1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. I hope that everyone who is thinking about spelling their child's name

I hope that everyone who is thinking about spelling their child's name Lock Rss

this post.... lol

https://www.huggies.com.au/forum/topic/2671714-do-you-like-your-name/

Lots of honest comments about people getting annoying with having to spell out their names all the time.

Is OVER rude people

I don't necessarily think people being asked to spell their names is that big a deal. I've had to do it all my life too.

There are also so many different ways to spell names these days even though they are pronounced the same.

As in Megan - Meagan, Meghan there's 3 different ways & it is not an untradtional name.

Same with Caitlin, Caitlyn, Kaitlyn, Katelyn etc.

Mark & Marc; Nicholas, Nickolas, Nicklaus; Matthew, Mathew etc.

My name is unusual (no-one has ever heard of it before) BUT it is a traditional name from a country (family heritage region) where the name is quite common. It is not an untradtional spelling.

A lot of the spellings come from the country of origin.

I think people are more likely to get upset with an incorrect spelling of their name rather than being asked about the spelling so it is correct.
I decided on a very popular and simple name for DS - Jack.
But i wouldn't be surprised if he grows up having to spell his name. These days people might spell it Jak or something like that..
I have a common name but its still spelt 3 different ways - Rachel. People say 'a-e-l or e-a-l?' And i'm like 'nope.. just e-l'.
I have a super common name, the most common spelling of that name, but I am often asked how to spell it. I don't mind. I have to spell my last name too which is 4 letters.
I think most names are asked for the spelling as the person asking needs your correct details, so spelling should be checked.
There are some wacky names out there, but at the end of the day, normal names need spelling, so different names are going to need spelling just as often!

I decided on a very popular and simple name for DS - Jack.
But i wouldn't be surprised if he grows up having to spell his name. These days people might spell it Jak or something like that..
I have a common name but its still spelt 3 different ways - Rachel. People say 'a-e-l or e-a-l?' And i'm like 'nope.. just e-l'.

My name is Rachel as well and i get that all the time too just goes to show the most common of names have numerous spellings. it's coming to a time everyone will be asked how to spell there name as nearly all names have an alternative spelling

It's pronunciation that gets me mostly, no one ever spells my first name right and if you remember my maiden name people without fail always spelled it wrong. I constantly get asked if Sarah's name has a H or not even though it is really common and to me Sara is a completely different name. It does my head in though when I spend half an hour trying to spell my name for people and then they ask me how to pronounce it as well.
It doesn't matter what you call them...I have a Jed and still get asked if it's one D or 2.

My name is Aleata, and when someone asks what my name is I say Aleata like a litre of milk, A l e a t a. That's just standard for me.

It has never bothered me, I will start to worry about myself if it ever does!
I always get asked to spell my name. Its Anne-Marie but can be spelt quite a few ways, its just natural for me to confirm how to spell it, i dont think twice about it.
DD's name is claire and i still get people who spell it wrong (clare or clair) even tho its quite a common name.
I have such a traditional name (Hayley) but I still have to spell it every time! There are so many different ways to spell it. When I was younger no one could spell my full name. I would constantly get awards, graduation certificates etc at school with my first, middle and last name spelt wrong!! I don't even wait for people to ask me to spell it. It's so automatic now that I start spelling it for people.

My DD also has a traditional name (Maddison) and I have to spell that for people to.
When DS1 was born the nurse went to write Andrew on the card and stopped dead, looked at me and said "Is it spelled the traditonal way?" We then spent 20 minutes laughing and coming up with the horrifying alternatives. They see it all. My Andrew was the first Andrew they had had in Special care in almost 19 years.

I think people should think about those weirder spellings for more than the inconvenience of being asked spelling or being spelt incorrectly for life. It also affects what people think of you and your child and there is research on how it affects job and career success.

I have two old fashioned and easy to spell boys names and I have a family girls name planned for any future girls. This like Meagan/Megan/Meghan has multiple regular spellings. I wish it didn't but at least it is recognisable.
I'm constantly telling people how to spell DS1's name. It's Brody, so when I say his name I always say with a Y. Natural habit now.
I love that my name is hard to spell and pronounce if you havent heard it before, it's funny to see what people come up with grin Karleah, Carlia, Kalia, Carleah it goes on and on and on hehehe my partners brother even called me Mikayla LMAO!!
Sign in to follow this topic