Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

induction Rss

Hi Ladies

well today im 9 days overdue and my midwife wants to get me induced at the end of this week.

its very disheartening but im totally over the pregnancy.

im a bit worried as from what ive been told inductions are drawn out and more painfull than need be. i havent been told what method would be used and the appointment is being booked this afternoon by my midwife.

im torn between refusing the induction and going ahead with it as im getting really really emotional wondering why he doesnt want to come, the happy hormones have worn off this week and its the first time ive felt bad the whole pregnancy.

i was getting prelabour from 38 weeks but as of this week its just stopped, not even getting as many BH as i was at 38 weeks

would love to hear your induction stories good or bad...

Hi Ladies

well today im 9 days overdue and my midwife wants to get me induced at the end of this week.

its very disheartening but im totally over the pregnancy.

im a bit worried as from what ive been told inductions are drawn out and more painfull than need be. i havent been told what method would be used and the appointment is being booked this afternoon by my midwife.

im torn between refusing the induction and going ahead with it as im getting really really emotional wondering why he doesnt want to come, the happy hormones have worn off this week and its the first time ive felt bad the whole pregnancy.

i was getting prelabour from 38 weeks but as of this week its just stopped, not even getting as many BH as i was at 38 weeks

would love to hear your induction stories good or bad...

Hi there,

I was induced at 37.5 weeks due to high blood pressure. Bubs was head down and I was 2-3cm dilated. I hadn't had any BH or prelabour that i had noticed.
I went in at about 8am, had my waters broken at 9am and then was sent for a walk around for an hour or so. Then they put in the syncotin drip at around 10:30am as I wasn't having regular contractions on my own. I walked around with the drip in for a bit longer and by around 11:30 I was starting to get some stronger contractions. They hooked me up to the CTG (I think?) to monitor bub and my contractions and I had to lie in bed with that on for about half and hour. By the end of that half hour I was in a lot of pain from the contractions and really wanted to get up. They were about 2 minutes apart and lasting about 1 minute at that point. I then got up and did some more labouring standing/kneeling and then had a shower. When I got out of the shower I was around 7cm dilated and they offered me gas. Contractions were pretty constant at that point - a minute or less between them and lasting longer. This was just before 3pm. Just after 3:30 I started pushing without even realising I was doing it. They checked me and I was fully dilated so said I was right to push but got me up kneeling on the bed rather than lying down. The pushing part felt like it took a really long time but it was probably half an hour all up. My son was born at 4:10pm. So the midwife called it about 4 hours of "active labour" and it was 7 hours from when my waters were broken to when I had him.

I was lucky though, as I know that others who were induced had much longer and harder labours. I guess it depends on how ready bubs and your body is when you are induced. Good luck!
I was induced early due to medical reasons and it was a great experience.
I got an epidural before they broke my waters so i felt no pain for the entire length of labour, start to finish it was 12 hours but probably could have been shorter had i not had the epidural and could move around, I didnt mind but hubby was a bit bored though. I was definitely well rested when it came time to push.

I had a great experience and actually really enjoyed my labour and would be happy to get induced again if needed.
I was induced with DS2 and it was my best labour experience! It took 11 hours, and like the PP i would happily be induced again. My advice go in positive!!! A positive attitude helps alot!
I was 10 days over when they induced me. I went in the morning. By 7:30am I had a drip in and they had broke my waters. I started contractions, but every contraction made DSs heart rate drop and made my legs, arms and neck muscles seize up. The pain was excruciating. They left me on the drip til 12:30 when they made the decision to take me off it. Told me I'd probably need a c-sec as the drip was what was making the contractions. I kept contracting anyways luckily, but they had to give me a shot of morphine (albeit was only a tiny amount) to loosen up my muscles that hadn't unseized. The contractions were far more bearable after the drip was out. I was so exhausted from the trouble I had earlier that I was barely able keep awake between contractions. At 7pm I was finally able to start pushing. He was then born at 8:07pm. The distress he'd been under early had caused him to put his arm above his head, so he came out arm first so took longer to push out.

I've been told that this wasn't an uncommon reaction. So whilst it goes well for some women, I myself will not be getting induced again unless absolutely necessary.
Hi there,
You aren't overdue (medically) until you are over 42 weeks. It is not that he doesn't want to come...its a chemical relationship between your baby and your body that starts labour. Stress can inhibit that. wink
I would refuse and you may actually find that it relaxes you enough that you go into labour anyway. They can always induce you later if you decide that is what you want to do.
Also, your change in emotional state may also signal labour is near too. I absolutely LOVED being pregnant. The only time I ever felt genuinely over it was the day before I went into labour.

If the only reason for induction is because you are 9 days over, then I would wait. Trust yourself, trust your baby, you WILL go into labour when YOU AND YOUR BABY are ready. Use the time to pamper yourself and savor these last few days of being pregnant. smile GBH you will have a baby in no time!
I was induced - 11 days over due
I went in and was given gel at about 9.30, i was told that the drip would be started in the morning. My cervix was still completely closed

I started having contractions at about 10.30 and by midnight i was in full blown labour, thinking this was going to go on all night. My midwife examined me at about 12.30 and i was about 8cms dilated, she broke my waters and DD was born by 2am (8p 9oz), i had gas and one shot of pethidine.

Ive got nothing to compare it to, but my birth was a quick and as pleasant as it could have been.

Good luck!
hi, i was induced at 38/39 wks due to my waters had been leaking and i wasnt having any contractions. tryed the gel 1st in the morning did nothing then at 4pm was put on the drip and wham i felt those contractions! i tryed gas hated it (got the giggles then made me dizzy lol). had to be on the bed 90% time as had the monitors straped to me - i think it made pain worse then got a epidural at 7cm dialated but only just local put in as was enough to relax me then started pushing. pushed for 1 1/2 hrs my little girl had her hand up by her face didnt help! she was 8lb 9 and 54cm long so was happy i didnt go overdue! all up 7hrs active labour so not to bad.
being induced is harder but if its to keep u and baby safe its worth it. im due in jan with #2 and want to go natural this time but if there was a medical reason why i had to get induced it wouldnt bother me.
but if you can handle waiting longer and bubs is still happy in there do what you want dont let them pressure u into it! (a friend of mine went 15 and 16 days over with 2 of her babies!)
I have had 2 inductions and one birth where I waited it out, the best and most amazing experience was when I waited it out, I went into labour unaided at 42 weeks, I was booked for an induction but happily cancelled it with baby in arms.

My other two labours were still fine, a little longer, and more painful but bearable, I didn't have to resort to drugs to get through. Even though I was over the whole pregnancy thing by the time I got to the 42 week mark, I would always wait it out, it was a much easier and more enjoyable experience to be at home until i was ready to have my baby, I didn't even notice the labour so much as i was pottering around in my own home happily.

So whilst there is no reason to be induced wait it out I say it is the best thing I ever did.
I went into labour naturally with DS1, and whilst Im glad I can say that Ive experienced that I was traumatized by that whole experience and can definately say I preferred my labour with DS2 which was an induction.
I was induced with DS2 at 38 weeks due to leakage. I felt no pain and was doing word puzzles with DF while we 'waited out' the labour. I felt the urge to push and after a total of 4 hours labour baby was in my arms. I felt in control of the whole process, and the best thing was knowing what to expect, I was able to plan when it was happening and have DS1 cared for. I plan to arrange an induction for #3 when the time comes too. It was amazing.
I went in to get induced on my due date, my cervix had softened slightly but still completely closed and sitting rather high. I had the gel and told to spend the night, the next morning there was no difference and decided to go home. I had check ups with the Obs every few days with my cervix not budging. I was then 7days over when we tried the gel again but yet again my body didnt respond. My Obs said there are a small % of women who just dont react. He wasnt able to break my waters due to my cervix being closed and didnt like the idea of putting me on the drip considering my cervix being so stubborn and no waters broken he didnt want to run the risk of have false contractions but no change.

We decided i would spend the night in hospital and reaccess options the following morning. Luckily DS decided he would come on his own that night, with my waters breaking on their own out of no where and 6hours later he was being pushed out!

I'm due again in 2weeks time and this time wont be hurrying to be induced as my body doesnt respond to the gel, however we have decided if i get to a week over again we will give it a go.

I think it affects everyone differently and the only way you will know is to give it a go. Although my experience was disheartening at the beginning I wouldnt personally advised others not to give it a go.

If you and your Obs come to a comfortable safe decision that you both agree on then give it a go.

Good Luck, I'm sure you have already been told a 100 times, it will eventually happen and once bub is here you wont care how long or how he/she got here smile
I went 5 days over due with my DD. My waters broke and I had no real contractions following it so I was induced by syntocinon drip the next day. My baby was on the wrong side facing the wrong way. Induction started at 10am and by 5pm I had not dilated and they discovered my hindwaters were still there so they popped them and my contractions went insane, up until then I was fine with panadol now I needed the gas. I went from 5-9 before they realised I still hadn't dilated and my baby had gone into distress, I had a temperature too so they whisked me off for an emergency C-section. Everyone is different, if you get induced you might still have the perfect labour. No matter what you choose you won't be pregnant forever smile
Sign in to follow this topic