Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion.

My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion. Lock Rss

I just cant understand why names is an issue. You either like a name or you don't. But why would it annoy you, if you don't like it don't call your child it.
If it is a offensive in anyway then the government will not allow it. So I really don't think it is child abuse if you call your baby "apple", just overly creative.
I have an original name and to this day people still can't pronounce it properly, it annoys me but I still feel happy that my mum gave me a name that she put thought into it.
As for having just plain names and not being teased. I really liked the name Lucy, as my boys have old names. So when I told my parents, they said no way she'll get called Juicy Lucy. I would have never thought of that...so it just shows it doesn't matter what name it is, if someone wants to bully you, they will.

My name is unusual, although there seems to be a few of us on here (danae) anyways I'm very shy and it has never bothered me having to spell it or tell people how to say it, what gets me is having to spell my surname (manning) to dumb twits. Mind you i have a friend called Emma, and she has been asked how to spell her name!??! I ususally refuse to wear name tags (except at work) cause i gotta tell people how to say it!! (or the spend to long staring at my nametag, which is usually pinned to my chest...)

Incidently I met a girl once who's mum had made up her name: Dannae, needless to say she was shocked to find it was already a name!!!

Posted by: Kaitie & Haydens Mum
Posted by: dakotagrace

I am offended by the use of abuse considering the horrific death of

Nia Glassey

(this is just my personal view point as you have yours)

Wow this is your "personal view" yet it is quoted straight from a text book!!!

Her personal view is that she is offended by the use of the word abuse...
[Edited on 25/12/2008]
i think there are some ridiculous names out there. i'm talking white trash ridiculous. and i'm sure i've read about kids with strong, popular names tend to be more successful in life & popular at school/life, etc...

anyway, they're not my kids so call them what you like. however, i do feel not feeding your children properly is child abuse. why in the world is there so many overweight toddlers & children? being an overweight adult is YOUR choice, making the wrong choices for your children nutritionally, thus resulting in fat kids is not fair to those children.

that's my 2 cents...

um. depends how far out they go. like fish and chips for twins is just plain pathetic.

but made up names are alright. my name is made up. and i am fine with it. there are even a few more on facebook.
I have a very common name, and during my time at school I was always one of five in my year named Kelly and I was teased horribly. Children can be horrible and will tease/bully you regardless of what your name is. I don't agree that it is child abuse unless it is something really extreme and Births, Deaths and Marriages wouldn't approve of a really horrible name.
Posted by: Mum2Harrison
Posted by: TwoBabyBoys
Kids can be cruel. If they want to tease u they will find SOMETHING, even if ur name is common!

Most of my friends have uncommon names. We were all popular and never teased! I guess it just depends on the person!

Back when I was in school (albeit 7 years ago now) people who said they were "popular" generally weren't!

This might be in ur case. But i actually was smile

AKA Chante

Kids can be cruel. If they want to tease u they will find SOMETHING, even if ur name is common!

Most of my friends have uncommon names. We were all popular and never teased! I guess it just depends on the person!

Back when I was in school (albeit 7 years ago now) people who said they were "popular" generally weren't!

This might be in ur case. But i actually was smile

O FF S
I dont think its abuse ??
But Calling your child something like Reality or Dodge ??
My family friend wants to call her unborn child buttercup ! No joke ! Shes fully serious ! I think names are really stupid when you name them like Miracle or Special .. Or TREASURE !!! Or Something like Rythm !! WHHHYYY MUST YOUR DO THAT !!!!! They Will get teased ! No doubt and its gonna be you that has to deal with it .
well i dunno exactly what to say but i think i might consider such celebratory names as

Inspector Pilot (Yes real first and second name!)
Apple

As unfair and mean namings
Surely you realise naming your Child Inspector Pilot is going to result in bullying!!!!! And i think even a 3 year old could make up a tease for someone named Apple!

Mum to Campbell (7) Kaitlyn (2) and Pippa (newborn

Not targeting this at anyone in particular - but I think naming your child something obscure/weird/unique is child abuse! Especially when people are making up names!

Do parents not realise they are setting their child up for bullying when they hit school?

I think its very cruel and selfish of parents to decide not to 'follow the norm' to some tiny extent when it comes to naming their children.

Anyone agree with me?
I havnt read a single reply to this thread and I am not to sure I will even bother !!

I have 2 things to say to the OP !!

Firstly ...how dare you deem something you see as "not right" as child abuse ...this is not for you to decide ...child abuse is a serious and incredable damaging thing ...and you go and bandy the word around like it is nothing ....this is wrong and I would like you to edit your origional post ..it is offensive to all those who have suffered abuse in any way .....child abuse is being smacked around ...refussed bacis needs nad being mentally put down and degreded ....not having an unusual name ....I am not a surviver of child abuse and I find it offensive ...imagine how those who have suffered feel ??????

and secondly .....who cares ??? you name your child what you like and I will name mine what I like ...as long as it is in line with the law ...who gives a ratts ???? I am tierd of reading threads that are whoely and souly directed at making someone feel stupid !! ...I am sick of it ...

what would you do if one of the nicest people in the forum had chosen somethign like ....i dont know ....ignatious as their cilds name ....not only will they now feel stupid but they are now labeled a child abuser ....

this thread topic should have stayed in your head ...!! ....this is not constructive at all !!
cate blanchette named her third boy ignatious.

i think it was james lee from 'my name is earl' that named his son inspektor pilot.

half the time kids get nicknames anyway as they get older (good and bad ones!) so half the time people dont even remember what their 'real' name is!

Sign in to follow this topic