fall off the bed but my midwife told me i wasnt moving at all, i didnt like it at all!!

Good luck and stay strong during your labour focus on the end goal and i hope you get your wish!!

During my first labour, i had no plan to have or not to have drugs i was just taking it as it came! I used breathing to get me through each contraction as focusing on my breathing distracted me from the pain! My first contraction after my water broke was terrible and i forgot to breathe through it, i took me a while to get back to breathing but once i did i was fine again, i found breathing techniques to be so helpful and such a good distraction and got through the whole birth drug free!!
After the birth i had a big internal tear due to her being born with her arm above her head sad so i had gas then for only a few minutes and it made me pass out! It made my whole body shake and i felt like i was going to fall off the bed but my midwife told me i wasnt moving at all, i didnt like it at all!!

Good luck and stay strong during your labour focus on the end goal and i hope you get your wish!!

My first was induced and it was just one intervention after the other, awful. The second, I barely got to the hospital. Only 1 & 1/2 hrs all up. Way too overwhelming. #3 was great. I took the raspberry leaf, took and massaged primrose oil into the perineum area. Had a 3 hr labour, didn't tear. Used gas but could have lost it a couple of times. I listened to my body, had faith in it doing it's job, relaxed the birth canal and envisaged my baby coming through. I also birthed kneeling at the end of the bed. I also read and watched lots of positive birth stories to get my head in the right spot. Good luck with it.
my labour was 26hours long (thats including 4 hours of pushing) and my little girl was 8pound 11ounces!
i was so sure i wanted an epidural n all that stuff.. but i got through it without anything!
the best things that worked for me was breathing( and focusing on that) and showers (yes.. they actually REALLY work)
everyones different and you might surprise yourself like i did
ggod luck!
My labours have been very quick and intense (4 hours, and 2hrs) The best way I found to distract myself was vocalising during contractions. With my 2nd daughter, I howled like a wolf through each contraction, long and low, my husband also joined in a few times and it was a great distraction.

Different things work for different women but have a few ideas in mind and see what works for you.
Good luck.

Thanks ladies... I need to learn breathing techniques. I haven't been shown by anyone yet unfortunately. That's an interesting distraction asha!
Thanks for your replies!!
My hints are :
Dont get induced
Try to cope for as long as you can with nothing
Use a TENS machine
Use the shower/bath
Stay upright (laying on your back is the worst!) and active, but again pace yourself (I was so tired by the time I was ready to push, cos I was walking/bouncing/squatting through all the first stage, when I should have rested if I could)
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips trishalishous smile
Sign in to follow this topic