Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Rotorua Hospital? Rss

hi there, i personaly havent been to the rotorua hospital - i live in whakatane but my midwife with my 1st in the manager of the maternity unit there and she is just awesome (her name is Sue Finch) so it shopuld be really nice there! im a young mum myself and would recommend antenatal classes its really nice meeting people due the same time and having a mums group after!
Cool as!

Hah yeah can never be too sure about how clean any pools are aye. Awakeri! Haven't been there since I was a child, nice smile

I'm still fitting most of my clothes, not my favourite flannel shirt though! sad And my jean leggings are tight, so tight that I'm wearing stretchy black leggings and trackies most days. Allgood though, comfort over style me reckons haha

What a *** day! Sundays arrrrgh....

hi there, i personaly havent been to the rotorua hospital - i live in whakatane but my midwife with my 1st in the manager of the maternity unit there and she is just awesome (her name is Sue Finch) so it shopuld be really nice there! im a young mum myself and would recommend antenatal classes its really nice meeting people due the same time and having a mums group after!

Hi chick. Thanks for the reply! I am definitely thinking of doing ante-natal classes now, being a first time mum and all it would be great to get a coffee group started or Thanks for your input.
So bleek!

I've been looking at names on baby name finder for about the last hour, doesn't get any easier to decide lol. But I have afew more to go on so that's good smile

Hi ladies,
thought I'd join you smile I am expecting #2 in Feb, but I have given birth in Rotorua Hospital in 2009. I stayed in the mothercraft unit for about 2 weeks while my son was in SCBU. I think the place probably needs a bit of TLC, but really they seem to have everything essential. I think there are about 6 delivery rooms with a pool - (looks like a spa pool size) so it is a bit of luck of the draw if one is available when you go in to labour. Try to request one if you can.

The staff are lovely - but mainly I was dealing with SCBU people, who I found amazing. The hospital midwife who was with me (alongside my own midwife) was lovely, but I had a locum obstetrician. Just make sure you have someone to bring you meals after the birth, because I was soooo hungry, and although hospital food was ok, it wasn't nearly enough!!! Plus, take a drink bottle with you (next time I will use one with a straw end) to save having to repeatedly ask/fetch for water - it is hot in the maternity wing!

I found Parent's Centre classes very worthwhile - as I think understanding the process of labour helps reduce the fear and pain. Plus, I have made great friendships with the other class members.

However, I found that they didn't talk enough about complications, and considering I had quite a few - I personally would have found it more helpful for them to go over things like the ventouse, forceps and indications/procedure for c-section, and including recovery from c-section or tears with common things to watch for (like infection). I know they are trying not to scare people, but for me, I think I would have preferred to be informed, as once you have a new bubs you have little time to do your own research!

All in all, after my DS#1, I would be very happy to give birth in Rot Hosp again, but this time I will be much more assertive (so would my hubby) both during and after bubs is born. If I won the big one in Lotto, I would love to give part of it to the maternity wing/SCBU!

Haha I spent so many hours looking at baby names. This is the best website I found. Makes it easy to narrow down names you might like I found it good cos I'm picky about syllables and origins. As well as what letter to start with.

http://www.babynamew...ced-name-finder

That website IS good! Awesome!
Hi,

I gave birth at Rotorua Hospital earlier this year, and was in hospital for a week with my baby. The care is very good, but a few thoughts from me that I hope might be of help you and others (they would have helped me!!).

I'm sure a lot of the issues are global across hospitals and birthing centres smile

There are a number of rooms with birthing pools. It's not possible to pre-book, but you should let your LMC know that you want to have a pool. My midwife said that she had never heard of anyone missing out who wanted to use a pool.

The perinatal/postnatal unit is extremely hot and stuffy (although I did have my baby in February, which makes a difference!!). I would suggest taking light clothing, and asking for a fan.

The perinatal unit corridors have wooden floors, and it is VERY loud at night! If you are staying in for a few days, take ear plugs (the midwives/nurses will wake you for night feeds).

Meals - the portion sizes are very small (and I'm not a big eater!), so you may need extra snacks brought in, especially if you're breast feeding. Meals are also served pretty early (dinner at 4.30 pm some days) so you may be hungry in the later evening. The hospital cafe is expensive, so probably best to bring in from outside.

It's best to keep valuables locked away (or leave them at home). There is a lockable cabinet in the rooms, but you will need to bring your own padlock and key.

I would take your own pillow ... the plastic covers on the hospital ones are not that comfortable!

Like nearly all public hospitals, staffing can be a problem, so you may be cared for by a number of midwives and nurses throughout your stay. Sometimes, different staff give different advice (I'm sure this happens everywhere) which can be confusing to say the least! I was lucky to have an excellent LMC.

Partners can stay with you in your room - a Lazy-Boy chair or mattress will be provided.

Rotorua has "Baby Friendly Status" which means that breast feeding is very strongly promoted. As another Mum said to me recently, you can't even go to the toilet at Rotorua Hospital without seeing ten breast feeding posters smile Bottles and formula are not supplied as a matter of course, so if you choose to bottle feed you will need to be prepared. I breast fed, and got lots of support.

I hope the above helps, and all goes really well for you smile

Sarah

I'm sure a lot of the issues are global across hospitals and birthing centres smile

The perinatal/postnatal unit is extremely hot and stuffy (although I did have my baby in February, which makes a difference!!). I would suggest taking light clothing, and asking for a fan.

I would take your own pillow ... the plastic covers on the hospital ones are not that comfortable!

Like nearly all public hospitals, staffing can be a problem, so you may be cared for by a number of midwives and nurses throughout your stay. Sometimes, different staff give different advice (I'm sure this happens everywhere) which can be confusing to say the least! I was lucky to have an excellent LMC.

Partners can stay with you in your room - a Lazy-Boy chair or mattress will be provided.

Sarah - totally agree with you on all fronts. Very hot, very stuffy - and I was in Nov/Dec. Never needed anything but shorts and t-shirt except at night! I forgot that I did end up bringing in my own pillows - plus I found they never had enough at RH, especially as I seemed to need one to sit on (bad tear!), one behind my back and one to prop baby up on when feeding.... smile

And the different advice is a challenge at times. I remember being in tears, with mixed advice about how often and how much I should be pumping/expressing. Some of my friends found it difficult too with mixed messages on latching/breast-feeding.

Frenchkiwichick & Tee - I hope it all goes well for you, and fingers crossed for the water-birth! I was very keen for a water birth too with no meds/intervention, but alas.....things didn't happen the way I wanted them to, with bubs arriving early, in distress & with the aid of forceps. I think it is great to have a plan in mind, but be flexible on the day.

I have found it hard to deal with a big let down/sense of failure having expected a fairly normal birth (since my mother & sister had no problems...) and I know others have felt similar about things like breastfeeding, no meds or no c-section, etc. But in saying that, I am sooooo hoping for a 'normal' and 'non-medical' birth this time, but still trying to prepare myself mentally that when it comes down to it I may not have a choice. sad

Best of luck guys, hope things are still progressing smoothly for you!
Aww thankyou ladies! Yes all is continuing well, 29 weeks for me tomorrow and still feeling fantastic. My fingers are definately crossed for a successful water birth but I'm open to other means on the day. Lol, Frenchkiwichick and I are doing antenatal classes together we found out so that's something else to look foward to over the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the advice!
Sign in to follow this topic