Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Private or Public?? hospital Rss

just wondering what peoples experiences were with their birth in regard to the hospital and if they went private or public? and what did it cost?

i was public all the way. cost me $0 smile nothing. didnt pay for any scans or anything

i had an emergency c-section at 34 weeks. staff and surgeon were great. stayed in hospital for 5 days in my own room. food was great and they fed my hubby.

baby was in SCBU the whole time. then hubby and I got to stay in the family room until DS was ready to be discharged at 8days old.

was a great experience. top notch. at north shore hospital in NZ smile
hi, i went public with my first, had labour induced at 35weeks due to pre-eclampsia and baby stayed in SCBU for 10 days, I had a great experience too. This was at Tauranga Hospital, I also payed $0 apart from scans which were $30 ea.

this pregnancy i have gone public again, I am being monitored closely due to prev history, and signs it may happen again, and have been happy with the care so far. I do have fortnightly growth scans which cost $30 but its all good. The only thing I find hard is I see a different OBS everytime I go to the hospital (fortnightly), depending on who is in clinic. My mum has asked me if I want them (parents) to pay for private care, but I don't want them to go to that expense if I am happy with everything so far.
I gave birth at Birthcare in Parnel. They are private and you would normally pay over $200 for a private room but because I gave birth there, everything was free, food, drink, private room etc. Spent 3 days there. I plan on doing the same for this bubs.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs143

that sounds so nice, i don't think we have anything like that in Tauranga yet.
Public births all the way with my 2 gorgeous girls..

Nothing bad to say with either. Both born at differnt hospitals, Box Hill and Dandenong.

The only thing that differed was the midwives.. Because DD1 was induced, it took all day so i had regualr midwives , so was able to get to know them befoer she was born.

DD2 made her enterance about 30mins after we arrived at the hospital so there wasnt much of a chance of a meetand greet before bubs came out!!

Maybe if i could really afford it adn wanted all the who ha about it then yes but with 2 great private storys i dont tink il change if theres a next time. :]

The great debate!

I have private health insurance and with DS1 went private. Bonuses for me were: same ob, not waiting too long for appointments, civilised waiting room situation, first baby so had more questions and I wanted an elective c-section. Cost about $3500 out of pocket after rebates. And as DS1 arrived early and ob was on holiday ended up with someone I had met ONCE delivering me.

4 years on I got some 'quotes' - is now $5-7K out of pocket. With bigger home and mortgage I was not keen. I work in health so went to RWH and asked - am borderline high risk this time (age/fertility issues) and asked very very nicely and they got me in. Would not do local public hossy but happy to do RWH. Downside is only 3 days in with c-section this time instead of 5 (milk came in at 5 last time so this is the only thing I am a tincy bit anxious about) and you do see someone different every time but I have done it before, 'get' health care if you know what I mean and have decided to suck it up so we are better of finacially. Have had to pay for some bloods and all my scans - they only do scans if you have twins plus or issues now at RWH. The different person every time is a tad tedious (last one said oh you had some PND last time? WTF? No, it says NO PND lady, read the notes properly, honestly) and they are a tad more 'precious' about things like breats feeding and pulling a cats bum face when I said over my dead body was I having a VBAC after drama of first birth but am a tough omlette AND work in health so I can cope - but might be off putting for some people.

I do not think the cost differential is reflected in the level of care you receive BUT more in the extras or nice to have bits like a slightly longer stay and more civilised rooms etc. In some countries you may see a difference but here you do not, it is all evidenced based.

I have done both Public & Private & had great experiences both times, though I preferred Private.

I went Public with DD1 as it was our only option (no Private Hospitals in our area). I saw a different Midwife every visit & had 2 scans which cost $30. I found the care quite good, but it was a little frustrating seeing someone different every time as every appointment I had to answer the same questions again & again.
When it came to the birth I found the Midwives hurried around alot & had 3 shift changes whilst I was in labour.
I stayed in Hospital for 5 days after the birth as I was having trouble breastfeeding. The nurses all had different views on how I should be feeding & I felt very rushed to leave. I also had to share a room with 2 other people-one being a very sick elderly woman & the other a feral-as-they-come new mother who swore at the top of her lungs & stunk of cigarette smoke. Overall not too bad, I didn't have any real issues that made it bad just a lot of little things that made it a little unpleasant at times.

With DD2 I went Private with St John Of God at Murdoch & I could not fault it one bit! My Obstetrician was incredible, I had scans at each visit, and although it was quite pricey (around the $4-5k mark) the care I recieved I would have paid a million dollars for! During the birth my Obst & the Midwives where fabulous! They looked after my husband so well, he loved it! The hospital itself was beautiful, I stayed for 4 nights, they where in no rush to get rid of me & encourage you stay as long as you like. All the staff-from the Midwives, Paediatrician to the Lunch ladies & Cleaners where so friendly & helpful. I had daily visits from my Obst although I required no pain relief after the birth & the Paediatrician came in daily too. I am actually quite sad that we won't be having any more children as I would love to go back & do it all again!

I think it just depends on which Hospital you go to & your circumstances, they are all so different.

I have done both Public & Private & had great experiences both times, though I preferred Private.

I went Public with DD1 as it was our only option (no Private Hospitals in our area). I saw a different Midwife every visit & had 2 scans which cost $30. I found the care quite good, but it was a little frustrating seeing someone different every time as every appointment I had to answer the same questions again & again.
When it came to the birth I found the Midwives hurried around alot & had 3 shift changes whilst I was in labour.
I stayed in Hospital for 5 days after the birth as I was having trouble breastfeeding. The nurses all had different views on how I should be feeding & I felt very rushed to leave. I also had to share a room with 2 other people-one being a very sick elderly woman & the other a feral-as-they-come new mother who swore at the top of her lungs & stunk of cigarette smoke. Overall not too bad, I didn't have any real issues that made it bad just a lot of little things that made it a little unpleasant at times.

With DD2 I went Private with St John Of God at Murdoch & I could not fault it one bit! My Obstetrician was incredible, I had scans at each visit, and although it was quite pricey (around the $4-5k mark) the care I recieved I would have paid a million dollars for! During the birth my Obst & the Midwives where fabulous! They looked after my husband so well, he loved it! The hospital itself was beautiful, I stayed for 4 nights, they where in no rush to get rid of me & encourage you stay as long as you like. All the staff-from the Midwives, Paediatrician to the Lunch ladies & Cleaners where so friendly & helpful. I had daily visits from my Obst although I required no pain relief after the birth & the Paediatrician came in daily too. I am actually quite sad that we won't be having any more children as I would love to go back & do it all again!

I think it just depends on which Hospital you go to & your circumstances, they are all so different.

Thats good to hear, i'm going to SJOG Murdoch, in fact maybe even today smile
i find it interesting that alot of public patients say they had lots of different midwives.
i had the same one all preg and she wasnt on duty when i was in labour but she came in anyway. even though i had c-section.
and she did all my post natal care too.
guess each hospital is different i loved north shore
that was public.

Thats good to hear, i'm going to SJOG Murdoch, in fact maybe even today smile

Oh you will love it, as I said I could not fault it! How exciting I hope it happens today smile May I ask who your Obst is?

Oh you will love it, as I said I could not fault it! How exciting I hope it happens today smile May I ask who your Obst is?

Dr Blair, he got lucky last night as my contractions stopped, i thought he may be getting called out of bed in the middle of the night smile
I was a public Patient with DS1, I was at Mt Gambier Hospital and they took really great care of me after my emerg c-section. I had 3 different MW's that i got to know them really well and even took them a thankyou basket of gooodies as a thankyou & a picture of my lil man. I think they loved that. smile

I will be going public again with this one Due in April, but at a different hospital, but i had heard so many different stories about this one that i am kinda worried about it.. My Sister and SIL both had horrible births at the hospital, they both needed an emerg c-section and both had fetal distress to the point their lil ones pooped b4 they got out. sad so I am terrified of having a GREAT first time experience to having a ROTTEN second time round.... grr..
Sign in to follow this topic