Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Opinons please :) Rss

Hi girls,

I am after some opinons please. To those who have had a birth with drugs and a birth without, which one did you find better for you? Thankyou smile
With my older 2 I had nothing with DD#2 I had a spinal block put in just before she was born because she was an emergency c/s, I have still got back pain from it now.
So for me the 2 with out were better.
myself i like no drugs i had pethadine with ds and felt really weird after i had him i was tierd i was sick cause of the pethadine..

With dd i had no drugs and was the best felt great and remember it all at time i wanted some drugs but i like to look back and think i used nothing
I have had 4 children, 1 was a Homebirth not planned. I had gas with 1 made me feel quiet sick so the other 2 where drug free. Also I feel I may of been to far along to ask for any pain relief medication anyway.

Hi, it may depend on how long your labour is, my first DD I was in labour with the bad contractions for about four hours and had a epidural (heaven) with my second DD the whole labour process was so quick by the time I got to the hospital she was already nearly out. So I didnt get time for anything.
With my third I had and epi about six hours of painful contractions. Depends on your pain threshold.
Too me drugs or no drugs it depends on how you are at time and what your own beliefs are
Hi! I had gas with DD, than a spinal block for the emergency C/S. The gas was good! I don't remember much of what happened though! I do remember it took the edge out of the contractions, but you have to use it right! The nurse had my turned up high at one point and it made me quite ill, and i was severly dehydrated once bub was born, i was on a drip for 28 hours. The spinal block was good but i too also have back problems now from it. Even if you plan to have or not have drugs, when you are in the heat of the moment things change!
[Edited on 11/06/2008]

nothing here.. probably wish i did.. i had a very long lqbour

Thanks for your replies.
The reason i ask as last time i had all the drugs options and felt as if i had no control. I was so out of it and when it came to pushing it took me 2 hours with lots of stitching. I want to try to have a drug free birth but am scared i am uncapable. sad
with my 1st baby I got through the first 17 hours with no drugs then had the gas(great), pethidine(useless) and finally begged for an epidural which took 3 hours to find the anaethsist those 3 hours were the worst 3 hours of my life then ended up in surgery after a failed forceps attempt then the next 2 births were c sections due to placenta previa (2nd) and a thin uterus wall(3rd) so I am not really qualified to answer your Q .If I was able to have had a VBAC I would have asked for an epidural because I knew how much relief it gave quickly.all in all,I was pleased to have gone through 17 hours before succumbing to the drugs, never knew that I could do it that long sorry didnt a have an answer just rambling on....

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

It really depends on the birth
DS was induced and high risk, they gave me an epi as there was a high chance he'd be a caeser, I didn;t feel much at all and I'm glad I didn;t as he was a high forceps very due to distress.

DD1 I had an epi but it was only a small amount and had worn off by the time she was delivered - I said never again as I felt everything as she was crowning as she took a while to be born.

DD2 I had a shot of peth early on, then just used gas which I loved, I went from being 5cm dilated to delivering in 2mins so I didn;t get time to feel any burning or real pain and I was told that I delivered her while my body was still in the transition stage so I was a bit out of it when she was coming out.

I found I liked the gas as it gave me something else to focus on - breathing - and once I stopped brething it, the sensation was gone unlike pethadine.
hi there

just remember in the end its your decision which way you go!

i've had 3 babies in 3 years so they are all fresh in my mind an im due to have my 4th in october. with dd1 i said i didnt want anything, i was induced with all 3 and will be again due to medical reasons. but as far as pain relief goes, i was in labour for 14 hours with dd1 after 10 hours i was really not coping at all so they asked me if i wanted anything, i said yes the gas wasnt helping and i wanted smething stronger due to my complications ob didnt want to risk anything so he said the only thing i could have was an epidural, i hesitated but then said ok. i loved the relief i got from it however it did slow my labour down and i was unable to move around, also had to have a catheder (sp?) in. they say you cant feel the natural urge to push with an epi but i did. i also had an anteriorlip. sh came out in the end after hours of pain and pushing.

with dd2 my labour happen far too quickly for me to have anything but a few sucks on the gas, i had it in my head it was going to be another 14 hour labour it was only 3.5 hours. i held off as long as i could just on gas but the contractions were so strong gas done nothing i begged for an epidural and well i past the pont of an epi and they had to say no. i done it with only a few sucks of gas so pretty much no drugs. the outcome was just as great as it was with dd1.

with dd3 it was very similar to dd2 however when begged for the epi the midwife checked if it was too late or not and i was only 5cm so he went and called for anethetist (sp?) came back i ask how long till he gets here he said 20 mins i said not good enough i need it now he said but he has to come fom home we have time its ok, i said nope too late this baby is comming now he said impossible ur only 5cm i rolled onto my back myself, spread my legs and started pushing, midwif went into panic mode looked and could see the head pushing through then told my sister to go tell nurse to call an cancel anethetist also to get another midwife in and 1hour later she was born, it took so long to push her out because she was a posterior baby. so another one pretty much drug free except for a few sucks of the gas towards the middle of my labour.

i will be going in there this time with the mindset of i've done both types of labours so take it as it comes. whatever happens happens so long as my baby comes out safely healthy and alive.
Posted by: my3littleangels
hi there

with dd3 it was very similar to dd2 however when begged for the epi the midwife checked if it was too late or not and i was only 5cm so he went and called for anethetist (sp?) came back i ask how long till he gets here he said 20 mins i said not good enough i need it now he said but he has to come fom home we have time its ok, i said nope too late this baby is comming now he said impossible ur only 5cm i rolled onto my back myself, spread my legs and started pushing, midwif went into panic mode looked and could see the head pushing through then told my sister to go tell nurse to call an cancel anethetist also to get another midwife in and 1hour later she was born, it took so long to push her out because she was a posterior baby. so another one pretty much drug free except for a few sucks of the gas towards the middle of my labour.

You just described by birth with #3!!!
I only had 2 mins betwenn being 5cms and delivery but same thing I begged for the epi, they said we'll call the OB and th examinedme and said yep you're only 5cms and offered a shot of peth to get me through til the epi, she was 1/2 way through puttin the peth in and I said STOP I am pushing, she said you can;t be you're not ready, they rolled me over and said stop pushing bubs is crowning, I said I can;t and there she was!!!
No time for pain!!LOL!!

Also to the OP, when I had an epi with DD1 it was only a small dose so I could still feel pretty much everything just took the edge off, I couldn't walk but didn;t have to ave a catheder as I could feel the urge to wee and they gave me a pan
Sign in to follow this topic