Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Natural Birth. Rss

Hi Ladies,
I was just wanting to get a few personal stories and opinions on Natural Births (with or with out pain relief).
I have been talking about it a lot with my partner and a few other friends and i wanna try and go for a complete natural, no pain relief birth (if bub agrees lol) and all the stories i read on labour etc all seem to have pain relief and or c-sections. I understand that obviously some things dont go according to plan and yes my birth plan may very well go out the window lol
Is there anyone out there who was able to do it naturally with out pain relief? If so what was your labour like?
If you did have pain relief what did you have and how did you think it effected your birth??
Thanks peoples and any comments would be appreciated smile
well mine was pain relief free but my labour was brought on had PE so they broke waters and i was put on a drip to make me have contractions i went from 3.30pm-8.45pm so i consider that to be short so i would not really know how i would have went or felt after being in labour for 8hours i probably would have been that tired that i would have asked for painrelief.
So as i was saying no pain relief so i went with the flow at first i was cold and needed my backed rubbed all the way through it helped as a distraction and i found breathing very good. When the pain was getting more nocticable i did not talk the whole way through i was more consintrating on the breathing i did not hold in anything i just let my body do what it had to. Expect a fart when the nurse went lol.
Near the end it felt like i was on fire so i had a wet towel draped over me it felt like i was in the dessert lol.
But in the end it turned out great it does hurt but its easy to forget aswell how painfull it was. Afterwards i could get up straight away and walk to my baby and have no side-effects of anything.
I watched a birthing documentry and the nurse was saying we all have different levels of pain we can handle. This young girl was giving birth and she was screaming too much and holding everything in i could just feel her pain in doing that. But i would just see how you go thats what i did and lucky for me i was able to cope with it. I found also that walking around helped and getting into positions that you want to go in not what the nurse wants you to do. Goodluck
Hi smile

Ive had 3 natural births but went in with the mindset of, if I needed pain relief, I would take it.

1st labour, I was induced and laboured mostly on the bed as I was on a drip and felt it uncomfortable to move around. It was painful but I breathed through each contraction and tried to tune everything else out. To be honest, pain relief never crossed my mind and it wasnt offered to me at all.

2nd labour, I went a week overdue and this labour was by far the worst out of 3. I was stressing out too much as I wasnt progressing much at all and IMO thats what made things worse for me. I spent a good hour in the shower which relieved the pain a little but the rest of the time I was on the bed. Pain relief was offered to me a number of times but each time I refused as I kept thinking it wasnt going to be going on much longer (little did I know!)I ended up giving in and had one suck of gas but I found it horrible and it didnt take the edge off at all. At the worst of the contraction, I tried to relax and once again tune out my surroundings and just breathed

3rd labour I went 10 days overdue and had a relitively quick but painful labour. I managed the pain this time by walking up and down the hallway or the path outside the hospital or i was laying in the bath. The only time I was sitting or laying down was when I was pushing. I felt the pain was worse while being still so I kept getting up and walking around. Pain relief wasnt offered to me and TBH, it didnt cross my mind. I kept thinking, ive done this twice before, so I can do it again. Now I regret not walking around in my previous 2 labours as I felt this helped move things along quicker with my 3rd labour.

My advice is to breathe, use water, keep active and during the worst part of the contractions, tune out to whatever is happening around you and just focus on getting through each contraction.

Good luck smile

Hi

i had a 26hr natural labour... i only used the gas to begin with but as the hours went by.... it was really uncomfortable... i had 2 pethidine shots and that only made me sleep between contractions but the pain was still bad.... then they gave me an episiotamy... however when the feet came out it was instant relief....

i think the pethidine shots made my son sleepy when he came out...

i wouldn't change that experience for the world....

Hi Ladies,
I was just wanting to get a few personal stories and opinions on Natural Births (with or with out pain relief).
I have been talking about it a lot with my partner and a few other friends and i wanna try and go for a complete natural, no pain relief birth (if bub agrees lol) and all the stories i read on labour etc all seem to have pain relief and or c-sections. I understand that obviously some things dont go according to plan and yes my birth plan may very well go out the window lol
Is there anyone out there who was able to do it naturally with out pain relief? If so what was your labour like?
If you did have pain relief what did you have and how did you think it effected your birth??
Thanks peoples and any comments would be appreciated smile

natural birth yes i have had the chance but my baby girl leeahnra was only 16wks when she was born miscarriage , i love the chance just the same .
im not against epi-durals but i never watched any documatrys on birth while pregnent as i was too scared to see so i knew what an epi did and have recently watched for example dr phill when his DIL was giving birth she had an epi and i just thought it looked so weird because she was sitting there all relaxed and being told when to push. It was very weird seeing this as i was there knowing when to push.
I was induced with the gel at 2pm contractions were getting intense by about 11pm (bubs was posteria the entire time ), 2am waters broke , 3am they walked me to the birthing suite (I was 8cm by then) midwife didnt ask she just pretty much said heres the gas now suck away . I had gas from 8cm until he was born at 6:57am , after half an hour of pushing.

It was intense , but I think I was in 'the zone' , I didnt speak I just relaxed and kept picturing a flower opening over and over . It did hurt but only in my back and hips , I think this was because bubs was posteria right up until I started pushing.

I was really tired because they gave me a sleeping tablet at 9pm to try let me have a sleep . But my back and hips hurt so much there was no way I was getting any sleep . I felt like crap form the sleeping tablet but I had to walk around to try make my back not hurt .

Ths time around Iam planning on a hypnobirth , I figure if I can get to 8cm with a posteria bub without pain relief I can go all the way with hypnobirthing.
I had a natural birth with my daughter and will definately be trying it again for next bubs. I was 9 days overdue and went through about 2 hrs of contractions (2mins apart the whole time) before i started on the gas. They broke my water 3hrs later as they weren't going to break themselves then about 2 hrs later they took the gas off of me because they said i wasn't pushing enough. The midwives told me to push and about 20 mins later my daughter was finally born, so i had gone through the actually delivery with no pain relief whatsoever and i am so proud of myself for doing it. I was really calm throughout the whoe labour, i think it definately helped that i had great midwives. The delivery was a quite painful more then i was expecting but not more then i could handle, i only got a slight tear which didn't need stiches and a graze and i was up walking around almost straight away. Good luck and i would definately suggest 9if you and bubs are ok) to give natural birth ago it is an experience like no other.
Thanks girls, ive heard of a few not-so-nice experiences with the gas, pethideine and epi's and i figured if i could do it without i would be very proud of myself smile lol getting a head of myself but people are scoffing when i say i wanna do it natural and with no pain relief but i dont want 'mess' up my head when im giving birth with drugs lol
smile
I think I had the perfect experience with my 3rd.
I started all natural, when it got too much I had gas, when that stopped working I got an epidural, but just enough to make the pain feel more like pressure and discomfort. I was still able to get up on all 4s to labour which I did and I had a wonderful vaginal birth which left me feeling so fantastic, except for the stitches of course sad
The main problem with epis is getting too much drug put through it and feeling nothing and having to lie on your back, if you get just a small amount of drug put in and can still move around, they are awesome, mum and bub are not effected in any bad way at all!

With my first i was willing to have whatever i needed to get me through and i begged for an epidural. Unfortunaley by the time i convinced the midwife i really needed it it was too far along so i couldnt have it. So i went along with nothing (i have had pethadine previously for another reason and all it did was make me sleep which i didnt want during labour.) I had nothing right up until DS's head was just about out and i had a little bit of gas but not alot. With DD, the pain with her was much more unbearable towards the end so i used more gas with her than i did with DS, but still only in the very end stages.
when i fell pregnant with my 1st i was determaned to have a natural water birth with no drugs except gas if required i swore i was never going to have an epi cause i have scoliosis & was worried about them getting in the wrong spot i lasted 10hrs with no drugs tried the gas but made me throw up straight away, i begged the midwife 4 an epidural she didnt want me to have 1 cause she new how much i was against it but agreed to me having it, they did get the needle in the wrong spot but when they did get it on the nxt attempt it was great just enough to take the edge of the pain so i could rest abit i was totally exhusted, had not lsting impact of the needle being put in the wrong spot, im due to have my second baby in 2wks time & have not done a birth plan as such this time have just told them i would really love to try for a natural water birth again but am happy to go with the flow of things & do & have wat ever needs to be done to have our little bub safe & healthy, i was worried my obstetrician would not agree to me trying 4 a water birth agian as i had apost partem haemarogge while he was preparing to stitch me up last time but he has agreed to they just have to have precations in place 4 me this time ie: iv canullar in case i need transfusion, Good luck with ur birth !
Sign in to follow this topic