Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion.

My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion. Lock Rss

Hey! Yeah, it was Jason Lee who named his child Inspektor Pilot - I do think that is a weird name indeed! And I have heard, though not looked into it, that Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter Apple after a little girl who is a burns victim she worked with on a movie. I could be wrong about that though! Also, I read a book a little while ago where the main character is Ignatius - he shortened it to Nate. There was no reference to it being a funny name. It is very old fashioned and sounds a bit funny now, but it is a genuine name! There are so many things kids today can get picked on about, there is absolutely no way, in most cases, to know who will get picked on, or not.

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Posted by: lukes*mum
Posted by: Mum2Harrison
Not targeting this at anyone in particular - but I think naming your child something obscure/weird/unique is child abuse! Especially when people are making up names!

Do parents not realise they are setting their child up for bullying when they hit school?

I think its very cruel and selfish of parents to decide not to 'follow the norm' to some tiny extent when it comes to naming their children.

Anyone agree with me?
I havnt read a single reply to this thread and I am not to sure I will even bother !!

I have 2 things to say to the OP !!

Firstly ...how dare you deem something you see as "not right" as child abuse ...this is not for you to decide ...child abuse is a serious and incredable damaging thing ...and you go and bandy the word around like it is nothing ....this is wrong and I would like you to edit your origional post ..it is offensive to all those who have suffered abuse in any way .....child abuse is being smacked around ...refussed bacis needs nad being mentally put down and degreded ....not having an unusual name ....I am not a surviver of child abuse and I find it offensive ...imagine how those who have suffered feel ??????

and secondly .....who cares ??? you name your child what you like and I will name mine what I like ...as long as it is in line with the law ...who gives a ratts ???? I am tierd of reading threads that are whoely and souly directed at making someone feel stupid !! ...I am sick of it ...

what would you do if one of the nicest people in the forum had chosen somethign like ....i dont know ....ignatious as their cilds name ....not only will they now feel stupid but they are now labeled a child abuser ....

this thread topic should have stayed in your head ...!! ....this is not constructive at all !!

Well said.
I also think that Harrison is not so common, I don't know of one child called this. Having said that I don't think that it is child abuse just because I don't like it or know anyone with this name...

I actually know a baby named Lucy Buttercup, it's from the movie 'The Princess Bride', It's kind of cute as a middle name. I also like Ignatius, much more than I like Harrison but that's just me. I know Luke's mum was just using this name as an example off the top of her head but other than liking her example of a bad name I totally agree with her, well said. smile
Posted by: TwoBabyBoys
Kids can be cruel. If they want to tease u they will find SOMETHING, even if ur name is common!

Most of my friends have uncommon names. We were all popular and never teased! I guess it just depends on the person!

Back when I was in school (albeit 7 years ago now) people who said they were "popular" generally weren't!

This might be in ur case. But i actually was smile

Ha ha ha! Yeah, right!
Not targeting this at anyone in particular - but I think naming your child something obscure/weird/unique is child abuse! Especially when people are making up names!

Do parents not realise they are setting their child up for bullying when they hit school?

I think its very cruel and selfish of parents to decide not to 'follow the norm' to some tiny extent when it comes to naming their children.

Anyone agree with me?
I havnt read a single reply to this thread and I am not to sure I will even bother !!

Firstly ...how dare you deem something you see as "not right" as child abuse ...this is not for you to decide ...child abuse is a serious and incredable damaging thing ...and you go and bandy the word around like it is nothing ....this is wrong and I would like you to edit your origional post ..it is offensive to all those who have suffered abuse in any way .....child abuse is being smacked around ...refussed bacis needs nad being mentally put down and degreded ....not having an unusual name ....I am not a surviver of child abuse and I find it offensive ...imagine how those who have suffered feel ??????

and secondly .....who cares ??? you name your child what you like and I will name mine what I like ...as long as it is in line with the law ...who gives a ratts ???? I am tierd of reading threads that are whoely and souly directed at making someone feel stupid !! ...I am sick of it ...

what would you do if one of the nicest people in the forum had chosen somethign like ....i dont know ....ignatious as their cilds name ....not only will they now feel stupid but they are now labeled a child abuser ....

this thread topic should have stayed in your head ...!! ....this is not constructive at all !!

COuldnt have said it better myself!

Also mum2harrison a lot of ppl made some really good comments but the only thing u reply to is my lame joke/comment bout popularity??

Nothing else to say ha smile

AKA Chante

Anyone agree with me?

COuldnt have said it better myself!

Also mum2harrison a lot of ppl made some really good comments but the only thing u reply to is my lame joke/comment bout popularity??

Why the need to get 'one up'????

Nothing wrong with what Mum2harrison has said and as Franny put it she has disagreed with none of this tit for tat nonsense actually with no silly nonsensical crap at all...

*sigh*

Yes, I chose to reply to that 'lame' popularity joke as it was the most interesting thing I've read on the majority of replies. I did not want this to turn into a tit-for-tat, but what the hell - its a Sunday, my baby is asleep and I have 5 minutes to spare. So lets do this.

*sigh* This has already brought up in this thread (to which I have previously replied. Perhaps if you HAD bothered to read other posts, then perhaps YOUR comments would have been more contructive. But lets revisit shall we?

dakotagrace posted a text book description of child abuse. One of the definitions were, and I quote:

* Emotional abuse includes constant yelling, threatening, scaring a child, belittling them or playing games with their emotions.

Is not setting your child up for ridicule by naming him/her something obscure/made up emotional abuse?

And I mean c'mon people - we're talking about names like Apple, Adolph Hitler & Archeron here!

And why cannot I deem something as I not see right as child abuse? I mean, lets be honest, what I have said meets the criteria. Its not like I've made something up willy-nilly. And also, honey, this is Australia and we all have the right to freedom of speech smile

Sweety, I would love to know who I'm directing this at as the original post isn't targerting anyone. It was a general comment on society. *yawn*. Still with me?

Ignatious = NOT child abuse
Adolph Hitler = child abuse

And once again, I would love to know who I made feel stupid? Are there people in Huggies land who name their children after pieces of fruit nad Nazi dictators?

For you perhaps smile

And I really did not want this to turn into one of those petty little high school arguments - but it seems some people cannot help themselves... including myself now obviously.
I can't believe you are still defending this, oh well.
Also, the name was Acheron, it's greek and means river of sorrow. C'mon, if you are going to deem it child abuse at least get it right.
It's generally not the other children who tease and make fun of an unusual name, but rather adults who are stuck in their ways. I prefer traditional names and have been guilty of screwing up my nose at the more unusual names. As a teacher, I often look at my new class list and think 'what the heck were they thinking?'.
For me it's when people change the spelling of a common name to make it special. Why - you still say it the same way!!!!

I know someone named Robynne. Why?
Nedd?
Davvid?

However, people will name their children as they please and the true test will be how long the child keeps using the name as they get older. smile

Robyn
The person who came on and started saying ' How dare you deem something that you see as not rite as child abuse'..
You do know that she was justusing a word .(Probably not the best of phrases..BUT). Like OMG THATS SO GAY . If you were gay would you get offended ?
She did not mean to offend anyone . And She is talking about the more ridiculous names like ADOLF HITLER , INSPEKTOR PILOT, KAL-EL(Nicholas Cage's Son) MT. WELLINGTON BUSTOP , TALULA-DOES-THE-HULA???(Why i will never know !). And someone having the indescentsie to name there child something like STIN-KASS OR SHI-TOLE.. REAL names hun ! Someone would have to have the idea of child abuse in mind when naming their child Stuff Like that . I dont think anyone should get very worked up about this and start fighting ! It is getting very childish now . Mum2Harrison( Harrison I mite add being actually a very common name to everyone who doesnt think so, mite be odd , but Still COMMON)was just putting her two cents in ,As she said . im going to be the mature 15yo and say , enough is enough . Stop picking on people that are not afraid to speak their mind and worry about HUNGER AND POVERTY !! For goodness sakes ! Name your child as you wish ! Just do not go and Name it SHI-TOLING-AS-SFACE-COC-KRING !
STop now ! Everyone .

The person who came on and started saying ' How dare you deem something that you see as not rite as child abuse'..
You do know that she was justusing a word .(Probably not the best of phrases..BUT). Like OMG THATS SO GAY . If you were gay would you get offended ?
She did not mean to offend anyone . And She is talking about the more ridiculous names like ADOLF HITLER , INSPEKTOR PILOT, KAL-EL(Nicholas Cage's Son) MT. WELLINGTON BUSTOP , TALULA-DOES-THE-HULA???(Why i will never know !). And someone having the indescentsie to name there child something like STIN-KASS OR SHI-TOLE.. REAL names hun ! Someone would have to have the idea of child abuse in mind when naming their child Stuff Like that . I dont think anyone should get very worked up about this and start fighting ! It is getting very childish now . Mum2Harrison( Harrison I mite add being actually a very common name to everyone who doesnt think so, mite be odd , but Still COMMON)was just putting her two cents in ,As she said . im going to be the mature 15yo and say , enough is enough . Stop picking on people that are not afraid to speak their mind and worry about HUNGER AND POVERTY !! For goodness sakes ! Name your child as you wish ! Just do not go and Name it SHI-TOLING-AS-SFACE-COC-KRING !
STop now ! Everyone .

I think times are changing and it is becoming more "accepted" if you will, that unusual and unique names are being used.

There are a large number of children with unique names in my 5 yr old DD's class at school and none of the children ridicule each other because of their names. They just accept it. I have also watched older children at the school with these children and they dont ridicule them either. Same thing goes for my younger children's daycare centre.

I also believe that your child chooses their name themself before they are born. You may not believe this, but its my belief.

People with "common/normal" names are open to just as much bullying because of their name than a person with a unique name. I have a common name and kids managed to find ways to tease me with it.

So no, i dont think it can be likened to child abuse.

And yes i am a mother of several children with unique names.

Sign in to follow this topic